Coolant

BigKev67

Reaction score
The coolant level on my 1250 GSA is on the min mark. I have a bottle of 50/50 coolant that I bought for my Africa Twin, its blue.
Is there anything special about the BMW coolant or will the Honda stuff be OK to top up with

Attachments

• IMG-20210620-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210620-WA0002.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 391
Couple ML distilled water is ok if not to low, coolant in bike is same as BMW car p/n 82 14 2 209 769 that must be diluted with distilled water

Leave it alone. Your coolant level is correct. Mention it when you take it in for its 600 mile service. They’ll tell you to leave it alone too.
Alan R

Leave it alone. Your coolant level is correct. Mention it when you take it in for its 600 mile service. They’ll tell you to leave it alone too.
Alan R

Actually its just come back from its 600 mile service and they havnt added any coolant. Was on the min mark when I took it in. I thought they had missed it. How come minimum is OK ?

Expands when it gets hot?

Expands when it gets hot?

I know that it expands. The marks on the reservoir are the cold engine levels surely.
This is how the system works:
The overflow reservoir is open to atmosphere. The rad cap is a clever device, it has two seals with the interspace connected to overflow reservoir. It also has two valves, a rad pressure relief and vacuum relief.
Engine warms up - rad coolant expands, pressure rises, rad cap lifts and burps some fluid into cap interspace and hence reservoir. Reservoir level rises.
Engine cools - a second valve in the rad cap opens as vacuum forms in rad, rad sucks back some coolant from reservoir. reservoir level falls.

I know that it expands. The marks on the reservoir are the cold engine levels surely.
This is how the system works:
The overflow reservoir is open to atmosphere. The rad cap is a clever device, it has two seals with the interspace connected to overflow reservoir. It also has two valves, a rad pressure relief and vacuum relief.
Engine warms up - rad coolant expands, pressure rises, rad cap lifts and burps some fluid into cap interspace and hence reservoir. Reservoir level rises.
Engine cools - a second valve in the rad cap opens as vacuum forms in rad, rad sucks back some coolant from reservoir. reservoir level falls.

Sounds like you have it sussed.

Mine’s on the max mark with the engine cold and the bike on the center stand

Your Honda coolant will be fine if you want to top your system up

Mine also max mark on centre stand, I did see last service they put new coolant in or topped up.

The coolant level on my 1250 GSA is on the min mark. I have a bottle of 50/50 coolant that I bought for my Africa Twin, its blue.
Is there anything special about the BMW coolant or will the Honda stuff be OK to top up with

To answer your question:
No, there is nothing special to the BMW coolant. Just make sure you refill with coolant with the same color as what is already in there.

I seem to recall that the LC engine is using a blue color fluid. Thus, the blue coolant labeled Honda will do just fine ;)

Mine was midway between the cold min level and the mid point on my expansion bottle when it went in for some warranty work

it was mentioned as being slightly low & topped up to the midpoint foc by the dealer ;)

Now that's really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons :D:D

Mine was midway between the cold min level and the mid point on my expansion bottle when it went in for some warranty work

it was mentioned as being slightly low & topped up to the midpoint foc by the dealer ;)

Now that's really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons :D:D

Some are more kind and give more. :beerjug:

Ye gods man ! what on earth are you thinking....

Its not just coolant, it's BMW coolant, hand pumped in the Bavarian Mining Works - it's the elixir of life it'self

You do realise that by adding inferior coolant you will destroy the magical properties of the BMW coolant , thus voiding your warranty, and damming you, your family and future generations to come, into the wilderness.

The fact that you even mentioned it on an open forum ....... and i had such high hopes for you :blast ;)

Ye gods man ! what on earth are you thinking....

Its not just coolant, it's BMW coolant, hand pumped in the Bavarian Mining Works - it's the elixir of life it'self

You do realise that by adding inferior coolant you will destroy the magical properties of the BMW coolant , thus voiding your warranty, and damming you, your family and future generations to come, into the wilderness.

The fact that you even mentioned it on an open forum ....... and i had such high hopes for you :blast ;)

Too late. The potion has been added. The genie is released. Run for the hills.

Back
Top Bottom