Honda consumables and spares.

Big Si

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there anywhere other than the local dealer to source parts and accessories/consumables etc. for Honda Bikes?

Like a feckwit, I rode for half a mile with the parking brake on the mighty Goldwing.......pads are now fecked and need replacing :blast, I expect you have to replace the caliper bolts as well, as no doubt they are made from cheese and only bear the one tightening :rolleyes:

After becoming an owner, I also discovered that the Honda engineers came up with an air filter and then built the whole bike around it :rolleyes: Well I'm buggered if it comes to service time and I'm going to pay some chimp to disassemble and then reassemble some plastic panels for 5 hours. :mad:

BMW Motorrad has Motorworks, Nippy Normans etc, Harley has ARH, HogParts, Jersey HD etc etc........Who does Honda have in the UK?:nenau

I struggled when I was rebuilding my XRV. Dealer network only, really, with DavidSilver, Ling's and Fowlers [and others] with web presence, and my local Honda dealer for pop-ins.

Yes, there is ruggedroads for XRV parts, but I found their prices higher than dealers. Before Brexit, nutjob.ie had good prices, particularly when they had coupons and CMSNL have very good prices, but the postage is a killer, unless you are ordering a large amount of parts... Some dealers also sell on ebay.

Good luck.

I struggled when I was rebuilding my XRV. Dealer network only, really, with DavidSilver, Ling's and Fowlers [and others] with web presence, and my local Honda dealer for pop-ins.

Yes, there is ruggedroads for XRV parts, but I found their prices higher than dealers. Before Brexit, nutjob.ie had good prices, particularly when they had coupons and CMSNL have very good prices, but the postage is a killer, unless you are ordering a large amount of parts... Some dealers also sell on ebay.

Good luck.

Thanks both although Fowler's never seem to have stock of anything.:nenau and David Silver doesn't seem to cater for anything younger than 2005?

May still be worth trying Nutjob.ie, then. Just checked my mailbox and they sent me the 15% off code. ( SPRING15 - Valid until June 30th.)

Some of the Irish brethren on this site may be able to give us pointers of how does commerce work with Ireland post Brexit

Nutjob were ok, their website is infuriating but occasionally prices are much better then what I was able to find locally. Once you go through the fiche on Lings or Fowlers and get the part numbers, it is easier...

Interesting

I bought an x-adv with 500 miles on it. Dealer Demo bike. Parking brake totally non operational. Somebody had already done that on it. I just adjsuted the brake to compensate for wear and it is now ok.
However, why it is not linked into the sidestand circuit to prevent bike being drivern off with brake engaged is a mystery.
Stupidity on Honda's part.

I needed a fuel pressure regulator for my FireBlade. With delivery, the cheapest UK price I could find for a genuine Honda item was getting on for £180. CMSNL did the same item at about Euro 135 delivered. I got one from the States for under £70 and with the postage and import duty it cost less than £100.

Depending on how quickly you need the bits, the States could be an option. I used eBay, and a few sellers had the regulator.

The parking brake on a Crosstourer uses a very basic scooter pad . The genuine Honda is a fortune to buy but that pad fits a number of different scooters , non Honda included, and is therefore readily available from EBC at less than half the cost of the genuine item. I’m sorry I can’t remember which pad it is but I would imagine it’s same as theWing / X Adv. You could try asking in the CT forum , surely there is a very good Wing forum?

Many years we were looking at the part fiches in my local Honda dealer

Parts were cheap - consumables extortionate ...

Thats where they make the momey

Other than that how are you getting on wth the wing ?

Put it this way....it's Sunday and raining and I'm pissed off i'm not riding it! It's an incredible machine in many, many ways. The engine is silky smooth but with plenty of poke, especially in mad bastard sport mode...I'm sure Honda Racing sneaked in to the labs one night when they were developing the bike and tweaked something there...it is really borderline savage!:eek: The handling is sublime, even without the esa on the B version (non tour). The double wishbone front suspension is a revelation.

