Compression test

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just done a compression test on my new to me R75/6.
Following tune up procedure in my Clymer so have done valve adjustments, plugs, timing, initial settings on the carbs, warmed the the engine up, removed both plugs then spun the engine over until pressure stabilized.
Just read an article on Adventure rider and they state to remove the carbs prior to doing the test else your readings will be low.
I got 112 psi on both sides which according to the Clymer is at the low end of the normal section.
Should I be removing the carbs and how warm should the engine be?
First time in doing this test and this is my first airhead (probably obvious) :nenau
Paul

The readings should be higher but the good thing is that their even. JJH

Listen to Mikeyboy man of wisdom I should thing wide open throttle allows cylinders to fill with air to compress same has removing carbs 👍👍

Just read an article on Adventure rider and they state to remove the carbs prior to doing the test else your readings will be low.

Well that makes it an adventure............... :D

Honestly, who the feck is giving that advice ?

Just wondering - how long has the bike been standing unused in these strange times, if not before?

Personally, given the even readings, I would just change the oil & then give it a few decent runs, just to get the engine through several heat cycles. Then maybe re-check in say 500 miles time.

Thanks Mike for the sound advice, rerun the compression tests with throttle wide open and got 130psi on both sides so very happy :aidan
Steptoe, I think that advice came from a couple of our American cousins why do you think I asked here !!

Brand new Draper compression tester so I hope it is accurate

I’d suggest that it doesn’t have to be that exact. It’s told you what you needed to know. JJH

Back
Top Bottom