Tips and tricks for a new boy coming from a K16 GTL

BigT

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm very new to GS's having purchased a 21 Triple Black GSA last month to replace an 18 K16 GTL. The GTL is a piece of kit but not without its faults. My 1st two years required 2 engines, 3 gearbox's and a entire new frame under warranty amongst several other failures!!!. Hopefully the GSA will not require 8 months in a workshop in its first 24 months of life....we live in hope. That said the K16 engine is, when its working correctly, a dream.

I'm in the process of finding a seat worthy of the name for the GSA. The OEM is a real ring stinger after the 1st hour and then every 45 mins or so thereafter. I kinda got spoiled with a Russell Day Long on my GTL. 15 hrs/1,000 mile days was a none issue. Anyway being a disorganised oaf I forgot to get an early order in for a Russell as soon as I ordered the GSA. Yesterday Russell gave me a build date of September......ouch (literally). Sargent is my next port of call, they have the GSA in stock and don't need to use the OEM stock seat as a base, which is such a bonus. With Russell you have to send them an OEM seat to work on which is an expensive PITA. Hopefully the Sargent will arrive next week and hopefully my derriere will enjoy the ride.

In other areas, being 6'5" and a statuesque 20st, I've had to buy a new screen. The OEM version was not cutting it turbulence wise. Anything above 60mph or so was akin, I imagine, to a round or two with Mike Tyson. Swapped the OEM for a Puig Touring Screen with the factory fitted aerofoil. Cmarc Screen stabiliser brackets completed the task. These brackets are not absolutely essential but highly recommended. (By the way Cmarc products are very good quality) The BMW screen fitment is poor at best and not as substantial as it should be. Consequently both the OEM and the new screen easily vibrated and moved around. Flimsy sums up the OEM screen fitments. (Why a bike that costs north of 20K doesn't have a suitable electric set up defeats me).

The farkling continues. Tips, tricks, things to look out for most welcome.

Stay safe and well.

Best regards, Tony

Welcome BigT,
I bought the 21 Triple black GSA in March, I'm 6"2" and have the same screen set up as you and find it's worked well on my previous two GSA 1200's.
Due to work commitments I haven't done many miles on the new GSA yet but on previous bikes I've set the seat position to "up" at the front and "down" at the back after reading some recommendations on this site. This helped a lot and I've done many miles around Europe with this set-up and had no issues.

Hi guys, I'm very new to GS's having purchased a 21 Triple Black GSA last month to replace an 18 K16 GTL. The GTL is a piece of kit but not without its faults. My 1st two years required 2 engines, 3 gearbox's and a entire new frame under warranty amongst several other failures!!!. Hopefully the GSA will not require 8 months in a workshop in its first 24 months of life....we live in hope. That said the K16 engine is, when its working correctly, a dream.

I'm in the process of finding a seat worthy of the name for the GSA. The OEM is a real ring stinger after the 1st hour and then every 45 mins or so thereafter. I kinda got spoiled with a Russell Day Long on my GTL. 15 hrs/1,000 mile days was a none issue. Anyway being a disorganised oaf I forgot to get an early order in for a Russell as soon as I ordered the GSA. Yesterday Russell gave me a build date of September......ouch (literally). Sargent is my next port of call, they have the GSA in stock and don't need to use the OEM stock seat as a base, which is such a bonus. With Russell you have to send them an OEM seat to work on which is an expensive PITA. Hopefully the Sargent will arrive next week and hopefully my derriere will enjoy the ride.

In other areas, being 6'5" and a statuesque 20st, I've had to buy a new screen. The OEM version was not cutting it turbulence wise. Anything above 60mph or so was akin, I imagine, to a round or two with Mike Tyson. Swapped the OEM for a Puig Touring Screen with the factory fitted aerofoil. Cmarc Screen stabiliser brackets completed the task. These brackets are not absolutely essential but highly recommended. (By the way Cmarc products are very good quality) The BMW screen fitment is poor at best and not as substantial as it should be. Consequently both the OEM and the new screen easily vibrated and moved around. Flimsy sums up the OEM screen fitments. (Why a bike that costs north of 20K doesn't have a suitable electric set up defeats me).

The farkling continues. Tips, tricks, things to look out for most welcome.

Stay safe and well.

Best regards, Tony

Also being 6 foot 5 and just bought the 250GSA I would be interested to know your mods to footpegs and bar risers. I have the lowered pegs with rubbers fitted (Wunderlich) and have tried the up and back Wunderlich 40mm risers. I am about to try the Touratech 40mm straight risers. I have the high rallye seat fitted but also have OEM heated two piece seat yet to try. Also have a custom made high rider seat yet to try. I want to get pegs and bars sorted first then move on to seats and screen. I ride with OEM screen half way down as too much turbulance at full height . Wind hits me mid visor.
Oddly my Honda CRF250 Rally is the best airflow of any bike in 50 yrs of riding - low screen gives smooth airflow with head in the breeze (60mph is max practical speed on the 250)

