Side stand

Colin

Reaction score
Has anybody made or modified the bloody sidestand on a R100rs 1977.
apart from paying just over £100. for one at Motorworks.

Not a rs but I welded a arm on my gs that could be easily reached ( just behind/aside LH carb ).
and yer dont have to lean bike over whilst yer legs under the LH pot to set it
HTHY :D

Attachments

• PD sidestand 2.jpg
    PD sidestand 2.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 297
  • PD sidestand 3.jpg
    PD sidestand 3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 287
  • PD sidestand 4.jpg
    PD sidestand 4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 286
  • PD sidestand 5.jpg
    PD sidestand 5.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 289
Not a rs but I welded a arm on my gs that could be easily reached ( just behind/aside LH carb ).
and yer dont have to lean bike over whilst yer legs under the LH pot to set it
HTHY :D

Very clever that Mick - would have been significantly cheaper than a Miguel!

Very clever. thanks for that. think I will give it a try.

Maybe a Micksel then.
I have met Migsel at a GS doo in holland/belgium He is a good lad and a proper thinking engineer. I suspect that welding fault other week on one of his Sidestands was maybe not his but "looked pretty but not strong"

Colin, what is your issue? Is it that it springs up when you take the load off it? It is possible to adjust it so that it goes over-centre and stays down.

If that isn't your issue, sorry, take no notice!

Hello Tim. I was thinking of giving you a call to see if you had a surefoot sidestand. Yes the problem is the stand springs back. I have to put it on the sidestand to get off. and with my short legs I can only just push it foreward enough and it springs back.
I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can adjust it to go over-centre. Thanks for your advice.

Hello Tim. I was thinking of giving you a call to see if you had a surefoot sidestand. Yes the problem is the stand springs back. I have to put it on the sidestand to get off. and with my short legs I can only just push it foreward enough and it springs back.
I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can adjust it to go over-centre. Thanks for your advice.

I've got an RS77 so I'll see if I can suggest something after a look-see. My R90/6 stand works well. I seem to remember loosening the bolt and moving the spring holder round a bit to achieve 'over centre'.

Some Airheads have a side-stand mount anchor plate for the spring that can be rotated (after loosening the front motor mount stud), & thus the side-stand can be the stock automatic retracting type; or, one you must manually raise. Be aware of what you have; be careful
https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

Some Airheads have a side-stand mount anchor plate for the spring that can be rotated (after loosening the front motor mount stud), & thus the side-stand can be the stock automatic retracting type; or, one you must manually raise. Be aware of what you have; be careful
https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm

Thanks for the info. I have to modify my R90S one so it doesn't self-retract sometime.

Colin, some success this evening. I managed to get my RS77 stand to stay down with ease. Here's how I did it:

1. Slacken off 19mm nut on front left engine mount. No need to remove.
2. Put side stand down and hold it down.
3. Tighten up 19mm nut whilst holding side stand down.
4. Voila!

It might not work for all. But I have done this on 2 bikes now, so there must be something in it.

Before and after shots of the spring anchor, and a final shot showing stand down all on its own. I must get down there and clean it sometime. Perhaps when I have finished riding the damn thing!

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 196
I've just done that and mine is staying down. Now I need to lengthen my left leg so I can push it fully foreword when I am sat on the bike. I will weld a small bracket so I can reach it to push it foreword as Mick DB1 has done. I do like the look of those round rocker covers I must try and find some for mine. Thanks for all your help. Colin.

Cheers Tim, just done this on mine and now stays put until I move it.

I do like the look of those round rocker covers I must try and find some for mine. Colin.

The Siebenrock website is your friend. Just send them your credit card.

You might try Motorworks or Motobins or Motoren Israel too.

I've just done that and mine is staying down. Now I need to lengthen my left leg so I can push it fully foreword when I am sat on the bike. I will weld a small bracket so I can reach it to push it foreword as Mick DB1 has done. I do like the look of those round rocker covers I must try and find some for mine. Thanks for all your help. Colin.

On an R80Rt I have welded a small piece on the stop so that it only goes as far forward as the cylinder center line, just in the over center position.
I also have a small 12v buzzer operated by an aftermarket rear brake light switch ( the type with a spring pull) and wired via the neutral switch to remind me that it is down if I put it into gear.
I know you only forget ounce , just trying to avoid that. :blast

Back
Top Bottom