Seat ergonomics

BigKev67

Reaction score
So after 50 years of riding and many bikes I have had a new 1250 GSA for 3 weeks. I am 6 foot 5, 15 stone. I have a Rally High seat and the normal two piece heated seat.
I have messed with lowered pegs, with and without rubbers, swopped seats over. Tried high/ high and high front low back on the two piece seat. Tried up and back risers, and up only risers.
No matter what i do I seem to end up uncomfortable after a while around the nuts area. its as though my nuts are being sat on after a while.
Then yesterday I took my Honda 250 Rally out. This is a tall bike and the thing I immediately noticed was the pegs were further forward and my feet felt higher than the GSA. With feet higher and my knees higher one may expect it to be less comfortable but It just felt so comfortable. As though my nuts had been set free.
So why was this, well its interesting and I think the following explains why I am struggling with the GSA.
I believe what is critical for me and I suspect others is thigh angle.
As the knee is lowered due to higher seat or lowered pegs the thigh points down more and comes into contact with the seat. This restricts nut mobility and generally gives a squashed feeling in the seat area.
To test my new theory I was out on the GSA today and tried raising my feet with tiptoes on pegs - instantly felt better in the seating area.
So Horizontal thighs for me is now the holy grail for nut freedom.

I have a similar complaint.
I got the adjustable pegs as I was getting cramps in my knees. I only had to lower the pegs slightly to remove the cramp.

However that causes a problem with the family jewels. Setting the two piece seat to low-low fixes that. This setting is great around town but I feel it in my knees after an hour or so out of town.

I think I have realised (eventually) that high seats on bikes just dont work. If you are tall you already have a body that towers over the bike, a tall seat makes that worse. My Africa Twin had a a seat heat of 920mm. As I am tall I thought great, thats for me. All it does is give you issues with the bars , screen, and your back. Keep your bum 'in' the bike and play with bars and pegs.
The rotation of the hips is also an important factor I think. Having your thighs angled down affects how you sit. So often we hear folks say a seat is not comfortable and I wonder if its the hip and thigh position thats the issue.
Just my thoughts, position is personal and I am sure many will think I am talking crap.

Back
Top Bottom