clutch micro switch

geoff48h

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
stalled bike the the other day pulled in clutch hit starter button, silence
before i go spending money with bmw on a new switch
any other tips what it could be

Maybe a squirt of contact cleaner.

Personally, I removed mine when it started playing up, cleaned it thoroughly & bench tested it before refitting. Probably not a long term fix though; these things tend to fail at the most inconvenient moments.

If you think its the micro switch, find the plug and test the micro switch with a multi-meter it will make and break if its not change it. You could also check the side stand switch as it is also needs to be working in the circuit to allow starting. If the bike has been exposed to water ie-pressure washing the gear position selector at the back of the gearbox maybe an issue as that is where the neutral switch gets its input.

Initially if the fault is still there check both micro switches if the fault has gone try to reproduce it then proceed with testing. The neutral switch would be the last thing I would try.

The position of the switch is adjustable. Just try moving it slightly. .

Some after market levers can be a bit hit and miss with the clutch switch,
Its worth checking the adjustment as mentioned,

no not yet, think it may be lose or dirty, not been a well bunny so not been in right frame of mind

r9t cluch micro switch

I did take switch off and clean it, worked for a few months and has now stopped again, think I will just buy a new one and fit that when I can be arsed

This is such a regular issue with riders away from home, specially those riding a bit off road

It does make you wonder if we should install a switch to turn the feature on or off while at home in the garage.
why wait while your in the middle of Africa or wherever lol

if it fails, hop off bike lift the seat (or wherever you put switch) and flick.... back on the road :)

something to consider.

its not a big deal just means only starts in neutral

Back
Top Bottom