R1150GS ABS II Fault

laser2211

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought my first GS a 2000 R1150 and it has developed a fault with the abs.

Upon turning on the ignition I get the top abs light solidly illuminated then upon starting they begin to flash alternately, if the abs button is pressed at this point the bottom abs light illuminates solidly which I believe indicate the system is deactivated.

I have tried a reset with pin 2 to earth and this has not had any noticeable effect.

I have read many other posts on this subject however I have failed to find anyone who mentions a soldily illuminated abs light.

Any input would be much appriciated.

Battery voltage

Not a bad shout, it needs a good strong battery at start-up to power up the ABS. Try giving a good run for a few minutes then briefly stop and restart and see if that helps. Did you earth directly to the battery?

The OP has the earlier ABS, not servo abs... The earth wire you’re using when trying to reset must be earthed/held against the battery earth.... there is also a relay which can cause the system to register a fault, it’s hidden in the modulator under the plastic cover where the electrics are located. The cover can be removed by ‘popping’ the bottom and sliding it off

The abs reset switch can, and frequently does, get corrosion inside and stops working. In which case the reset doesn't work.

To check that the switch is still working the abs lights should stop flashing when you press it.

Thanks both for the input on battery health, I currently have it on charge so will report back tomorrow if that has made any difference. It was new a year ago, put on by the previous owner but I do not recognise the brand so it could well be causing the issue.

That is interesting about the earth for the reset having to be the battery also, I just used the frame so I will be sure to try that again.

The abs button does stop the lights flashing so I am reasonably confident that is not the problem.

I also forgot to mention that I have tested the system with an led test light and got the 7 flash failure.

Should you need a perfectly working ABS 2 Unit, I have one plus all the pipe work should you need any. :beerjug:

Thanks both for the input on battery health, I currently have it on charge so will report back tomorrow if that has made any difference. It was new a year ago, put on by the previous owner but I do not recognise the brand so it could well be causing the issue.

If the battery is failing under load charging it won't necessarily make a big difference. It might but don't rule out the battery just 'cos its been charged.

Ok thanks, I will see what the results are. I also have a battery booster which I guess if used in conjunction would give a better indication of the battery is failing under load if that helps the issue.

As predicted charging the battery alone did not help. I will try tomorrow with it aided by the battery booster.

Is it correct that upon turning the key the only abs light to ever show is the top one and it is on solid (as pictured), from what I have read it seems they should flash in unison or am I misunderstanding? Upon firing the engine the lights begin to flash alternately signaling the error.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0HAuA1JLG8rM9Z6Nms5_7IcUA

Okay I suspect your ABS has been modified the American way !

You switch on and you get just one ABS lamp ?

Once started you get two flashing alternately ?

Check in your fuse / relay box you may find a non standard 12V relay linked to the Alternator blue wire and the Green wire from Pin 15 on the ABS connector

If I recall correctly Code 7 is usually a naffed unit to be honest !

EDIT !!! On the side of the ABS Unit where the wires disappear under the plastic cover (IT should slide up and off) check that the Relay in there is getting a battery +ve and ground connection! :rob)

"American way" as they use the mod posted uses the blue wire to the alternator to trip the relay

So when you switch on the unit is not powered up

Then once the engine is up and running, the Relay grounds through the alternator and connects the green pin 15 wire which reinitiates the ABS System

Problem with this method and why I use the Power shedding relay to trip the ABS is that you can't get a diagnosis without the engine running

My method, you switch on the ignition and you should get lights on and off together

Then once you press the Starter button, the Connection to Pin 15 is cut whilst the load is on (This is usually when the ABS senses a low voltage problem) and the ABS partially powers off

Once you release the starter button, at this stage, the motor is usually running and the ABS unit does its self check and with the alternator charging and engine running the lights should be blinking together and once you ride off they go out

It would appear on further inspection that it has been modified.

Yes when I switch on I only get one solid light.

Once the engine is started they flash alternately.

However there is not extra relay in the fusebox.

The only modification I can see is that one of the small green wires in the harness has been intercepted and then connected to the same connection on the alternator as the two small blue wires.

I have taken the cover off the ABS unit and it is getting 12v when the ignition is on.

EDIT!!

I have been reading more and it seems that there is a school of thought that the system can be modified in this way with the ABS connected directly to the alternator however there is some debate as to whether it is safe for the ABS unit. I would be interested to know opinions on this. Also with this modification I have seen that it is only possible to do an ABS reset with the engine running the same as when I tested with the fault light and so far I have only done the reset with the engine off so I will be trying another reset soon.

