1250 GS Cross-spoke wheels

stevepj

Reaction score
Do you want cross-spoke wheels for your new 1250 GS but balk at the £415 BMW want for the upgrade? Then read on!

I’ve bought a new 1250 GSA Triple Black and since I’m no longer venturing off-road, would prefer to have cast wheels. Couldn’t get BMW to supply such a ‘downgrade’ and so I wondered if anyone out there wants to swap?

My wheels are black cross-spoke wheels shod with Anakee Adventure 2CT (+ on the rear) and I’m still running-in, so less than 500 miles as I write.

Yours will ideally be new-ish black cast wheels, with TPMS, and I’d like to do the swap at home in Solihull (B92) where I have a torque wrench and a garage. Someone with a GS911 to programme my TPMS would be a nice bonus.

Any takers? Post on this thread or PM me - and don't be put off if you're not the first, it'd be nice to have a choice!

Don't bother, the spoked wheels are lighter.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Still hoping

Don't bother, the spoked wheels are lighter.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Notwithstanding the helpful advice above I'd still like to get some cast wheels.

Attachments

• PJ GSA.jpg
    PJ GSA.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 1,175
I believe that the R9T Scrambler/Urban wheels are also a straight swap (it is just that the direction arrow on the rear wheel will be the wrong way round!) if that gives you another avenue.

I believe that the R9T Scrambler/Urban wheels are also a straight swap (it is just that the direction arrow on the rear wheel will be the wrong way round!) if that gives you another avenue.

I don’t think they are. The actual wheel is same part number but the front hub, spacer, spindle and bearings are different plus R9T wheels don’t have the TPMS.

Plus you need to remove the spacer on rear wheel. I looked into it and bailed due to cost of changing bearings etc :eek:

Spoked wheels are about £1000 each from BMW :eek::eek::eek:

OP, if you can bear the cost I’d buy alloy rims and keep the spoked somewhere safe as trying to sell an adventure without them would be quite difficult.

Ditto

Do you want cross-spoke wheels for your new 1250 GS but balk at the £415 BMW want for the upgrade? Then read on!

I’ve bought a new 1250 GSA Triple Black and since I’m no longer venturing off-road, would prefer to have cast wheels. Couldn’t get BMW to supply such a ‘downgrade’ and so I wondered if anyone out there wants to swap?

My wheels are black cross-spoke wheels shod with Anakee Adventure 2CT (+ on the rear) and I’m still running-in, so less than 500 miles as I write.

Yours will ideally be new-ish black cast wheels, with TPMS, and I’d like to do the swap at home in Solihull (B92) where I have a torque wrench and a garage. Someone with a GS911 to programme my TPMS would be a nice bonus.

Any takers? Post on this thread or PM me - and don't be put off if you're not the first, it'd be nice to have a choice!

I am in exactly the same position. The closest I get to off-road are green lanes and gravel. Given the option I would have taken alloys over spokes all day long. Anyway it seems we are stuck with them.

As an aside can anyone tell me the best and easiest way to clean spoke wheels. Mine are in black and look awfully scruffy very quickly.

Stay safe and well, Tony.

My old bike was a Honda Crosstourer, easily cleaned the spoked wheels with cheap baby wipes.
That said, specd my GS Triple black with cast wheels.

Thanks for the tip. I cleaned my bike yesterday fiddling round each spoke with a cloth, what a PITA. With my K16 GTL a power wash and the blower brought them up beautifully. I should have put more pressure on the dealer to change them as part of the deal. We live and learn. Any tips on checking the spokes are tight enough etc?

Regards,

Tony

when i bought my 1250 gs it had spokes on and i refused to buy it unless cast wheels were fitted and so it was! admittedly last of the 2020 bikes and they wanted shot but they still did it

It is possible to have them power coated. This will create a smother surface to facilitate cleaning.
I have used gt85 and a cloth. 10 mins tops per wheel.

I have a set of wheels in good order with tpms fitted and Pilot road 4 fitted, they are not black but could be powder coated. They are on the for sale section.

I have a set of wheels in good order with tpms fitted and Pilot road 4 fitted, they are not black but could be powder coated. They are on the for sale section.

They are off a 2014 1200GS LC and the advert was posted by me, just in case someone goes looking for it. They are my husband’s wheels.

Sorted!

Thanks to John for the swap.
They look great!

Attachments

• Alloys.jpg
    Alloys.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 283
THey indeed look good...Very good ! Contrary what Tanneman said the spoke wheels are about 3 pounds heavier than the cast wheels so you get some light performance benefits from them,too !
I did the same to my 2019 GS-HP with sports-suspension that has the 20 mm longer slightly heavier sprung shocks and different Teleleverarm for 5 mm less trail of the ADV that also comes with spoke wheels and changed them for the black cast wheels...My bike reminds me now of the 2005 R1100S Boxercup...:thumb

Back
Top Bottom