V7 850 Stone test ride

FatAl

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a trip over to A+D motorcycles in Denbigh on my T120 Bonny. I had arranged a test ride on their new 850 Stone (black). I've had a hankering to get another Guzzi for a while, I've had two Stelvios, but they are just too big and heavy for me these days.

The Stone was a similar size to my T120, the finish of the bike was very good, it had an air of quality about it. I could easily flat foot it, I'm a 30" inside leg, and the bend on my leg was similar to the Bonny. The bars felt a little too low for me, I have 3/4" risers on the Bonny and I suspect a similar rise would benefit the Guzzi. I wasn't keen on the mirrors, the rear view was OK and they weren't badly affected by the vibration once you were rolling, but I think bar end mirrors would look better.

The ride itself was very pleasant, the seat was wide enough for my large arse, just about long enough for a pillion although I ride solo these days, and it was very comfortable for the hour I had the bike. I have an injury to my left hand which has left me with a significant reduction in grip and other issues, and over the years the condition has worsened so a light clutch is very important to me these days. The Guzzi didn't disappoint, although not as light as that of my CB500X, it was on a par with the T120, perhaps a touch lighter. The gearbox was smooth and neutral easy to find. The engine spun up easily, there was no tacho but there was a warning to change gear coming on saying 'change gear now'.

Throttle action is light but nicely weighted, it's not ride by wire. The single front Brembo had plenty of feel, the rear not so much, but both proved very effective in the two emergency stops I practiced. The bike felt light and agile and the suspension coped well with the bumpy back roads. I didn't thrash the bike as it only had about 200miles on the clock, but it accelerated quick enough with plenty of mid range torque available. The exhaust note was somewhat muted, a pair of aftermarket silencers would be fitted if I were to buy one of these.

Overall I was impressed with the bike, I'm not sure that I would be willing to trade in either of my two bikes to get the Guzzi as I like them too much. If I could find a decent 750 V7iii at the right price I may be tempted back into the Guzzi fold, the 750 has the same ergonomics, but 14bhp less, I reckon I could live with that drop in power as the bike would be used as a back lane bimbler.

Yesterday I had a trip over to A+D motorcycles in Denbigh on my T120 Bonny. I had arranged a test ride on their new 850 Stone (black). I've had a hankering to get another Guzzi for a while, I've had two Stelvios, but they are just too big and heavy for me these days.

The Stone was a similar size to my T120, the finish of the bike was very good, it had an air of quality about it. I could easily flat foot it, I'm a 30" inside leg, and the bend on my leg was similar to the Bonny. The bars felt a little too low for me, I have 3/4" risers on the Bonny and I suspect a similar rise would benefit the Guzzi. I wasn't keen on the mirrors, the rear view was OK and they weren't badly affected by the vibration once you were rolling, but I think bar end mirrors would look better.

The ride itself was very pleasant, the seat was wide enough for my large arse, just about long enough for a pillion although I ride solo these days, and it was very comfortable for the hour I had the bike. I have an injury to my left hand which has left me with a significant reduction in grip and other issues, and over the years the condition has worsened so a light clutch is very important to me these days. The Guzzi didn't disappoint, although not as light as that of my CB500X, it was on a par with the T120, perhaps a touch lighter. The gearbox was smooth and neutral easy to find. The engine spun up easily, there was no tacho but there was a warning to change gear coming on saying 'change gear now'.

Throttle action is light but nicely weighted, it's not ride by wire. The single front Brembo had plenty of feel, the rear not so much, but both proved very effective in the two emergency stops I practiced. The bike felt light and agile and the suspension coped well with the bumpy back roads. I didn't thrash the bike as it only had about 200miles on the clock, but it accelerated quick enough with plenty of mid range torque available. The exhaust note was somewhat muted, a pair of aftermarket silencers would be fitted if I were to buy one of these.

Overall I was impressed with the bike, I'm not sure that I would be willing to trade in either of my two bikes to get the Guzzi as I like them too much. If I could find a decent 750 V7iii at the right price I may be tempted back into the Guzzi fold, the 750 has the same ergonomics, but 14bhp less, I reckon I could live with that drop in power as the bike would be used as a back lane bimbler.

Thanks for this, sounds good.

Another V7 will probably be my next bike now that my R1150GS has gone (fantastic bike but too big). Might wait until a V7 850 can be had for a sensible used price. I am allergic to depreciation :D

My DR650s will suffice for now.

Having owned a Guzzi before and still have a soft spot for them,
this is on my list when I want a lighter bike with a low seat height.
It also has a tank range of 230 miles iirc.
A bike with some character that won't break the bank.:beerjug:

I had a V7 iii as a service bike from Teasdales last year, and will have another in a couple of weeks time. It’s a 200mile round trip back to mine across the Yorkshire Dales and it was close to perfect for those roads. But I did do about 10 miles on the A65 where it crap. Too slow to exposed and crap suspension.

