Front shock mounting loose

Richard ZB

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a 2006 1200gs, 54,000 miles, and a knock from front suspension. The lower mounting point of the standard shock has alot of play in it.
How do I fix this? The bolt is at correct torque. I can't seem to find any information on whether I can fit a new bush and rubber, need to send it off for a rebuild or if I have to get a new/second hand one from motorworks?

Any wisdom welcome!
Thanks
Richard

HI Richard,

Welcome to the forum, lets see what we can do ..

to make things easier, it helps if you can give us as much info as possible - BMW make lots of revisions to the bikes over the years

just saying i have a 2006 model mean there are 12 possible production varients to look through

if you can give the month of manufacture means we / you can find the correct bits realy quickly :)

THis is the part in querstion i believe

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_04_0307,0317_&diagId=31_0688

looking at that there is no bush available in the suspension unit , however from experience

part number 2 gets compressed and can wear, leading to a clonk when dropping off the centre stand

If as you say you have play at the the lower mount, it may require professional help

Denzo (luke) on the forum does shock repairs very reasonably price wise

Drop him a line (pm ) and have a chat

if you need a donor part, stick a wanted request up, someone may have one looking for a new home at cost ;)

Thanks Santa, great info. The clonk is a when rocking it back and forward with front brake on. I will take the lower bolt out and examine the rubber, and take it from there. Looks like a jub for Denzo!

HI Richard,

Welcome to the forum,

He’s been a member since 2009 :D ........ OP, there are different OEM shocks but they basically all use the same type of bush on the lower mount. As suggested in the post above, are you sure it’s the shock absorber ? The usual culprit for front end “clonks” with the front brake applied is the front ball joint.

Way back when, I had a clonk on my 1150gs when rocking it with the front brake on, new disc bobbins sorted it. If the 1200 has floating discs it might be worth a look at the front brake.

Back
Top Bottom