..speedo choice..

got acewell on mine love it and very star trek when ignition turned on with sweeping needle..:D

Arkwright put a Speedhut (GPS) unit on my G/S.

The glass does condense (unit may need to be sealed properly) and the rev counter can stick!

He ordered the BMW G/S logo.

The GPS sensor sits on between the handlebar brackets on this bike.

Gerry

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 18.41.11.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 18.41.11.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 18.38.05.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-17 at 18.38.05.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 285
Are GPS speedos actually Legit

I think there is an MOT fail for this over here If they work out its a GPS one

Remember we have Government test centres not like your garage ones

Certainly no mot fail here,not even tested.
What would be a reason for legal/ mot issue?

GPS Failure = No speedo

They won't let you use a separate mounted GPS here for your Kmh on MPH only speedo bikes Eg American R1100RTP import I took to test about 7 years back

They also won;t let you have stickers on the glass as the markings have to be illuminated they have to be in the clocks

Think about us poor feckers over here next time you bitch about your MOTs

GPS Failure = No speedo

They won't let you use a separate mounted GPS here for your Kmh on MPH only speedo bikes Eg American R1100RTP import I took to test about 7 years back

They also won;t let you have stickers on the glass as the markings have to be illuminated they have to be in the clocks

Think about us poor feckers over here next time you bitch about your MOTs

Crikey,seems a bit heavy handed.:comfort

Keeerrrrrching
I’ve got one but it’s in KM

I bought the (rebuilt mph) original from Arkwright a short time after buying the bike.

Looks like I made the right decision :thumby:

speedo not a MOT requirement - they cannot even test one anyway as they do not ride your bike to check it- my original unit failed so was replaces with acewell

It's a bit confusing :blast

Construction and use says it is a Legal requirement to have a speedo fitted Except in the instances below

Speedometers
35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;
(c)an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;
(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;
(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;
(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;
(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or
(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.
(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39

I know they don't test them (perhaps so that someone can't say It showed 30 mph Officer adn its just been tested at MOT)

Apparently it is an offence to drive or ride without a fully functioning one Undamaged and unobscured from rider / drivers view

I believe that the Siebenrock speedo is made by Acewell, but could be wrong (it does happen, very rarely!)

I have a acewell CA85 (or whatever the numbers ) and it really is plug n play. I couldn’t afford a brand new R80g/s speedo, even if I could find a working one.
The acewell looks fine, and works....... that’s good enough for me.

Does the ST speedo fit the g/s? Does anyone know, or are they different sizes?

I believe that the Siebenrock speedo is made by Acewell, but could be wrong (it does happen, very rarely!)

Does the ST speedo fit the g/s? Does anyone know, or are they different sizes?
The size is the same I believe but the fitment is very different. From memory I think the odometer reset is on the side of the ST not on top.

Back
Top Bottom