The dct transmission is also soooo smooth. It is however, a little noisy, mostly on change down cruising up to lights/junctions etc. I'm going to re initialise the dct tomorrow as I have caught it out once or twice...sometimes on a flat throttle at say 50-60mph, after an overtake, it takes it's time changing up to 6th and 7th. You can bump it up a gear or 2 manually as you know, but a re-initialise won't hurt. Other than that, the dct is very intuitive and it's almost like it "learns" your style of riding (if indeed, I have a style).:rolleyes: The reverse and forward creep facility are a real boon and I use them all the time, reversing into my garage up a slope etc., really really useful with a bike this heavy.:thumb2

I had to buy an aftermarket screen (Givi) as the oem screen fitted to the bagger was giving me buffeting ( I'm 6') even on it's highest setting. (The oem screen on the non tour is 4" shorter than the tour version's) The Givi is a little too tall really (7" taller than oem Bagger one), it fixes the problem but i am on the lookout for another screen that is in between the 2. (Possibly a Puig:nenau)

The lack of spares and accessories in the UK is a bit of a pain, I object on principle to paying tax and duty from the U.S,, but have done already on a few items. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of plastic on them, which coming from HD, takes a little getting used to (but essential for weight saving) and as I said earlier....whose feckin' idea was it to bury the air filter so deep?? A cartridge system accessible from further out from the depths of the bike would have saved an awful lot of plastic panel detachment and time.

I had ordered a Ciro highway peg set up from WingStuff in the States but cancelled them as I find the bike really comfortable as stock (even with my knees!) The seat is also comfy for hours for me which is lucky as Honda and aftermarket comfort seats are eye wateringly expensive.

I have yet to tackle the sat nav and audio systems which seem to divide various owners judging by youtube and forums. I like the idea of apple car play, so that's the next job!

All in all, I love it....How about you?:nenau

The parking brake on a Crosstourer uses a very basic scooter pad . The genuine Honda is a fortune to buy but that pad fits a number of different scooters , non Honda included, and is therefore readily available from EBC at less than half the cost of the genuine item. I’m sorry I can’t remember which pad it is but I would imagine it’s same as theWing / X Adv. You could try asking in the CT forum , surely there is a very good Wing forum?

I bought a set of Goldfren S33 for £17 delivered :) compared with Honda oem for £47 plus postage:eek:
(After all they only hold the bike on a slope, they're not stopping you from speed). :nenau

Parking Brake ... Hmmmm , I would just have left it alone and not used it (like I do now) . As for renewing caliper bolts - err no (discussed lots of times on GL1800 USA forum - worth joining up , free). Air filter - DIY , not difficult , just takes time. Knowing how the plastics come apart is the key - buy Freds DVD's (that will make sense if you go on the forum)

I bought an x-adv with 500 miles on it. Dealer Demo bike. Parking brake totally non operational. Somebody had already done that on it. I just adjsuted the brake to compensate for wear and it is now ok.
However, why it is not linked into the sidestand circuit to prevent bike being drivern off with brake engaged is a mystery.
Stupidity on Honda's part.

My CT has a red warning light / trainable to show you the brake is on when you turn on the ignition…… it’s easily ignored :blast

Parking Brake ... Hmmmm , I would just have left it alone and not used it (like I do now) . As for renewing caliper bolts - err no (discussed lots of times on GL1800 USA forum - worth joining up , free). Air filter - DIY , not difficult , just takes time. Knowing how the plastics come apart is the key - buy Freds DVD's (that will make sense if you go on the forum)

I was parked on a downward slope facing forwards.....that's what it's for. My fault for riding off and not seeing the (very small) warning light....apparently a lot of owners have done it.
Caliper bolts....yes I now know I don't need to replace them, I use "CruiserMan's Garage", he says that the manual says to replace them but no one does.
Ref. plastic parts, again I have bought CruiserMans videos, they point out all the plastic pin clip locations. Apologies if I have bored you.:rolleyes:

Still struggling with getting tyres?

Back
Top Bottom