Shaping and via points - unannounced / announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianm00

Reaction score
OK, now we know that your problem is not so much with BaseCamp (you can plot a route, evidently) but with your using of your GPS device, I can suggest a simple trick for you to try. About a mile or so from your start point, in the direction / on road you want to take, insert a via point (ie a point you must go through) into your route. Depending on which GPS device you are using, when you fire up your route you may well see a choice of three destinations:

1. Start

2. The via point, a mile or so away from your start point

3. End

Chose number 2.

From wherever you a standing (whether that be Aberdeen or Norwich or Canterbury or Bath, it makes no difference, nor if your via point is in say, Penzance or Birmingham) your device will route you to that point, without fail. From there, the route will run normally, right to the end, without you having to do one more thing. There are other methods but try this simple one first, please.

What device do you use, by the way?

PS The only caveat I would make is that if the via point 2 is behind where you are standing, the device will route you backwards (so that you pass through point 2) and then the device will run you forwards along the route, in the direct you want to take.

Wapping,

I think I understand the difference in Shaping points, via points and waypoints. However when creating a route in basecamp are "unannounced points" = to shaping points? and "announced points" = to via points? I created a route but when I try following it the recalculation when starting the route ends up giving me a direct route from start to finish so I assume that all of the unannounced points are shaping points. I will change these to announced points and try again. (is there a way of having via points (a point i must pass through) unannounced?

Thanks

Ian

Ian, I have started you a new thread.

Shaping points are always unannounced

Via points are always announced, they cannot be unannounced

Waypoints are always announced, they cannot be unannounced

Richard

Ian, I have started you a new thread.

Shaping points are always unannounced

Via points are always announced, they cannot be unannounced

Waypoints are always announced, they cannot be unannounced

Richard

Thankyou.

I had created a route with a start waypoint, several shaping points and an end waypoint using basecamp. The route was tranferred to my nav 5 and looked correct.

When starting the route however it re-calculated a new route direct to my endpoint.
I managed to fix this by changing the first shaping point to announced hence via point. When starting the route I was directed to the first via point and then followed the remaining of the route through the shaping points to the end waypoint which was my aim.

Ian

Which GPS device do you have? The good news is that it appears to be behaving normally.

I guess that when you fired up your route, you were given just two choices: Start and end?

If so and you chose ‘end’, then indeed your device may well route you to the end point, from wherever it is you are standing, choosing roads that match with your preference settings. This is particularly common if:

A. You are not standing at the start point

B. You are standing some way off the route

In other words, in essence you said to the device: “I am standing here, take me to the point called end”. So it did, as that is what you told it to do. Had you been standing in Aberdeen or Penzance and the end point been in Norwich, the device would have taken you to Norwich, without fail. Had you been in Aberdeen or Penzance, with the start in Cardiff and you’d chosen ‘start’, then the device would have taken you to Cardiff and then (without you doing anything more) would have run you - along your route, with all its shaping points - all the way to Norwich.

On older devices, you used to receive an instruction to: “Please navigate to highlighted route”. In other words, the device would run the route unaltered but you (the rider) had to navigate yourself onto it, from wherever it was you happened to be standing. Once you’d found your way onto the route, the device would run normally from there.

There are several work around to cope with the way the newer devices operate. You can still do the equivalent of ‘navigate to highlighted route’, the only difference being that you do not start the route until you have got yourself onto the magenta line.

The newer devices (including the Nav V) place far more onus on the announced via and waypoints (the points you have told the device you must pass through) than older models, though the points -and the way they work - have always been important for many years. Similarly, the operating systems (the way the newer devices function) especially at first start has changed. Once you get used to them, they are very good and very powerful tools but (as you found out) can be incredibly dumb, too…. Or maybe it’s us, the owners, that are dumb and the machine just does what the dumbo has asked it to do. A mixture of the two, most often.

:beerjug:

I guess that when you fired up your route, you were given just two choices: Start and end?

If so and you chose ‘end’, then indeed your device may well route you to the end point, from wherever it is you are standing, choosing roads that match with your preference settings. This is particularly common if:

A. You are not standing at the start point

B. You are standing some way off the route

In other words, in essence you said to the device: “I am standing here, take me to the point called end”. So it did, as that is what you told it to do. Had you been standing in Aberdeen or Penzance and the end point been in Norwich, the device would have taken you to Norwich, without fail. Had you been in Aberdeen or Penzance, with the start in Cardiff and you’d chosen ‘start’, then the device would have taken you to Cardiff and then (without you doing anything more) would have run you - along your route, with all its shaping points - all the way to Norwich.

On older devices, you used to receive an instruction to: “Please navigate to highlighted route”. In other words, the device would run the route unaltered but you (the rider) had to navigate yourself onto it, from wherever it was you happened to be standing. Once you’d found your way onto the route, the device would run normally from there.

There are several work around to cope with the way the newer devices operate. You can still do the equivalent of ‘navigate to highlighted route’, the only difference being that you do not start the route until you have got yourself onto the magenta line.

The newer devices (including the Nav V) place far more onus on the announced via and waypoints (the points you have told the device you must pass through) than older models, though the points -and the way they work - have always been important for many years. Similarly, the operating systems (the way the newer devices function) especially at first start has changed. Once you get used to them, they are very good and very powerful tools but (as you found out) can be incredibly dumb, too…. Or maybe it’s us, the owners, that are dumb and the machine just does what the dumbo has asked it to do. A mixture of the two, most often.

:beerjug:

I have a NAV 5.

Yes I think your explanation is probably correct. However as a user I dont think its un-reasonable to assume that when you load a route that the navigator should try and route you from your current position to the next closest shaping, via or waypoint and then continue following the rest of the route.

Just ignoring any route loaded and re-calculating to the end point, next via or waypoint is not very good software.

However provided you know it does this, an easy fix is to just add a via point on the route near to the start so that you can select this point when starting the route and all goes well.

Thanks

Ian

or place your start point just a way down the road and navigate onto it. When asked for start or end, navigate to start. I have learned to do this as it used to catch me out too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom