How to stop a Commando leaking oil

waterloo700

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
9bdf54869016b1ac6fc2f8edad973c56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine didn't leak oil!

My Mk3, which is what the one in the pic looks to be as well, pissed oil out between the head and barrel whenever I thrashed it and that was most of the time.

When I had the head ported, fitted a 3S cam and 10.25:1 Omega pistons, in what was perhaps a misguided attempt to make it a bit quicker, it started to smoke badly.

Pulling the head off revealed that the head casting was porous and relieving the inlets had allowed it to seep into there. Cue much massaging of Araldite into the inlet ports.

While I was talking to one of the old hands during a trial, I mentioned that I had managed to cure most of the oil leaks on my Triumph.
"But how will you know if the oil is circulating?" was his shocked reply.
Mark

While I was talking to one of the old hands during a trial, I mentioned that I had managed to cure most of the oil leaks on my Triumph.
"But how will you know if the oil is circulating?" was his shocked reply.
Mark

The leakage is how you can go 5,000 miles between oil changes, you may well have put in 5 gallons of oil during that time but it was 5,000 miles between changes.

This is the only way I can stop my BSA A50 leaking!
Strange how British classics always have to mark where they’ve been!

A few years ago an aquaintace had a for Thames Van

Very old, only taken to shows, but still at that time had to have an MOT.
It went everywhere in a cloud of smoke.
He dumped in a can of Slick 50 or something like that, drove to near the MOT centre, and drained the oil out.
In he went. Vehicle passed.
He drove out and refilled it with the drained oil.

No need to go the extent of taking engine out, just drain the oil and then stick the bike on a display stand, you can admire it without polluting the planet !
you will however miss the fun of all the breakdowns, and the reynauds syndrome caused by the engine vibration on the odd occasions in between breakdowns!

and the reynauds syndrome caused by the engine vibration on the odd occasions in between breakdowns!

Very little engine vibration if you have the Vernier Isolastics set correctly. If you set them up tight for better handling, there is a bit but it should stop c. 2,800 rpm.

Back
Top Bottom