Old Military Road, rest and be Thankful - is it legal/passable?

Berin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This one here just off the A83, starting at (56.20099956175816, -4.8255598144568825).

Is it legal? Is it passable? Is it worth it? Is it paved or unpaved?

Are there any more?

find the definitive rights of way map for the local council. it will be online and include all BOAT's etc

It's paved. It's been used several times recently as an alternative to the modern road which has been closed by landslips. Here it is being used in a BoS ad ...

Is it worth it? There are better roads to ride ... Not sure about access but it's unlikely to be too difficult for a bike. One of the weegie brethren will doubtless know.

As far as I know you can use it. Last time I was on it was when the ,proper, road was closed. There’s not much point though. It’s only a short stretch and the main road has good views.

I used it a few years ago… In snow… In a Celica, so not exactly challenging :thumb

Attachments

• 6FE74D0F-51A2-4027-947F-AD00DED86784.jpg
    6FE74D0F-51A2-4027-947F-AD00DED86784.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 499
Thanks all, just looking to see what there is in the way of alternative routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Military Road

Rest and be Thank full was regularly used as a Hill Climb venue cars and bikes. . Was also used as a rally stage on the Scottish International several times. Can`t remember last time used but I used it in 1980. Someone here will know.

Rest and be Thank full was regularly used as a Hill Climb venue cars and bikes. . Was also used as a rally stage on the Scottish International several times. Can`t remember last time used but I used it in 1980. Someone here will know.

I think Jim Clark started his career doing hill climbs there

It's paved. It's been used several times recently as an alternative to the modern road which has been closed by landslips. Here it is being used in a BoS ad ...

Is it worth it? There are better roads to ride ... Not sure about access but it's unlikely to be too difficult for a bike. One of the weegie brethren will doubtless know.

I like Susan Calman, she is funny and made a really good UK travel series recently.

Mrs Berin has been watching Susan Calmas series, says its very good.

We're really looking forward to this trip, did a lot of diving off the west coast years ago, even out to St Kilda on one trip. Mrs Berin's second big motorbike trip was Scotland, the weather was shite and we camped till I got fed up of it and we switched to hotels. Mrs Berin nearly binned her F800GS at Applecross on the hairpins, by trying to go around them upright

Here's the route plan. On account of Covid, we've taken the unusual for us step of planning out the whole route and booking digs at each stop.

We've got most of the time in the Western Isles and Sky, with 2-3 nights at each stop so we can have an explore around.

We're planning to stop at Harris Tweed, to get some tweed, see the golden eagles on Mull, Mrs Berin has been tracking otter sightings out on the islands so we'll maybe go otter spotting,

Possibly, if it's worked and anyone gives a monkeys, the trip can be viewed here

Got to visit Callanish while you’re on Lewis. Fantastic place. :thumb2
And the ride all the way round the dead end road to the little jetty after Breanis is worth it too. So secluded and peaceful it’s great for relaxing for a few hours. Be careful of going for a paddle though because the riptide will take your feet from under you!

There was a campsite on Lewis at Shawbost that was owned by a chap that used to make Harris Tweed on a loom in an outbuilding. Absolutely amazing to watch. And noisy! Still got some somewhere that he made while I was there. I’m going back 20+ years so may no longer be there. :nenau

Got to visit Callanish while you’re on Lewis. Fantastic place. :thumb2
And the ride all the way round the dead end road to the little jetty after Breanis is worth it too. So secluded and peaceful it’s great for relaxing for a few hours. Be careful of going for a paddle though because the riptide will take your feet from under you!

There was a campsite on Lewis at Shawbost that was owned by a chap that used to make Harris Tweed on a loom in an outbuilding. Absolutely amazing to watch. And noisy! Still got some somewhere that he made while I was there. I’m going back 20+ years so may no longer be there. :nenau

Callanish was on the list, but the Breanis diversion sounds great! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Berin, I can recommend the Devil's Porridge factory at Eastriggs near Dumfries.

The Mrs. enjoyed it too.

Back
Top Bottom