Returning biker with first BMW

pcolbeck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I haven't ridden for over twenty years (usual kids, work etc). This weekend I bought a 1996 R850R with 36,000 on the clock and after a quick trip in the car to get a new lid and jacket took it for my first ride. Massive smiles even though I am very rusty (and a lot older than last time :)
Previously I didn't even have a car licence until I was in my late 20s just bikes including a BSA B40, Honda CB250RS (brilliant), Kawasaki Z1000, GPZ900R (only new bike I ever bought and lovely), CB400N, CB900F2 Eurosport.
I live in North Yorkshire in a small village on the edge of the Wolds so plenty of quite roads for bimbling around on.
For now I'll just be concentrating on keeping the R850R the right way up and on the grey bit and off the green bit whilst trying to relearn all the riding skills I have forgotten of which current very low speed manoeuvring seems to be the one that's really slipped the memory.

Pat

Welcome to the forum.

If it's been a long time since you've ridden, it may be worth getting a few refresher lessons for some pointers to get your confidence back up a bit quicker.

Enjoy your new bike.

And here she is. Not bad for an old girl. WIll need to do some titivating this winter (rust on subframe behind panels and under seat needs sorting for example) but I'm pleased with her.

bike.jpg

Bike looks nice.
As said, have a couple, or more, refresher sessions with an advanced tutor/group. I know from experience that when I got back to bikes after 20yrs away I was bloody dangerous both to myself and others.
The other thing......... get a telltail for that disk lock before you try to ride off with it still in place. (Been there/done that)

I might get some lessons. Bit difficult round here at the moment though due to covid. Guy two houses down has been trying to get lessons to pass the last part of his test for a year now.
I know what you mean about the disk lock. Friend of mine was setting off to work very early one morning on an original RS80/GS when they were new. Climbed on gave it a few revs and popped a wheely down the street only to see the U lock still through the front wheel. Had about 200 yards to decide exactly how he wanted to crash before he reached the T junction at the end of the street ......

Back
Top Bottom