Imac, Catalina to Big Sur.

Clipper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur (11.4).
Catalina - switch on to ready to use 30 seconds.
Big Sur - switch on to ready to use 4minutes :mad::mad::mad:
It's a 2019 iMac, 27", 40GB RAM and just over half of the 1TB Fusion drive used.
I did the upgrade just after Big Sur was released and got the slow down then, so I swapped back to Catalina.
Anything obvious to check? or shall just say f**k it and go back to Catalina.

Not the same switch but close. Went from High Sierra to Big Sur (11.4) no noticeable difference on start up. The HS is on a 2012 MBP and BS on a M1 MBA. But very little difference in the start up time. I would say 10 seconds to desk top page.

Following advice given I just put my MBA to sleep now and by time the lid is open its ready to go. The battery loss overnight is virtually zero. In contrast the MBA would continue using the battery and its overnight power loss was noticeable.

If you're going to be powering down your iMac overnight then 4 minutes is a bummer. Having just got used to BS in the last 2 weeks I think its OK but I found HS to be just as good for my needs. I did a clean install of my data from my MBP.

If you were happy with the previous OS downgrade and get your start up time back to acceptable levels.

I would be thinking of backing up all data and do a clean install of BS. Run BS without doing any migration of data and see what your start up times are. That would be my first option.

On start up is the OS trying to download something from iCloud, photos for example.

Macrumours is a good source of info, have a browse your issue may be covered.

There must be an issue somewhere as I upgraded my standard late 2015 iMac to Big Sur very recently and I haven’t noticed any difference in start up times.

There must be an issue somewhere as I upgraded my standard late 2015 iMac to Big Sur very recently and I haven’t noticed any difference in start up times.

Watching with interest as I'm still debating whether to go from Mojave to Big Sur. I still run some 32 bit apps but I can run those in Windows in Parallels if I need to. Any advantage in moving?

Big Sur doesn't like our one year old Brother printer - printer good on Catalina.

There's a work around but it's 'clunky' I've left this MBP on Catalina.

:rob Seems like there is problem with some fusion drives and Big Sur.
I've rebooted back to Catalina and a 30 second start up. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom