Datatag labels

BigKev67

Reaction score
My new 1250GSA is fitted with 3 Datatag labels.
This post is to advise folks who fail to find one of the stickers - like I did.
STICKER 1. This is given to owner who then decides where to stick it. It warns thieves that the bike is Datatagged.
STICKER 2. Fitted by BMW normally under the driver seat, advises the need to re register on change of ownership.
STICKER 3. Fitted by BMW and gives the primary ID number. Now this one had me beaten. I could not find it anywhere so went to dealer and had a look at the showroom GSs. Well more confusion. Half the bikes had the Sticker on the RHS frame tube up near the headstock. The dealer could not explain why not all had the label.
I eventually found my Sticker 3. It was under the passenger seat. I failed to find it initially as I had been riding with a Rallye seat which has a plate fitted behind the seat. You have to lift this plate to see the label.
I have a feeling that positioning this label under the passenger seat is wrong as its not fitted to a fixed part of the bike nor is it visible to anyone unless they have a key and remove seats.
Cant explain why only some of new GSs have label under seat.

BigKev67, thank you for bringing this often ignored aspect of motorcycle ownership to a wider audience.

Should you ever receive an explanation and / or manage to register your clearly intense feeling of concern over over the position of the third sticker being wrong, with anyone at BMW who’ll listen, do be sure to share.

I saw this sticker under my seat when i first got the bike.

I was going to register it in my name, but the general consensus seemed to be that DataTag is a waste of time?
so i didnt bother as it makes no difference to your insurance either.

Does anyone know differently?

I was going to register it in my name, but the general consensus seemed to be that DataTag is a waste of time?

I would agree with the above, Datatag make the process of changing owners far too complicated and you have to pay for it, nor do I believe it to be a deterrent and I've never got an insurance discount for it.

I have just had this issue with a recent bike purchased from a dealer.

Datatag will not let you register it unless you have the change of ownership form from the previous owner, BMW will (quite rightly) not give you the form if provided to them by the previous owner as it has their name and address on it (Data Protection).

So without the form you have to contact them (Datatag) for a different registration form and provide copies of your V5, they will then try and contact the last owner who registered the Data Tag (may not have been the last owner) to confirm if they no longer have an interest in the bike, if they agree you can pay the fee and it gets registered to you. Really not with the hassle as far as i'm concerned.

Hi everyone, interesting topic!

I've recently gotten my 2015 1200GS and found the datatag sticker under the seat, but didn't receive any change of ownership form etc. with the bike so presume either it wasn't the last owner that it was registered to, or he didn't both with wanting to change it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible to put another set of datatag dots etc. on the bike, as it'd already be registered with someone and would confuse things if/when it came to identify the bike. Anyone tried?

Thanks.

Owen.

Hi everyone, interesting topic!

I've recently gotten my 2015 1200GS and found the datatag sticker under the seat, but didn't receive any change of ownership form etc. with the bike so presume either it wasn't the last owner that it was registered to, or he didn't both with wanting to change it.

I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible to put another set of datatag dots etc. on the bike, as it'd already be registered with someone and would confuse things if/when it came to identify the bike. Anyone tried?

Thanks.

Owen.

The previous owner may not have wanted to give you the change of owner form as you would then have their personal details. If the there is a Datatag registered against the bike then no I do not think you could register a new kit against it.

As per my last post if you want to register it you need to contact Dtatag, they will send you a form to complete and request copies of the V5, once received they will contact the last owner who was registered to the Datatag and if they declare no interest in the bike it can be registered to you but you pay the registration fee.

The previous owner may not have wanted to give you the change of owner form as you would then have their personal details. If the there is a Datatag registered against the bike then no I do not think you could register a new kit against it.

As per my last post if you want to register it you need to contact Dtatag, they will send you a form to complete and request copies of the V5, once received they will contact the last owner who was registered to the Datatag and if they declare no interest in the bike it can be registered to you but you pay the registration fee.

You can, you just need to contact Datatag, tell them you don’t have the previous owner paperwork, they want a copy of the V5 and they will put it in your name… if it matches the V5.

You can, you just need to contact Datatag, tell them you don’t have the previous owner paperwork, they want a copy of the V5 and they will put it in your name… if it matches the V5.

Is that not what I said?

It is… just a shame my eyes and brain didn’t see that… soz

Well, can't find the sticker with the id number on it. Checked the frame and under the passenger seat, can't find it ��

Anyone willing to have a guess where to look and what it looks like?

Thanks!

Well, can't find the sticker with the id number on it. Checked the frame and under the passenger seat, can't find it ��

Anyone willing to have a guess where to look and what it looks like?

Thanks!

My sticker on my new GSA is under the passenger seat but at the very back. If you have the Rally one piece seat you need to lift the plastic plate to see it. The normal place for label on the GS is under headstock. Look up above radiator in the region of the right fork leg. On the frame tube you should see the label, not easy to see. If its not there you should see the black strip where it should be. My frame is white so easy to see the black strip

My sticker on my new GSA is under the passenger seat but at the very back. If you have the Rally one piece seat you need to lift the plastic plate to see it. The normal place for label on the GS is under headstock. Look up above radiator in the region of the right fork leg. On the frame tube you should see the label, not easy to see. If its not there you should see the black strip where it should be. My frame is white so easy to see the black strip

All I can see is the chassis / vin at the top not a datatag label. Normal 2 piece seat so nothing to remove and not under there. Didn't think these stickers were removable without causing damaged so surely it had to be somewhere?! ��

The long black rectangle in the middle of the pic is where the Datatag ID label should be. As stated before, mine was under seat and hence the place it should be is just the black rectangle as shown. Sorry, pic needs turning 90 degree clockwise.

Attachments

• 20210614_134106.jpg
    20210614_134106.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 357
Thanks for the photo, yeah definitely not there on mine although mines a 2015 so any chance it could be different label and location?

There's one on the other side of the frame near the fork that has the vin number, dB rating and a e1 number but also has a BMW logo on so didn't think it was that (sorry can't post a photo).

May just have to give up!

Cheers for the help

Fond memories of where the best place for a road tax disk should have gone….

So what evidence have we got that Datatag is a scrote deterrent ?
They'll steal anything, an size, any value, in broad daylight, a sticker warning .....that'll do it

Having the bike Datatagged reduced my policy with Bennetts by about £30 if I remember correctly.

That's my driver, insurance reduction!

Problem solved! Bought a uv torch off Amazon for £6 delivered next day and found an etching with the number on 😁

That's my driver, insurance reduction!

Problem solved! Bought a uv torch off Amazon for £6 delivered next day and found an etching with the number on 😁
Mmm, sorry to say but i think the etched number is not the number on the ID label

Back
Top Bottom