R1150GS ABS II Fault

Hi gents, just arrived at the party. I too have issue's with abs light flashing. Have fitted a new battery, but still persists. It's a one owner, 2004, normally on start up abs light comes on, and when you start moving it goes out. But now it doesn't go out and the warning light flashes everytime you use the front brake, and then stays on after about 3mins. Your thoughts please gents and any solutions would very grateful. Cheers Steve.

Unfortunately being a 2004 bike I understand that it will have the later servo assisted iABS system not the ABS 2 that is only the early bikes like mine. I’m sure the guys who have helped me will have knowledge of it also but it may be helpful to you to search for a thread specifically about that system also.

Hi gents, just arrived at the party. I too have issue's with abs light flashing. Have fitted a new battery, but still persists. It's a one owner, 2004, normally on start up abs light comes on, and when you start moving it goes out. But now it doesn't go out and the warning light flashes everytime you use the front brake, and then stays on after about 3mins. Your thoughts please gents and any solutions would very grateful. Cheers Steve.

Check the rear brake light bulb. The servo abs has a safety feature where both stop and brake light work through one filament if the other fails so you’re never without a brake and stop light. A warning light coming on is to alert you one has failed.

If you have tadpole shaped Sparkplug covers?? Rather than the long black ones all the way from front to back of the rocker cover ?

Its pretty sure you have Integral or Better known as Servo ABS You may have worn pads which drops the fluid level when you brake??

Please be aware there are 4 seperate circuits on this form of ABS you cannot bleed at the calliper and fill at the master cylinder

To be absolutely sure you need the codes read! But early versions had a small front reservoir (same size as rear for single disc and just 2 much smaller brake pistons)

It was made much larger for later evolutions

Wow, cheers gents for your thoughts, will check them out tomorrow and report back:thumb

Evening gents, quick update. Brake light is working fine, yep tadpole plug covers, pads are good, and has the large master cylinder. Think going to get her plugged in as I'm a bit out of my depth with this, looking under the tank there's brake pipes everywhere so think I'll get bm to do there bit. Many thanks for the responses. Cheers Steve

Evening gents, quick update. Brake light is working fine, yep tadpole plug covers, pads are good, and has the large master cylinder. Think going to get her plugged in as I'm a bit out of my depth with this, looking under the tank there's brake pipes everywhere so think I'll get bm to do there bit. Many thanks for the responses. Cheers Steve

The fact it 'lights up' can be deceptive. Don't just check that it lights up, it is wired to use the ordinary filament as a brake light if the filament breaks as a safety feature. Take the bulb out and look closely at the filaments, if you haven't done so.

Just a quick update from my end (I know it has been a while) I have rewired the ABS as was detailed by @DrFarkoff. I now get both lights flashing in unison both before and after starting the engine. I have not managed to test ride the bike yet due to the weather but I have pushed it at jogging speed through the garage and I get a noise from the ABS and both lights go out so this is looking promising to have resolved my issue.

Managed to get the bike out for a test ride today, the ABS again engaged correctly and I have had it function on both the front and rear brakes so it would seem, for now at least, that everything is back to working as it should. Many thanks to all of you who helped out with suggestions. This has been a very positive welcome to this forum.

Managed to get the bike out for a test ride today, the ABS again engaged correctly and I have had it function on both the front and rear brakes so it would seem, for now at least, that everything is back to working as it should. Many thanks to all of you who helped out with suggestions. This has been a very positive welcome to this forum.

Glad to help some one out :thumb

Pay It Forward

Nice one laser, great result. I got mine plugged in yesterday, earliest appointment, and come back with pump is mullered, gave me a price of e1800 to replace. Yeah right. Think I'll be taking the pump off instead.
There's been a couple threads on how to do this, which is the easiest, straightforward way.? Anyone?

Nice one laser, great result. I got mine plugged in yesterday, earliest appointment, and come back with pump is mullered, gave me a price of e1800 to replace. Yeah right. Think I'll be taking the pump off instead.
There's been a couple threads on how to do this, which is the easiest, straightforward way.? Anyone?

this may help Not my idea originally I just happened to have a means of taking photos to help folks understand

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-IABS-system?p=5007032&viewfull=1#post5007032

That's brilliant drfarkoff, thank you very much for taking the time and posting that. Owe you a pint, cheers Steve.

Sorry for being a bit dense on this- which green wire is supposed to be run to the relay? I am having a strange problem as well. I have a 2000 R1150GS with ABS 2. I just tried installing a ST-2 brake module, (most likely culprit). I turned the ignition key on, got the normal 2 lights flashing in unison. Started the engine, still flashing in unison. As I rolled forward, the check failed and got alternating lights. Now when I turn the key, the lights immediately start flashing alternating. The battery was a bit on the older side and I had ordered one before the problem started, so I did install it, but nothing changed. The sensor gaps are good. My bike does not have an ABS button, so I am not sure how to reset the fault lights.
Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

My bike does not have an ABS button, so I am not sure how to reset the fault lights.

IT should have an ABS button

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Undo everything and put it back to standard and see if the fault goes away ??

If it does? Then throw the Brake modulator in the bin!

Ok, it's a 2000 US model R1150GS, there is NO ABS button. I did some more searching on the net, I found a good write up on how to do a reset on the bikes without the ABS button. ( the same writeup that is linked in the last post )I had to take apart the connector going into the control unit, reconnect it while apart and jump pin 21 to ground while the diagnostic plug pin is jumped to ground. The author of the post suggested adding some kind of button for future use. Anyways, short story long, it worked to reset the lights. I put everything back together without the ST-2, and was back to working perfectly well with no faults.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom