Not open for further replies.

DS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for advise please.
Will try to keep short.
In the event of accident requiring repairs would you:

1) Go with your insurers preferred (crash damage repairers), or
2) Have your local BMW dealer take care of it?

My situation. I was taken out by a driver who (having hit me) abandoned the car 10 meters up the road. Police unable to trace driver, car uninsured, no tax or MOT. Car boot full of weed.
It’ll be my insurance paying out and I have the final say of where the work gets done.

Both options are local.
The feedback on the crash repairs is 95% good. https://www.4th-dimension.co.uk/
My local dealers are Bahnstormer BMW in Maidenhead. I know nothing of their crash / damage history, but I am leaning towards them, purely because any after repair issues I assume will be easier to resolve (on a drop in basis).

Which one would you chose & why please?

My bike was repaired by 4th Dimension after a similar accident. I thought they were very good.

My Africa Twin 1000 was close to being a write off. The engineer looking after my bike asked me to consider whether I actually wanted it written off (I didn't) so we spent quite a bit of time getting their repair quote under the threshold. This meant they repaired a couple of non-visible items rather than replace them, and used a couple of pattern parts rather than Honda in non-critical areas.

Even knowing the "short cuts" we agreed to, the bike looks fab and very happy with the work they did

May be things have moved on but in my day uninsured meant you dealt with the Motor Insurer's Bureau - a slick machine versed in the art of not paying out. Any damage to yrself, clothing / helmet, NCB etc? Are both bmw and 4D happy to deal direct with yr insurance company or do you have to pay up and then claim back? Have both quoted similar repair bill, repair time and courtesy vehicle? good luck!

insurance companies will quite happily transport bikes all over the place.

you can have your bike fixed where ever you want . it is your choice, not your insurance company.insurance co. may pressure you , tell them to F.R.O.
personally i would not choose 4thD , cos i have seen 3 jobs come out of there ( out of 4 ) , where the customer was not happy.
one of my previous managers went to work there , he left within 3 months. a mechanic friend lasted ......4 weeks . both of them i consider to be very good people.

I’d go with the main dealer. The only reason the insurance co had another option for you is to save them money. I was knocked off my bike a couple of years ago and I was fucked around royaly by my own insurance co. Just a load of fuckoligy from day 2. The 3 rd party insurance was easier to deal with. Liability was admitted and they still fucked me around. JJH

I think I would be sticking with bmw dealer, chance to (continue?) to build a relationship with them.
I reckon 4th d exist to cut corners to minimise costs to the ins co, you may get the same outcome but you’re unlikely to get better service with them.
I would check out possibility of claiming on MIB as mentioned

I think I would be sticking with bmw dealer, chance to (continue?) to build a relationship with them.

Same here.

Only, in case of an older bike (not sure what you have) I noticed BMW dealers are a bit trigger happy with the "scrap it" option instead of actually fixing them. Just keep that in mind.

Looking for advise please.
Will try to keep short.
In the event of accident requiring repairs would you:

1) Go with your insurers preferred (crash damage repairers), or
2) Have your local BMW dealer take care of it?

My situation. I was taken out by a driver who (having hit me) abandoned the car 10 meters up the road. Police unable to trace driver, car uninsured, no tax or MOT. Car boot full of weed.
It’ll be my insurance paying out and I have the final say of where the work gets done.

Both options are local.
The feedback on the crash repairs is 95% good. https://www.4th-dimension.co.uk/
My local dealers are Bahnstormer BMW in Maidenhead. I know nothing of their crash / damage history, but I am leaning towards them, purely because any after repair issues I assume will be easier to resolve (on a drop in basis).

Which one would you chose & why please?

Know of 3 friends who were skelped by 4th Dimension, one is stiil involved in a legal wrangle over a bill of £1000's for a loan bike, repairs that should have taken days took MONTHS with sh*te communication, constant lies about progress etc.

It is your bike you can decide where you are repairs carried out

Thanks for the responses.
Agreed with my insurers that BMW are doing the repairs.
My insurers will pay Bmw and my insurers then claim from MIB.
Personal injury compensation, kit, lid etc all being covered by my insurer who pay me out and they then claim back from MIB.
Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom