I still can’t use BaseCamp properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote (why didn’t it just pick up where I was and calculate the planned route from there) that would be because you told it to take you to the final destination i would guess and not to the start of the route.
Use the above method that Wapping has described.

OK, now we know that your problem is not so much with BaseCamp (you can plot a route, evidently) but with your using of your GPS device, I can suggest a simple trick for you to try. About a mile or so from your start point, in the direction / on road you want to take, insert a via point (ie a point you must go through) into your route. Depending on which GPS device you are using, when you fire up your route you may well see a choice of three destinations:

1. Start

2. The via point, a mile or so away from your start point

3. End

Chose number 2.

From wherever you a standing (whether that be Aberdeen or Norwich or Canterbury or Bath, it makes no difference, nor if your via point is in say, Penzance or Birmingham) your device will route you to that point, without fail. From there, the route will run normally, right to the end, without you having to do one more thing. There are other methods but try this simple one first, please.

What device do you use, by the way?

PS The only caveat I would make is that if the via point 2 is behind where you are standing, the device will route you backwards (so that you pass through point 2) and then the device will run you forwards along the route, in the direction you want to take.

Hi, sorry, I appreciate your input.

I use a zumo 595.

So I add a via point in early on in the route as the starting point effectively?

I’ll try it next time I’m out on a decent ride.

I do appreciate that Basecamp obviously works, but I did find map source to be much easier, I also much preferred the old 2610 style of sliders for motorway, A roads, B roads for routing preference. I know the 595 has ‘adventurous’ routing, but it will take you through a fecking housing estate to cut the corner of a junction.

I’m just not enamoured by modern sat nav tech, it seems a dying mode of finding your way.

My pal uses an app on his phone, and by it plotted a better route that was far more intuitive than my zumo.

I dare say this will be my last specific sat nav.

Thank you for the update.

Yup, just insert a via point a mile or so away from your actual start point and choose that as your destination. Everything should then run fine from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom