Auxiliary lights, broken wire at bulb connector

Falcon

Reaction score
I have 2011 GSA TE and found RH Auxiliary light out, checked bulb, fuse etc, all fine, found broken wire on the bulb connector plug.
Not knowing if or how to dismantle the plug, asked local dealer for a replacement plug or repair kit.
Or how to dismantle it.
Negative result, nil stock, not listed, they suggested a new loom at £80+ quid.....hmm don’t think so.
A little surfing the net and I find the same plug is used on nearly all BMW Cars both fog lights and auxiliary lights (also land rover, Chevrolet)
The plug is an E/F series H11.
The BMW replacement plug kit is pt no 61132360041 which comes with body, inner contacts, rubber inserts. No instructions.
Basically dismantling the old plug, found that there is no serious option to uncrimp the wires but disassembly is by removing the plug from the shell, separate the two lugs and push the plug out.

Put the shell body onto your loom before fitting new plug.

Remove small blue clip, use small watchmakers type screwdriver and push up the outside edge of the contacts to depress/release the lug and a bit more push and the cable end is withdrawn out the way it comes in.
Assembling the new plug onto your existing wiring: cut your old cables to clean the broken end (do not strip back at this point)
Lube the cable and push through the new rubber seal strip back around 6mm, place new connector on the end orientated so that the flat side is towards the centre of the plug.
Crimp the wire the tabs securing the insulation (I also solder for a good connection)
Slide the assembled connectors into the plug body with the flush supine next to the centre of the plug.
Once fully home, fit little blue retaining clip, clip plug back into body and reattach to bulb.
£12.75p and you now have OEM plug back on the loom.

BMW could not I/d the plug yet could access the BMW car database, once I gave them the BMW part no it came straight up and arrived next day. BMW bike techs did not know how to dismantle/assemble the BMW plug, maybe the car techs do?

Last edited:
Do a search on here - you can get a non BMW lead for a couple of quid on eBay

Back
Top Bottom