Nevertheless it was a really nice bike it just needs a mindset adjustment

Here you go ... https://www.gumtree.com/p/moto-guzzi-motorbikes/moto-guzzi-breva-750ie/1407018918 :thumb2

and one a bit closer to home ... https://www.gumtree.com/p/moto-guzzi-motorbikes/moto-guzzi-breva-v750ie/1406759637

Thank you for the ride report.
I'm curious / but not in the market for a few years yet.

have GOT to get my Cali3 back on the road!!! :(

I had a V7 iii as a service bike from Teasdales last year, and will have another in a couple of weeks time. It’s a 200mile round trip back to mine across the Yorkshire Dales and it was close to perfect for those roads. But I did do about 10 miles on the A65 where it crap. Too slow to exposed and crap suspension.

Nevertheless it was a really nice bike it just needs a mindset adjustment

I'm assuming you have a Guzzi, aren't you based in Lancashire? I don't know if you are already aware, Ribble Valley All Terrain and Motorcycles in Nelson/Colne have been appointed as an official Moto Guzzi repair and service centre. They were previously in Clitheroe, Steve the mechanic is the former service manager from the now defunct Rocket Centre at Blackburn. Maybe it could save you a long journey to Thirsk?

I'm assuming you have a Guzzi, aren't you based in Lancashire? I don't know if you are already aware, Ribble Valley All Terrain and Motorcycles in Nelson/Colne have been appointed as an official Moto Guzzi repair and service centre. They were previously in Clitheroe, Steve the mechanic is the former service manager from the now defunct Rocket Centre at Blackburn. Maybe it could save you a long journey to Thirsk?

Yeah I’m in Garstang and yes I know about Ribble Valkey AT & MC and I’ve contacted them a few times about services and warranty. It took weeks to reply as they didn’t have the diagnostic cable, then once they did they didn’t have any service parts, then he said he’d never touched a V85TT before. So zero confidence although I get the V85TT is probably as basic as it comes for servicing. Besides the ride over to Teasdales is always nice and there’s loads of different ways to go.

In the Manchester area there is always Roy Armstrong, used to race M.G. and owned Italsport in Bury, now works from a place in Whitworth.

Yeah I’m in Garstang and yes I know about Ribble Valkey AT & MC and I’ve contacted them a few times about services and warranty. It took weeks to reply as they didn’t have the diagnostic cable, then once they did they didn’t have any service parts, then he said he’d never touched a V85TT before. So zero confidence although I get the V85TT is probably as basic as it comes for servicing. Besides the ride over to Teasdales is always nice and there’s loads of different ways to go.

that's interesting, will bear that in mind.

I had some family business in Yorkshire to take care of today, so I arranged a second test ride, this time at Teasdales bike shop in Thirsk. I must say I liked the look of the town centre and the market square, not as quaint as St Helens though :D
I rode over on my CB500X via the A59, a pleasant run except for a few motorway miles. I was impressed with the shop and the staff were friendly and welcoming. I took the V7 up Sutton bank, over to Helmsley and then got lost on some minor roads. The sweet torquey V twin was in it's element on this run, again the seat was comfortable, but I just couldn't get used to the bars, they need to raise by at least another two inches for me, the mirrors I would definitely replace with bar end versions. I really want to like this bike but the single digital speedo started to annoy me, the dual analogue clocks on the classic look much better IMHO. In an ideal world I would like the classic version, with higher bars, and tubeless fitment wheels. This second run made me reassess the V7 stone, the orange version looks better than the all black and ice blue versions IMHO, but the single clock and the head light put me off.
For the time being the V7 is out of the running for me, which is a shame as I think the motor is very nice. I'll bide my time and see what else turns up.

As an aside the CB500X averaged 83mpg (on board computer) for the 240 mile round trip of very mixed riding :)

I test rode a V85TT today. I liked it, but not enough to chop in my GS. It’s light & nimble (I guess everything is relative), goes well enough, felt stable & predictable and I’d certainly ride one again. I didn’t like the dash, and it was a little coughy-spluttery til it warmed up. Clearly nothing like the poke of the GS. I was surprised that it didn’t feel lots lower that the GS, but the seat is a bit wider and rather square.

The horn is disappointing, it certainly didn’t dissuade the knobhead in the transit from pulling out on me. It sounds rather like a startled medium sized rodent, and, like the BMW, needs replacing with something effective in short order. Why do they put wanky squeaky horns on motorbikes, when what you need is something to make the blind bastard’s ears bleed?

If you’re thinking “modern Guzzi” and you haven’t tried one, I think you’re missing out. It’s a good way of spending an hour or two on a nice afternoon anyway!

Atb
Simon

The V9 Bobber has caught my attention of late, I've been reading up on it, and have watched a few YouTube vids as well. I need to see one in the flesh and preferably ride it. I think it would make a nice custom bike project.

Back
Top Bottom