BMW Alarm questions please fellas (Again Sorry)

Adventure Boy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry another question about the BMW GS alarm again!

Going to the dealers on Friday to have BMW alarm installed however having second thoughts, with my bit of discount the alarm is still costing £253 which seems like alot of money to me bearing in mind I can get a Meta cat 1 system for around £100 and i'll fit it myself.
Could someone who has the BMW alarm installed please tell me do the indicators flash when setting, unsetting and activation of the alarm system?
Is the system a thatham cat 1 or 2 and apart from being able to set and unset from the BMW keyless key does anybody think it's worth that much money over a standard alarm system?

Cheers guys
Rob

They do indeed flash, though mine is set to ‘auto arm’.
Not sure if Cat1 or 2 but there are some thoughts on it here https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/98584-BMW-s-Alarm

I didn’t even have mine set until a week or so ago when I was messing around with a mate who has just bought a GS… the day after I wheeled the bike back (outside a hotel at 7am) and it made a right noise…. I was still the only person apparently bothered by it.

I didnt get the alarm - i just went for the tracker instead.
1. I dont hink people take much notice of alarms.
2. Too dangerous to tackle theives anyway these days.

Just my thoughts…..

It is my understanding that the BMW alarm does not have Thatcham Cat 1 or 2.

With regards to trackers, if someone steals the bike, i dont want the bloody thing back. Give me the payput

With regards to trackers, if someone steals the bike, i dont want the bloody thing back. Give me the payput

Let's hope you never get the chance to find out - being heavily loaded on insurance for the following 5 years isn't fun

thanks guys
the bike has a tracker fitted as well but id rather stop them getting it than get it back in bits or after its had the bollocks thrashed out of it
it doesnt really matter really what cat it is as I wont tell the insurers, for the £3.50 reduction in the premium itd not worth the questions if it does get nicked
really I just wanted to know if it flashed the indicators and if anyone thought it was worth it over an after market one
the idea of having the alarm on the one key is good for me as ive got the bike key that is quite big, the fob for the tracker, house key, IAM key ring, to add another remote to that would make a pocket full !!

Rob

I have the alarm on my R1250GS and as alarms go it's "ok" IMO. Basically the alarm will only sound if the bike is moved or somehow shook, and at that its pretty good, but if you are asking if it works if you remove the seats or don't jog the bike - then it doesn't sound. I'd say its ok as a deterrent as it makes enough noise when it does sound, that aside it doesn't really do much else.

I’ve just been quoted this afternoon £370 fitted for the alarm!

Adventure Boy, could I ask which dealer you’re using,appreciate you’ve said about discount.

My view regarding risk. - Thieves know no one takes any notice of bike alarms. I have invested in a roadlok and use a small disc lock for the back wheel, using a bike cover if parked on the street outside a hotel overnight etc.
Most bikes stolen will be loaded into a van.

When booking hotels I use google maps live view and sus out what the parking/risk is so I can decide.

Personally save your money on the alarm - mine has the BMW factory fitted but would not specify/pay for it.

Adventure Boy, could I ask which dealer you’re using,appreciate you’ve said about discount.

I was quoted £370 also but due to the problems I had with the connectivity and having to take the bike back etc they said they would fit the alarm at cost !!
I still think £253 is a lot of money for a non thatcham alarm system
Its from Roy Pidcock in Nottingham I doubt if youll get the same discount though but worth an ask

mine is being done tomorrow so hopefully it will be a good system, its not for anyone really apart from to notify me that some twat is messing with the bike ill sort the rest out

Rob

Cheers Rob. I’m of the same mindset as you, it’s to alert me me than anyone else and I don’t really want another fob.
I’ll give it some thought.

Its a noise maker, nothing else ..

It's not listed as a Viable "Industry std" alarm on any insurance site, so it falls into the class "other -"

Save your money

Bmw alarm is not Thackam certificated and the alarm off an early 1250 wont transfer and work on the current 1250 ! ...as i discovered !

Back
Top Bottom