Leaking cam covers

davy1100

Reaction score
Hi folks I've a 2017 gs1200 , I noticed oil weeping from both cam covers when I removed them it looks like bubbled paint on the cam cover has caused the leak , is this a common fault and have I any come back with bmw 🤔 or do I just rub down the mating surface and apply a bit of instant gasket a long the rubber seal any advice much appreciated

I would have thought the rubber seal would deal with any small imperfections like paint imperfections. From experience take off the covers and clean the rubber seals, wipe any oil off the other surfaces and replace clean and dry. Do not exceed the torque values of the bolts.

As above, the mating surface is not painted as far as I remember so as long has it is clean and free of damage it should seal perfectly

The rubber seals are not known for wearing out so again as long as they are clean and not damaged at all they should not leak

Pop them off, clean up and inspect for damage

Don’t over tighten the bolts when you put them back on, apparently it is easy to strip the threads in the head, the specified torque is 10NM

Attachments

• 91118235-FBD3-474D-BDFD-47BA8957761F.jpg
    91118235-FBD3-474D-BDFD-47BA8957761F.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 233
Thanks folks fingers crossed I have 1 sealed now to do the other cleaned seal up and bit of vaseline on mating surface also rubbed the bubbled paint or maybe corrosion down othe the over �� thanks for advice

Don’t over tighten the bolts when you put them back on, apparently it is easy to strip the threads in the head, the specified torque is 10NM

True.
DAMHIK.

Why the vaseline! Clean and dry for the best seal, the vaseline will allow the gasket to move

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom