Devitt - a cancellation tale

developer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having sold the GSA I rang Devitt to cancel my £250 policy.

Headlines are:
6 months into the policy
No refund
£55 cancellation fee

They will waive the cancellation fee as there's no refund, and credit it back to me if I insure with them again within 12 months.

I think no refund after only 6 months is laughable and a £55 cancellation fee extortionate :mad:

Headlines are:
6 months into the policy
No refund
£55 cancellation fee

They will waive the cancellation fee as there's no refund, and credit it back to me if I insure with them again within 12 months.

I think no refund after only 6 months is laughable and a £55 cancellation fee extortionate :mad:

If they have changed the t&c of the policy from when you took it, complain.

Headlines are:
6 months into the policy
No refund
£55 cancellation fee

I had the same recently. Daylight robbery, won’t be using them again.

I suspect most will have a very similar policy and amount charged.

I suspect most will have a very similar policy and amount charged.

I just had the same with Hastings direct.

Tried phoning them for three days a month or so ago to add a bike to my policy, but they 'were unable to answer the phone', 'live chat' was disabled, and their do it yourself web-page didn't cater for what I wanted.
After three days of trying I saw red and cancelled my direct debit and took out a policy with someone else.

They stung me with cancellation fees so I formerly complained about their shit service and got £20 off!

I had a similar situation when cancelling my insurance with Devitt last year. I had taken the policy out through GoCompare and the reason for the cancellation fee was that they had paid GoCompare a cut of the premium. My biker buddy took her policy out online through the BMW website - she got a proportionate refund.

Lesson learned for me - do a few quotes with GoCompare varying parameters like mileage, value etc. Then pick someone you can then get a quote directly, either online or by phone.

Judging by the regular bleating on here, it seems that some continue to take out policies with companies whose terms and charges they dislike, but don't check out (or ignore) when they buy the policy. Cheapest is almost invariably not the best metric for selecting cover. I use LV for my Car and Bikes because they provide a very good policy, equally good customer service and don't charge the earth for changes or cancellation. I've just sold my Street Triple and cancelled the policy with two months left to run; I still got a refund after a £15 cancellation charge. They're certainly not the cheapest but neither are they ridiculously expensive.

We are being defrauded by insurance companies at every opportunity, I would say it is criminal.

But you would say that, wouldn’t you.

It is very doubtful that the insurer themselves is making the charges, though return premiums at less than pro-rata are not entirely unknown when the full annual premium is heavily discounted from day one. Look at the opening post’s premium, it is £250 of which a chunk (12%) was premium tax, so not premium at all. Let’s though use the £250 figure, which is 68 pence per day. The OP does not say what GSA model he owned, but let’s ascribe a notional value to it of £10,000 should it be written off or stolen. That’s an awful lot of £250’s; 40 to be exact. Then let’s mix in the unlimited public liability bodily injury cover and the £20,000,000 of third party property damage cover the policy provides. Then, sit back and think what else you can but for 68p a day? A cinema ticket? No. A box of 20 cigarettes? No. A pint of beer? No. A decent newspaper? No. A shag with a whore? No. A Mars bar? No. In short, you can get and do feck all with 68p a day. Yet bods will still moan.

So, if it’s not the insurer that is being unreasonable, who is it? Well, arguably it is either Devitt, who are not an insurer at all (but do portray themselves as the bikers’ friend) or it’s the policy holder, who probably couldn’t be arsed to read or listen to the cancellation terms when he rushed into the bargain of 68p a day. He’ll know to next time…. Or maybe not.

But you would say that, wouldn’t you.

It is very doubtful that the insurer themselves is making the charges, though return premiums at less than pro-rats are not entirely unknown when the full annual premium is heavily discounted. Look at the opening post’s premium, it is £250 of which a chunk (12%) was premium tax, so not premium at all. Let’s though use the £250 figure, which is 68 pence per day. The OP does not say what GSA model he owned, but let’s ascribe a notional value to it of £10,000 should it be written off or stolen. That’s an awful lot of £250’s; 40 to be exact. Then let’s mix in the unlimited public liability bodily injury cover and the £20,000,000 of third party property damage cover the policy provides. Then, sit back and think what else you can but for 68p a day? A cinema ticket? No. A box of 20 cigarettes? No. A pint of beer? No. A decent newspaper? No. A shag with a whore? No. A Mars bar? No. In short, you can get and do feck all with 68p a day. Yet bods will still moan.

So, if it’s not the insurer that is being unreasonable, who is it? Well, arguably it is either Devitt, who are not an insurer at all (but do portray themselves as the bikers’ friend) or it’s the policy holder, who probably couldn’t be arsed to read or listen to the cancellation terms when he rushed into the bargain of 68p a day. He’ll know to next time…. Or maybe not.
Your 68p a day is notional. You can’t actually buy it. A better comparison would be house insurance. My policy at €400 approx covers 50000€ Contents and rebuild costs at €350000. Plus public liability and a smattering of other benefits. JJH

Its purpose was illustrative, nothing more and the daily cost of the policy is entirely accurate, give or take a decimal place or two. Of course household insurance premiums are lower (penny for pound) as the risk of a total loss are very much less, than that of a motorbike. Not least, as there are many more houses insured than GSA motorcycles, the spread is greater; spread being as important to an insurer as anything else. That is simple to understand, is it not? I could just as easily roll out an example of an industrial property premium of £1,500,000 for total values of £15,000,000,000 but that, alongside your house example, is equally meaningless in the context of UK domestic motor insurance.

Having changed my occupation from cop to pro bike coach, my insurance (which to be fair does include working on track) has gone from about £180 pa to £1k !!! :eek:

Having changed my occupation from cop to pro bike coach, my insurance (which to be fair does include working on track) has gone from about £180 pa to £1k !!! :eek:

Had similar, went from being a cop to being retired and they tried to double my premium, told them to put retired police officer down as my occupation and it went back to the original figure

Lots of yada yada, but the fact remains, zero refund after only 6 months is wrong, even though the amounts involved aren't huge, and a £55 cancellation fee is ludicrous.

I cancelled an empty property policy after I sold the house, and the refund was exactly pro-rata of the annual premium for the remaining policy time.

Did I read the cancellation terms at the POS - of course not - in reality, except for the Sheldons out there, who does?

If a £55 cancellation fee is "ludicrous" why did you agree to it when you took out the policy?. Ah yes, because you didn't read the T&C's on the basis that very few buyers do.

You're correct - out of interest, without sneaking out to have a gander, what's your cancellation charge at 6 months - off the top of your head now, no peeking...

Still £1k less than mine...

Having said that, I now have a garage (3 actually) and expect next years quote to be a bit less.

You're correct - out of interest, without sneaking out to have a gander, what's your cancellation charge at 6 months - off the top of your head now, no peeking...

No idea, but I do know that I checked it before I took the policy out & was happy with the T&C's

My cancellation terms? Pro-rata and no service fee. Similarly, no mid-term alteration charges. There again, I don’t pay £250 a year and I don’t transact it thro’ the chimps at Devitt.

Lots of yada yada, but the fact remains, zero refund after only 6 months is wrong, even though the amounts involved aren't huge, and a £55 cancellation fee is ludicrous.

Take it up with Devitt and / or the insurance ombudsman, as moaning here wins you nothing by way of restitution.

As to the chimps’ charges? I too think they are inequitable.

I am guessing but you might be better off seeking a ‘Business policy’, if you run your work with Rapid thro’ a business? Your bike / van might then only be insured for their book value but who really cares.

Back
Top Bottom