Best way to determine shock failure

sbridgens

Reaction score
Hi, All I am new here and this is my first post.

The question(s) I have is relating to the rear ESA shock on a 2010 R1200GS.

1: Can a bad shock affect cornering? the reason I ask this I am new to the BMW GS style of bike and noticed a few times where the backend felt loose on a corner causing traction to kick in..
2: Ride out yesterday with the Wife as pillion, a particular road cause x2 occasions where the suspension bottomed out and the remainder of the terrible road felt like being on a boat? the ESA was set to x2 pillion and Normal.

Be great to understand what I need to look at and how I can determine if a shock is at fault here and if so and recommendations for shocks or reconditioning if its required?

Many thanks

Yeah I know sorry head was thinking of what to say hence the typo :beerjug: updated

No problem, to check your shock action, bounce the rear of the bike, up and down and see how quickly it goes down and returns, if it's fast and springy............then there is a lack of damping

Thanks just set it to single rider and bounced the rear end, it was bouncing around with zero effort; darn new shock in order then...

You have more options than a straight replacement.

Non OEM like Wilbers, ohlins, Touratech and I think a couple of others. All pricey but Wilbers cheaper than the rest including a BMW replacement. You buy a shock and swap out the esa bits with Wilbers. All probably a step up at least in performance.

Get the standard worn out shock refurbed. There’s a couple of places plus a guy on here -Denzo?? - who refurb for a lot lot less money than a new one.

Secondhand. They come up from time to time. But probably best to refurb before using.

I had Wilbers put on my gsa. Fan-bloody-tastic once they had ‘run-in’.

Dont buy a new one!!!!

Get it rebuilt, firefox racing in shipley or i think dens0 on here did them

Thanks, Austin heard a lot about Wilbers, I think they are about 5-700 quid from what i saw i have about 300 atm so may have to get mine refurbed.

The stock esa shocks have usually seen there best by 30k miles.
I can vouch for Dens0 ( Luke) on this forum, he has rebuilt a few shocks for me, you will need to subscribe to the forum to be able to PM him.
See here...... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/504259-rear-shock-fefurbishment?highlight=Dens0

Dens0 did mine and Upgraded the Spring at the same time, the difference is nothing short of phenomenal.
Can't recall the exact Cost but it didn't make me Spit, and that's saying something for me!!!

Dens0 did mine and Upgraded the Spring at the same time, the difference is nothing short of phenomenal.
Can't recall the exact Cost but it didn't make me Spit, and that's saying something for me!!!

Thanks, I contacted Luke and due to a business trip on Tuesday where I need the bike I will have to wait until my return before I can remove the shock and send it to him for repair, will deffo be upgrading the spring also, i also had to order 2 new exhaust bands as i doubt i will get the originals off without a hack and slash

just had new springs and serviced both of my ESA shocks by Denso. Both were faulty Front leaking and rear had a bit that was seized. Much better for reasonable Money................

Denz0 has now sent me back a refurbished shock, trying to fit at the moment and finding the lower part of the shock will not go back in, really tight even with a tap with a wood mallet on the bottom has not helped, any ideas?

As stated the bush will need to be pulled out ,it can be a very tight fit so you may need to put a bolt through the bush and a nut and washer on the inside, you will also need a large washer and rubber cushion to go behind the bolt head to avoid damaging the paint.

Back
Top Bottom