Sammy Cunningham

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Recently bought a used 750 from BMW dealer, had 5K mile already done with 1 previous BMW employee owner. When I went to collect it the battery was dead, dead, dead. The dealer was able to jump start with small power pack. it seemed to start well for the next 1 week then I encountered the same issue. BMW were fair enough to supply me a brand new battery FOC. Battery installed, a few small runs had the bike sat in the garage for +/- 2 weeks without use. I went to go on a bike trip yesterday and although the battery wasn't dead, dead, dead, it was drained down to 7 volts. I sent an email to the FP at BMW dealer asking for elec inspection to be done and he responded with 2 notes.

1) BMW dealer- Does the bike have a tracker?
a) I have not opted to activate the data tool tracker offered with the bike so to my needs I don't require a tracker however the previous owner may have used this?
b) How can I tell if there is a tracker on the bike? and where would it be?

2) BMW dealer- Are you using a trickle charger?
a) This is my first BMW bike but not my first bike by a long shot, I have never stored my previous bikes with trickle chargers connected so why would he be asking if I am using a trickle feeder??
b) Any 750 owners had any similar issues? Any known history with this bike? if so what was the outcome?

1) BMW dealer- Does the bike have a tracker? BMW fit Datatool stealth 5 trackers to new bike from 2020 onwards
b) How can I tell if there is a tracker on the bike? and where would it be? Did you get two Datatool fobs with the bike? The location of the tracker is supposed to be hard to find. I can’t readily see the one on my f850gs but haven’t taken off body panels to look for it.

2) BMW dealer- Are you using a trickle charger?
a) This is my first BMW bike but not my first bike by a long shot, I have never stored my previous bikes with trickle chargers connected so why would he be asking if I am using a trickle feeder?? The tracker feeds off the battery to function therefore will present a drain over time - I don’t know how long as I’ve only had my f850gs for a week.
b) Any 750 owners had any similar issues? Any known history with this bike? if so what was the outcome?
Contact Datatool/Scorpion on 01257 249928 and tell them your registration number and ask them if they have it registered on their records.
Alan R

Contact Datatool/Scorpion on 01257 249928 and tell them your registration number and ask them if they have it registered on their records.
Alan R

Even if the tracking unit isn't being used my thoughts are that it is likely to be connected and draining a small amount of power which will be enough to flatten a battery after a few weeks.

If it's straightforward, I would disconnect it.

I have the tracker enabled on my 850GSA and I’ve just measured the current drain with a multimeter, it measures 0.1 amps or 100 milliamperes. The battery is 10 amp hour so 100 hours to a dead battery by my reckoning. I have mine on the BMW canbus charger and it frequently stays charging at 0.1 amp and doesn’t go to sleep like it did on my last 2 BMW’s.

By-Tor, most certainly could indeed be the cause, thanks for checking your current drainage and informing me, makes perfect sense, it feels Im on the right track. Thanks.

I have the tracker enabled on my 850GSA and I’ve just measured the current drain with a multimeter, it measures 0.1 amps or 100 milliamperes. The battery is 10 amp hour so 100 hours to a dead battery by my reckoning. I have mine on the BMW canbus charger and it frequently stays charging at 0.1 amp and doesn’t go to sleep like it did on my last 2 BMW’s.
Interesting… I have two bike so I’m able to leave the tracked one alone for a while. I might leave it for a week, 168 hours, and see if your theory holds water.
Alan R

Well, a week later (168 hours), and the bike fires up no hesitation, so the reckoning above doesn’t quite pan out. If the OP has had two batteries displaying rapid charge loss, then maybe the bike isn’t charging properly?
Alan R

Well, a week later (168 hours), and the bike fires up no hesitation, so the reckoning above doesn’t quite pan out. If the OP has had two batteries displaying rapid charge loss, then maybe the bike isn’t charging properly?
Alan R

Maybe you’re the lucky one, mine does discharge to flat over time it did at the dealers who fitted a new battery 3 weeks ago. Here’s a picture of my canbus charger which in this fully charged state should go to power saving mode, it rarely does. As you can see there’s still a draw of 0.1A, my last two bikes a GS1200 LC and XR 1000 rarely woke the thing up when charged.

Attachments

• 02BF9AAE-24D7-42F9-B599-1D613481F8DA.jpg
    02BF9AAE-24D7-42F9-B599-1D613481F8DA.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 438
I have a 1250GSA with tracker, maybe the battery is slightly larger, but I recently left the bike for over two weeks, fired up without any issues. :nenau

The Biketrac is around 5mA.

0.1 amp draw seems quite a lot.

What brand?

If it's a Trakking, Honda reckon the current draw should be .4mA - not detailed on the Datatool site.

Maybe there's a fault with it, or the multimeter is reading incorrectly?

"The unit has been designed from the ground up to be motorcycle and scooter friendly with a waterproof casing design and ultra-low current draw (0.4ma) to minimise battery drain."

I had the same issue over winter on my 750, now use a trickle charger, it was ok for weeks at a time though.

I thought it was the alarm, but it wasn't activated, never had any issues with my prev bike which was a v strom, 650 but not as many electronics I suppose.

Cheers
Tam

If it's a Trakking, Honda reckon the current draw should be .4mA - not detailed on the Datatool site.

Maybe there's a fault with it, or the multimeter is reading incorrectly?

"The unit has been designed from the ground up to be motorcycle and scooter friendly with a waterproof casing design and ultra-low current draw (0.4ma) to minimise battery drain."

I had the Stealth on a F850GS I owned, which is what BMW installs by default on the 750/850. It’s battery was flat enough not to start (although the bike would turn on) after 9 days or so from a full charge. However, my 750 was from before they started offering free trackers so I had the Trakking Adventure installed and have never had an issue with the battery draining, even when off a trickle charger for several weeks.

Read the thread with interest and wondered why the issue surely being on a trickle charger since new with no issues I’m invincible. 2.5 years then a flat battery? Disconnected the charger and starred from scratch again, battery charged and holding charge but no longer permanently in charge. Spoke to BMW service and they claim the Din socket takes charge when the charger shuts down into sleep mode when full, so a perfect recipe for a discharge? Hmm not sure I’m buying that after almost three years without a problem. Another location to test!

Back
Top Bottom