Service warning

Y7 JMM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had my bike serviced and latest TFT update here in France, on the ride home the service light came up on the dash, a little triangle!! Is there a way to turn it off or do i need to return to the dealer?

Just had my bike serviced and latest TFT update here in France, on the ride home the service light came up on the dash, a little triangle!! Is there a way to turn it off or do i need to return to the dealer?

You sure it’s the service light? Is it saying next service in x kilometers or by x date? They should have reset it with the service

You can turn it off but not without special equipment, but either way as you’ve just come from the dealer it shouldn’t be on, get them to sort it

I have the gear to do it but I’m quite a way from you

Check key fob battery, put in new and start bike and see if triangle go away.

Check key fob battery, put in new and start bike and see if triangle go away.

Why all the guesswork?

If the TFT comes up with a yellow triangle, there will also be a message that explains the warning.

If the warning is a service reminder, then it's a matter of returning to dealer and have them reset the service reminder, as this is part of the service.

For other messages, if message has not popped up during power-up, the message may be reviewed in the TFT. The messages will be found by hitting the TFT and go for the My Vehicle menu. Select the pages for ride computer, and when clicking for the #2 computer, keep clicking, and the menu will get to the messages and display whatever it is that triggers the triangle..

Why all the guesswork?

If the TFT comes up with a yellow triangle, there will also be a message that explains the warning.

If the warning is a service reminder, then it's a matter of returning to dealer and have them reset the service reminder, as this is part of the service

Hence my first question :thumb2

Did you have it serviced in Perigueux? They are normally quite good in the workshop.

Service

Hi mate. Service is around 4000 miles I got my bike at 26000 so next sevice 30000 but the dealer had set it 12 mouths or 1000 miles so plugged my obd lx in reset it myself is your bike keyless like my bike or key should show sevice in dark letters all the best vince:stolzy

Hi mate. Service is around 4000 miles I got my bike at 26000 so next sevice 30000 but the dealer had set it 12 mouths or 1000 miles so plugged my obd lx in reset it myself is your bike keyless like my bike or key should show sevice in dark letters all the best vince:stolzy

Service is 6000 miles or 12 months whatever comes first.

Yes, one dealer I bought a bike from tried (unsuccessfully) to convince me that 6 months and 1,000 miles since an annual service, the bike needed a 6K service “because the 6K must be done at mileage”. After we discussed the merits of changing the oil after 1,000 miles, the difference between an annual and a 6K (very little), and the fact that the manual states annual or 6K miles from last service, he reluctantly agreed it probably wasn’t necessary. This may be why some dealers get the “stealer” moniker :D
Oddly my TFT has been warning me that it’s overdue a service at 5,900 miles, despite being serviced a few months ago at 5,400. What’s strange is that even if the last service hadn’t been recorded, it’s still 700 miles short of the 6K since last service. This happened after a TFT upgrade so there may be a bug in one of the updates.

BMW dealers do not survive from bike sales alone. That could be one of the reasons that our bikes have an oil change interval of 6000 miles whereas the BMW cars with variable oil changes will go on for 20 to 30 thousand miles. I appreciate that the car has a bigger oil sump than a bike, but surly some oil analysis at 6000 miles would show that the oil is still fully functional.

BMW dealers do not survive from bike sales alone. That could be one of the reasons that our bikes have an oil change interval of 6000 miles whereas the BMW cars with variable oil changes will go on for 20 to 30 thousand miles. I appreciate that the car has a bigger oil sump than a bike, but surly some oil analysis at 6000 miles would show that the oil is still fully functional.

Cars usually hold around 5 litres and bikes around 4, I guess the main difference is that smaller bike engines are in a higher state of tune, you can get 150 or 200 hp from a 2 litre car engine or the same from a 1 litre bike engine

I can justify oil changes every 1000kms on a bike engine but to be honest the time based schedule is purely commercial

To be honest I don’t like running the oil for that long (30k). I think it’s too long.

I think the long service interval has more to do with saving money on the inclusive servicing packages with new cars. And I don’t reckon the modern high compression engines are going to last beyond 100k without a bunch of work.
BMW want you to rinse and repeat a new vehicle every 2-3 years. They don’t care about it after that.

To be honest I don’t like running the oil for that long (30k). I think it’s too long.

I think the long service interval has more to do with saving money on the inclusive servicing packages with new cars. And I don’t reckon the modern high compression engines are going to last beyond 100k without a bunch of work.
BMW want you to rinse and repeat a new vehicle every 2-3 years. They don’t care about it after that.

We used to carry out oil analysis on aircraft engines, but could also test our own oil. A fully synthetic oil will last a very long time. A mineral needs additives that break down with miles and needs changing much more often, in the old days we would chuck a can of Wynns or STP in to top up the additives.
HGVs carry much more oil but even their diesel engines go for hundreds of thousands of miles before a change.
It is your bike so you should do what you feel comfortable with.

BMW car service warnings are never longer than 2 years for low mileage cars or around 18k miles. Cars that record 20 to 30k servicing do so because of the owners reluctance to book it in on time. :aidan

Cars have a separate engine and gearbox, they can use different oils in each to suit the needs of different environments.
Motorcycles have the engine and gearbox as a single unit and the same oil has to work for both parts, the gearbox acts like a blender and breaks down the oil a lot faster than an engine alone would. Gearbox oil is too thick for an engine and engine oil is too thin for a gearbox, so in bikes it's a compromise. The oil has a hard life and has to changed more frequently compared to cars. Oil designed for use in car engines should not be used in motorcycles as they are designed to do a different job.

Cars have a separate engine and gearbox, they can use different oils in each to suit the needs of different environments.
Motorcycles have the engine and gearbox as a single unit and the same oil has to work for both parts, the gearbox acts like a blender and breaks down the oil a lot faster than an engine alone would. Gearbox oil is too thick for an engine and engine oil is too thin for a gearbox, so in bikes it's a compromise. The oil has a hard life and has to changed more frequently compared to cars. Oil designed for use in car engines should not be used in motorcycles as they are designed to do a different job.

In most cases yes. All the A series engines in Minis etc had combined engine and gear oil. The vast majority of BMWs bike engines had separate gearbox oil and dry clutches. Oil designed for wet clutches should be used in bikes with wet clutches, but all the older BMWs over 10 years old can use any car oil with their dry clutches and separate gear oils.
I still stand by the EFDC oil analysis that I used to be able to do.
As I said everyone can do what they want on their own bike, but BMW is still looking after the bike dealers. Ducati can manage 9000 miles on an oil change with an integral gearbox and a wet clutch.

Never trust the French :doris

Really don't understand that comment. BMWs are German, mine is anyway. If it was aimed at me then I am half German, half English.

Back
Top Bottom