Windows 10 in S mode

AdrianS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bought a new laptop and it appears that windows 10 is working in S mode.
Changing to windows10 full version is a one way path, you cannot change back.
Read a few pros and cons but has anyone changed and regretted it?
Does windows defender still work? Does it slow the pc up much by changing?
My new pc is incredible fast at present and don’t want to slow it down.

I don't know what S mode is - does it mean Safe mode?
on the other hand, don't fix what ain't broke??
If it does all you want, why fiddle?(ironic really as I rarely stop fiddling, just worked out that my pc's reluctance to open a web page was down to massive and or corrupted hosts file!, got it back working on the whole but can't click any Ads in google search - it just wont let me, further playing required - its a never ending rabbit hole once you start)

S mode - a windows version which restricts app download to those available on Google Play. More secure for multiple user situations, such as schools, as the administrator can control what is downloaded by users. Launched by Microsoft as a counter to Google Chrome which works in similar way

I looked at this last year when upgrading my laptop, decided I needed the full version of Windows, as I still use some programs I have on disc & cannot download these on S mode. I know I could have bought a "S", & converted to full windows, can't remember why I didn't go that route
I expect Mr Google will advise on speed differences etc

S mode - a windows version which restricts app download to those available on Google Play. More secure for multiple user situations, such as schools, as the administrator can control what is downloaded by users. Launched by Microsoft as a counter to Google Chrome which works in similar way

I looked at this last year when upgrading my laptop, decided I needed the full version of Windows, as I still use some programs I have on disc & cannot download these on S mode. I know I could have bought a "S", & converted to full windows, can't remember why I didn't go that route
I expect Mr Google will advise on speed differences etc
It's nothing to do with Google. Windows 10 in S mode can only install apps from the Microsoft Store so you can't install third-party apps such as Photoshop, Handbrake (to duplicate DVDs) or LibreOffice (free alternative to the MS product). I'm not aware of any performance differences wetween S mode and the real world. In principle S mode stops your children from installing inappropriate material but if it's for you then why limit yourself. Removing S mode used to cost money £50 iirc but I've only ever used real-world versions so have no experience of converting.

It's nothing to do with Google. Windows 10 in S mode can only install apps from the Microsoft Store so you can't install third-party apps such as Photoshop, Handbrake (to duplicate DVDs) or LibreOffice (free alternative to the MS product). I'm not aware of any performance differences wetween S mode and the real world. In principle S mode stops your children from installing inappropriate material but if it's for you then why limit yourself. Removing S mode used to cost money £50 iirc but I've only ever used real-world versions so have no experience of converting.

My bad, I misquoted the source apps can be obtained from. Remains the case that S mode restricts what you can download

The reason I asked the question was to find out if there was any difference in the running of the pc if normal windows or windows S was used. I also want to download software from other sources than Microsoft . Does windows defender still work if I convert to normal windows or will I need to have third party av installed?

Windows defender works perfectly well on my machines, neither of which have ever seen S mode. You can read reviews of various anti-virus products but, as someone who needs to receive emails from individuals with no technical skill, I stick with Windows defender and an occasional scan with the free version of Malwarebytes, which hasn't found anything of consequence yet. As far as I'm concerned, S mode is a marketing ploy to keep you buying only M$ products.

The reason I asked the question was to find out if there was any difference in the running of the pc if normal windows or windows S was used. I also want to download software from other sources than Microsoft . Does windows defender still work if I convert to normal windows or will I need to have third party av installed?

Yep all normal, in theory have a computer with restricted ability to install apps is safer, and more controllable. But probably only suits a few scenarios.

It's your computer, but the first thing I did with the wifes laptop when it arrived with 'S' was to unlock it. It will still run every thing including defender, but you lose the MS only restriction.

Go for it.

Back
Top Bottom