IMac not online/connecting

John B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m beginning to hate Apple with their incessant “upgrades” I’m still running Yosemite Os so I can still use iPhoto and Aperture but now the safari/ Firefox and mail struggle to connect (I’m typing this on my iPad so I know no issues with router) Any ideas as to why this is happening, it’s a 2012 iMac, is it on it’s last legs?
Cheers:beerjug:JohnB

I don't think it's the machine. I'm running the same year 27" iMac. Runs just fine but I have let it do all the upgrades. 1Tb SSD, 24Gb of RAM and currently using OS Catalina as it won't go any further. Also using Firefox. I hope I'm not going to regret saying this; best computer I have ever owned from new and apart from an upgraded hard drive and some more RAM a couple of years ago it's been as good as gold.:okay

it’s a 2012 iMac, is it on it’s last legs?

No. The machine is fine.
I still have a 2012 Mac mini running and works fine. OS has been upgraded up to the last version available for that hardware: Catalina.
I also have way older macs and they all still work online pretty well. Even very old/obscure ones :D

By "struggle to connect" what do you mean?
All the times?

Are you using a wired connection or wifi?

Maybe change the DNS servers?

Ta for responses, It's both wired and the wi-fi is on too. I'm wondering now if my internet supplier (BT) is running under par as I was listening to Radio on my iPad and then that dropped out this afternoon and all appears well at the moment:nenau Cheers:beerjug: John B
p.s. for a 2012 iMac is Catalina the last "upgrade" you can do?

for a 2012 iMac is Catalina the last "upgrade" you can do?

It should be.

Testing with different DNS servers is a good suggestion.
Have a look here: https://1.1.1.1/dns/

I am currently with Sky Broadband and sometimes I have connection issues (at night) and it is generally due to their DNS. I'm just too lazy to replace them on all the computers (or once on the router). But give it a try.
Also, while you are troubleshooting, use one single connection at a time: either wired or wifi. Not both. Even though the Mac will prioritise one or the other (according to the order you set in the Network preferences) having one single connection might be easier.

Back
Top Bottom