HELP side stand switch

dashfixer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got on the bike (09 GS) this morning to ride 130 miles home and the engine cuts out as soon as I put it in gear.

My first suspect is the side stand switch. I've taken the switch off but I cant see how the plug comes off the switch, if it does.

I can see that there are 3 wires going into the switch but it looks like it's hard wired at that end of the loom.

Anyone any idea how I can bypass the switch so that I can get home?

I’ve seen elsewhere a small piece of wire ( paper clip) being used to short red and white, it’s tucks into the connector. I’d try this rather then cut into wires.

Looking at Real OEM, looks like the switch and cable are all in one, replacement seems to require two parts anyway, a swtch and adaptor cable.....

If you can get to the other end of the switch cable to unplug it then great, but might not be so easy on the side of the road. Never had to do it so don't know on that. Link to the part on Real OEM below..........

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_08_0303,0313_&diagId=61_3642

Thanks Roy. Managed to push a thin piece of stainless wire down into the loom where it goes into the switch. It went into the red and white wires.
It worked well enough to get me home, I'll do a proper repair this afternoon.
Thanks for the help with what wires to short.👍

Good job Dashfixer..... getting moving again was the top priority and you can now resolve at your leisure. Plus I now know what to do now if mine packs up on me so good result all round !! ::beerjug:

This is a great example of the strength of this forum. What a fantastic bunch of people there are on here.:clap

Back
Top Bottom