Also being 6 foot 5 and just bought the 250GSA I would be interested to know your mods to footpegs and bar risers. I have the lowered pegs with rubbers fitted (Wunderlich) and have tried the up and back Wunderlich 40mm risers. I am about to try the Touratech 40mm straight risers. I have the high rallye seat fitted but also have OEM heated two piece seat yet to try. Also have a custom made high rider seat yet to try. I want to get pegs and bars sorted first then move on to seats and screen. I ride with OEM screen half way down as too much turbulance at full height . Wind hits me mid visor.
Oddly my Honda CRF250 Rally is the best airflow of any bike in 50 yrs of riding - low screen gives smooth airflow with head in the breeze (60mph is max practical speed on the 250)

Hi Kev, thank you and thanks to all for the responses and welcome. I look forward to learning from the forum and at some stage adding my two pence worth ;-). To answer you question I've added the following:

1) Touratech 40mm bar riser (no complaints, fit easy, suggest a towel or the like to protect the tank in case something slips, no problem with cable length)
2) Wunderlich EVO footrest sets with 50mm arms. This has been a bit of trial and error which is not yet finished. The 50mm lowering arms are perfect from a comfort point of view.....however (there's always a but) one main problem. With the 50mm arm vertically down to max lowering the footrest interferes with the action of the sidestand. As an interim solution I have moved the arms (they rotate through 360o in increments) to the 5 o'clock position. This keeps the pegs much lower than stock but does move them rearward a tad. I'm going to order the next size down and see how we get on with those (30mm I think). Also the foot pegs scrape a little early but not substantially so. The GSA has such a great deal of ground clearance that unless you're pushing the bike through some tight twisties you'd hardly notice. I also have the rubber inserts for the pegs as I rarely go off road.
3) Oddly, but when you think about it quite logically, the seat and the screen are paired. With my seat in low the screen performs very nicely in the low position affording total wind protection (shoulders and helmet) with the seat in the high position (either end or both) the screen needs to be raised. Somehow this degrades the aerodynamics and I find, especially at motorway speeds, that I'm getting turbulence to the extent that vision is impaired. Moreover unlike the GTL you cannot use the electric screen to find the precise sweet spot. I'm off on a longish ride Monday for 3 days and will experiment further, but the seat will remain in the low position. In high I cannot flat foot both sides even at a stretch (34" inseam).

Other additions so far include Grip Buddies, Wunder Headlight protection (clear screen), Bumot Panniers, top box and tool box (highly recommended, excellent quality), Mudslinger and Front Fender extender (both essential in my view), Ram Mount Wireless charging mount (to use the BMW Connect properly directly wired to the battery under the Tupperware through an Optimate Monitored USB with auto off) and finally an SW Motech Pro GS Tank Bag and ring fitment powered via the BMW USB in the cockpit. (handy for charging power packs etc when camping which I love doing).

Anyway Kev. I will report further as my comfort farkling progresses. I'm one of those nuts that actually enjoys Iron Butt rides and so comfort will be my mantra as the bike develops into the Km muncher I need ;-). Stay safe and well. Tony

Hi Kev, thank you and thanks to all for the responses and welcome. I look forward to learning from the forum and at some stage adding my two pence worth ;-). To answer you question I've added the following:

1) Touratech 40mm bar riser (no complaints, fit easy, suggest a towel or the like to protect the tank in case something slips, no problem with cable length)
2) Wunderlich EVO footrest sets with 50mm arms. This has been a bit of trial and error which is not yet finished. The 50mm lowering arms are perfect from a comfort point of view.....however (there's always a but) one main problem. With the 50mm arm vertically down to max lowering the footrest interferes with the action of the sidestand. As an interim solution I have moved the arms (they rotate through 360o in increments) to the 5 o'clock position. This keeps the pegs much lower than stock but does move them rearward a tad. I'm going to order the next size down and see how we get on with those (30mm I think). Also the foot pegs scrape a little early but not substantially so. The GSA has such a great deal of ground clearance that unless you're pushing the bike through some tight twisties you'd hardly notice. I also have the rubber inserts for the pegs as I rarely go off road.
3) Oddly, but when you think about it quite logically, the seat and the screen are paired. With my seat in low the screen performs very nicely in the low position affording total wind protection (shoulders and helmet) with the seat in the high position (either end or both) the screen needs to be raised. Somehow this degrades the aerodynamics and I find, especially at motorway speeds, that I'm getting turbulence to the extent that vision is impaired. Moreover unlike the GTL you cannot use the electric screen to find the precise sweet spot. I'm off on a longish ride Monday for 3 days and will experiment further, but the seat will remain in the low position. In high I cannot flat foot both sides even at a stretch (34" inseam).

Other additions so far include Grip Buddies, Wunder Headlight protection (clear screen), Bumot Panniers, top box and tool box (highly recommended, excellent quality), Mudslinger and Front Fender extender (both essential in my view), Ram Mount Wireless charging mount (to use the BMW Connect properly directly wired to the battery under the Tupperware through an Optimate Monitored USB with auto off) and finally an SW Motech Pro GS Tank Bag and ring fitment powered via the BMW USB in the cockpit. (handy for charging power packs etc when camping which I love doing).

Anyway Kev. I will report further as my comfort farkling progresses. I'm one of those nuts that actually enjoys Iron Butt rides and so comfort will be my mantra as the bike develops into the Km muncher I need ;-). Stay safe and well. Tony

See my post today under risers and tight hose

Back
Top Bottom