If you read what I have written!

Break the green wire through a relay

Power the relay from the LOAD terminal on the Load relief relay

Reconnect the alternator etc as per standard

Key on you get the ABS powered up ready to work or be tested

Press starter Load relief shuts everything off (Including the ABS now)

You will get one RED lamp whilst the button is pushed

Once you release the starter button (Likely with the engine running now) the system "Reboots" and does it's self tests

To cure your problem about needing the motor to run to diagnose the ABS

reconnect the green wires as per standard and break them away from the blue wire !

Sorry I was reading everything I just didn't understand it all.

I will get hold of a relay and set up as per your instructions, it seems to be a much better solution.

One question I have, you say take the power from the load terminal of the load relief relay, which of the connections on the relay are you calling the load terminal?

In the meantime I will return it to standard as you suggest at least to be able to reset and diagnose in the meantime.

Useful info from largiader.com
Code 7 is ABS Control Unit alas.
Yes, normally both lights flash in unison on ignition on.

I'm in the same boat now - persistent ABS error. After so many years of nothing more than low battery fault.
Thanks for the reminder of flashing LED output.
I have a sequence of four flashes repeated. I'm hoping that is Rear Sensor and not 16 - Failed Plunger
Is your sequence of 7 flashes repeated?

I need a GS911 or to take it to an indie for confirmation.

One question I have, you say take the power from the load terminal of the load relief relay, which of the connections on the relay are you calling the load terminal?

On the load relief relay you have a permanent power feed (Terminal 30)

And you have your switching circuit (Terminals 85 and 86) that energises the magnet and connects terminal 30 to the Load side of the relay

You want to break into that downstream Non live with ignition off wire (Normally it would be terminal 87) but I am not 100% sure with this particular relay

Hopefully that gibberish makes sense :aidan

IF not just say so and I will go dig out a wiring diagram

I have a sequence of four flashes repeated. I'm hoping that is Rear Sensor

Yes they cycle in batches 4 flashes repeated If it was for the plunger it would repeat 16 flashes

easy way to check if you have a pal with the similar bike of a similar year?? You can use basically any ABS 2 system to connect together e.g. I have used an R1100RS plugged across to an R1150GS to check a sensor before

(Integral ABS sensors will not plug into ABS II bikes )

Park your bikes rear brake calliper to rear brake calliper and lift off saddles and trace your ABS connections (DO not switch on their bike !!! or you will have a logged rear wheel sensor that has to be cleared )

Plug the known good bike into your bikes loom and double check the connection Be gentle with the wires they are usually 15 to 20 years old now !

Switch on your bike and clear the fault Switch off and switch on again

If the fault is clear? Switch off remove the other bikes sensor wire and carefully refit the own bikes sensor and switch on if the fault reappears you have your answer

Refit the ABS sensor back into the other bikes loom before switching it on :rob :rob :rob

On the load relief relay you have a permanent power feed (Terminal 30)

And you have your switching circuit (Terminals 85 and 86) that energises the magnet and connects terminal 30 to the Load side of the relay

You want to break into that downstream Non live with ignition off wire (Normally it would be terminal 87) but I am not 100% sure with this particular relay

Hopefully that gibberish makes sense :aidan

IF not just say so and I will go dig out a wiring diagram

That is perfect, thanks for the explanation.

I will aim to get this wired up in the next couple of days.

If I get lost again I will be be in touch.

Should you need a perfectly working ABS 2 Unit, I have one plus all the pipe work should you need any. :beerjug:

This could be what I need by the sounds of it. Could you let me know how much you are looking for for it?

Yes they cycle in batches 4 flashes repeated If it was for the plunger it would repeat 16 flashes

easy way to check if you have a pal with the similar bike of a similar year?? You can use basically any ABS 2 system to connect together e.g. I have used an R1100RS plugged across to an R1150GS to check a sensor before

(Integral ABS sensors will not plug into ABS II bikes )

Thanks for confirmation. It's a load relief for me.
I was thinking about which friend's bike might assist and hit upon that idea that a piggy-back test connection might work.
Alas both friends have integral ABS. And their rear sensors serve only as oil seal plugs; both servos amputated.

Good luck @laser2211 with your repair.

Hi gents, just arrived at the party. I too have issue's with abs light flashing. Have fitted a new battery, but still persists. It's a one owner, 2004, normally on start up abs light comes on, and when you start moving it goes out. But now it doesn't go out and the warning light flashes everytime you use the front brake, and then stays on after about 3mins. Your thoughts please gents and any solutions would very grateful. Cheers Steve.

Back
Top Bottom