Exhaust valve stuck open....by a stone

I’m surprised they would charge you for that, when the opportunity to build customer loyalty at no ‘real’ cost is there.

For the repair obvs, but not the diagnostic check that’s why you get the fault

Are you hard of thinking?

There is no need to be rude. My thinking is very clear and I have succesfully run my own business for many years.
The diagnostic will not be free as is not a warranty job. There is no reason for the diagnostic to be free, no part of it is BMW's fault therefore no part of the job is free. It is normal business practice.

The diagnostic will not be free as is not a warranty job. There is no reason for the diagnostic to be free, no part of it is BMW's fault therefore no part of the job is free. It is normal business practice.

True, but a great opportunity to build a relationship. It took them no time to slip the can off and see. How nice would it have been for the service manager to say ‘no charge for that Mr xxxx and hope we can help you on your next service’. That then leads to possible new sales.

True, but a great opportunity to build a relationship. It took them no time to slip the can off and see. How nice would it have been for the service manager to say ‘no charge for that Mr xxxx and hope we can help you on your next service’. That then leads to possible new sales.

I’m with both of you here, yes it’s completely legitimate to charge for it but it’s a perfect opportunity to make a commercial gesture :thumb2

Has anyone actually worked out if it is possible to get a stone into the exhaust and down to the exhaust flap?

Has anyone actually worked out if it is possible to get a stone into the exhaust and down to the exhaust flap?
There is no mention that I can see in this thread if the OEM or an aftermarket ie Akrapovic end can is fitted. If the former, then one would think that the offset baffles would hinder the passage of a stone dropped down the open end. If the latter, then yes, there would be no obstruction to said stone.
Alan R

Is it possible u left it parked up?
Some young child popped a stone in the exhaust hole.

Reason I say this as when I was about 10 I passed into the fuel tank of a lorry for a laugh 😅🤣

Even if a stone was dropped down the end of the silencer, if it still has the original multi baffled bmw silencer fitted it would be nigh on impossible or improbable for it to make it' s way down past the baffles into the flappy valve thingy.

With an aftermarket pipe blame local kids

The exhaust is all original and has only ever been off once by the dealer when they swapped the engine about 5000 miles ago :)

Indeed it is, but to have an attitude of entitlement would not endear you to dealer. A good working relationship takes both parties to show respect to each other, that way when you REALLY need their help they will step up to the mark.

First time clutch misbehaved on my current 1200 all of the work was warranty including pulling the clutch pack and the drive train from the gearbox back over.
When it did similar 12 months later it was again all done under warranty including the full clutch pack assembly

To be fair to Williams BMW they have been (as always) very good to deal with. Although I can’t comprehend how the stone got in there (bikes never parked up and left anywhere) they still spent time on it and still have to pay their staff.

To be fair to Williams BMW they have been (as always) very good to deal with. Although I can’t comprehend how the stone got in there (bikes never parked up and left anywhere) they still spent time on it and still have to pay their staff.

Stone cannot go in oem exhaust, but if you have other exhaust with baffle out, maybe stone bounce of license plate, only possibly thing make logic.

It must have got in when they swapped the engine.unless its got gall stones...

Oem exhaust? It’s not possible

So reckon they are talking shit

Pissed off employee, small stone out of pocket, into exhaust..

It’s not very likely, but surely it’s possible.

Back
Top Bottom