changing head light bulb

slimpickings

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
..... on a 1200 GSA. 2012. not LC

I've done it a few times ,fiddling about unscrewing the cover cap losing the spring washer or snapping off the bit of retaining plastic

I'm pretty sure I have seen on here the best way is to remove the entire head light assembly .
I've looked all over for the post without success
Can any one point me in the right direction

..... on a 1200 GSA. 2012. not LC

I've done it a few times ,fiddling about unscrewing the cover cap losing the spring washer or snapping off the bit of retaining plastic

I'm pretty sure I have seen on here the best way is to remove the entire head light assembly .
I've looked all over for the post without success
Can any one point me in the right direction

I tend to do this as it is just a few "bolts" mostly because I have big mitts! and the chances of breaking another bit are high as they are Cheap Dung!!

LINKY

I tried changing a headlight bulb at the roadside and broke something which led to the height adjustment being too high on my 2008 bike. Own fault for having sausage fingers.

When I decided to upgrade the bulbs on my 2010 bike I was not taking a chance. 10 minutes strip down to remove headlamp was worth the piece of mind.

Easy to do and worth it in the long run.

1 bolt either side attaching indicators, 1 bolt either side holding lamp unit , 2 electrical connections + daylight running bulb, a little lubricant or silicon grease helps the daylight running bulb slide home easier, jobs a good un.

I seem to blow one every time I'm in mainland Europe.
When I've tried to replace one my hand is too big to fit. I happened across an Italian Ducati dealer and a small guy, with wee hands, got it done easily.

I think the safest bet is to make sure there is a gynecologist in the group.

S20 5G sent this......

I remember changing dip bulb on roadside... it was a PITA..... and my beam is all over the shop... reading this makes me think something might be broken in my 2008:fiddle

I don’t think the dipped headlight bulb has ever lasted 12 months, usually as I am preparing to ride and pops on start up, I have tried various brands and prices and never found one better than another.

Not quite so easy if you have the Dash Infill Panel.....

sorted it today took about 4 minutes

remove two screws one on each side lift unit up off the little retainer peg hole thingy

wiggle the whole unit around and it will tilt forward enough to get your hands in . unscrew cover cap ,
pull of bulb connection and replace dead bulb with new and fit new one
re locate the unit into the little hole and tighten up the two side screws

No need to take screen off or disconnect any wiring
Access is so good you could do it wearing boxing gloves.
at the roadside if needed

I remember changing dip bulb on roadside... it was a PITA..... and my beam is all over the shop... reading this makes me think something might be broken in my 2008:fiddle

I think it will be the little peg is not sitting in the retaining hole 2 minute job to sort

I think it will be the little peg is not sitting in the retaining hole 2 minute job to sort

Or he's popped the reflector off one of the ball joints inside the headlight. I did this and it was a pain in the arse to get it back on. I drilled a small hole in the base of the headlight in the end to lever it back on with a screwdriver. Common problem. There's a few threads on it that could search for.

Got round to this at last, I don't ride much in the dark :D

sorted it today took about 4 minutes

remove two screws one on each side lift unit up off the little retainer peg hole thingy
Defo the way to go. :thumb2

Thanks, it was in position but I see what you mean.

Or he's popped the reflector off one of the ball joints inside the headlight. .
hmmm... the reflector seems OK.. bit of movement if you tug on the bulb.

I think the biggest revelation was finding the headlight adjuster screw :blast:blast... but I'll have to wait till dark to find out. Thanks for replies. :beerjug:

you can do low beam without tools... centres stand put it on a lock and get on with it... I doubt many have bigger hand than me... you just have to try and don't expect to see what you are doing at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom