GS to RS

bristolsaint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering trading my 2013 gs for a 1250rs. I'm finding the height of the gs a problem, as evidenced by my 0 mph involuntary dismount last month on my very slopey drive. I have been thinking about this for a while now and the spill has accelerated the thinking.

Has anyone made this change and, if so, how did you get on? Has anyone considered it and decided not to? If so, what were your reasons?

I never ride off road and have my 790 Duke now for local riding so this would be more of a touring/distance riding toy. I don't need the all-round ability of the gs any more.

Thanks in advance.

I've test ridden both the 1200 and 1250 RS. Ultimately I preferred the comfort, better visibility and as I ride on a lot of B and unclassified roads the way the telelever deals with the poor bumpy surfaces. I'm only 5'7" and found the stretch to the bars meant I was leaning forward quite a bit, which in turn made looking behind me more difficult and with the mirrors being further away than on the GS the field of vision wasn't as good either. It's a great bike though and worth a test ride to help you decide if it's for you or not. As a curve ball why not consider a factory lowered GS as the seat height is 50mm lower than a standard GS at 800mm

I'm not interested in lowering the gs, thanks. Good idea, but not for me. I know there are lots of riders way shorter than me who ride a gs too. Maybe it's just time for a change. Big adventure bikes are starting to bore me. I am also aware that there are many other options for me, but I am particularly interested in the rs.

Fallen off/ dropped the GS 3 times now

Each time i think "Twat" pick it up and climb back on ..

would i change it for a different bike - No

The only reason i have to change it at the moment is seat comfort - and even then the bike i would consider changing it for is way heavier lol

As soon as i can find someone who can do a local face to face meet to discuss modding my std low seat, that issue should be solved too

Mate of mine went the other way, RS>GS

Loved the RS but painful riding position for his "footballer" knees & the GS position more relaxed for the older/less agile gent

I’ve had several GS’s and GSA’s and am currently on the 1250RS.
I’ve lowered the footrests to accommodate a knee replacement and bar risers for a more relaxed ride.I have an unused Wunderlich handle bar conversion I’m still debating whether to fit or not. I replaced the screen with a previously enjoyed one as stock was too low for me.
I love the fact I am flatfoot on the ground, I think for me the RS is much perkier engine wise and I think it handles better.
I’ve done 10500 miles in 9 months and was thinking of going back to a GS, I rode one and will happily stay with the RS.
Having said that it is down to what floats your boat, go try one for an hour and see what it’s like for you.
Many will swear by the GS it’s your money you re spending.

I have had an R1200RS since 2016. Like Ian, I raised the bars to reduce the weight on my wrists a bit and lowered the pegs to ease my knees.

I have just got back from a weekend staying with a mate near Oswestry and then my brother in Welshpool. The ride through the Welsh Marches to get to Shropshire & Powys and an outing around Llangynog, Lake Vyrnwy and Dinas Mawddwy has reminded me how good a bike the RS is. Last time I did a weekend in the same area it was on a Triumph Explorer and I must say, I enjoyed the RS more in that terrain.

I have tried a number of GS bikes since 2016 but I have not been persuaded I have the wrong bike.

I'm not interested in lowering the gs, thanks. Good idea, but not for me. I know there are lots of riders way shorter than me who ride a gs too. Maybe it's just time for a change. Big adventure bikes are starting to bore me. I am also aware that there are many other options for me, but I am particularly interested in the rs.

Ok fair enough, it was just a suggestion in case it was solely the height. As the others have said if that's the type of bike you want it's well sorted and hard to beat especially on uk roads. Good luck:beerjug:

I made this change last year. I had a lowered 1250GS which I loved riding but found just to big (rather than heavy) at 5' 6" and 60 kg. The RS is completely standard as far as seat and riding position is concerned and I find it just fits me better. I also prefer the feel of the conventional forks, but that is a personal thing. I've done a few rides of several hours with no discomfort or pains afterwards so I'm very happy with the RS and would definitely recommend it if it fits you.

I made this change last year. I had a lowered 1250GS which I loved riding but found just to big (rather than heavy) at 5' 6" and 60 kg. The RS is completely standard as far as seat and riding position is concerned and I find it just fits me better. I also prefer the feel of the conventional forks, but that is a personal thing. I've done a few rides of several hours with no discomfort or pains afterwards so I'm very happy with the RS and would definitely recommend it if it fits you.

I'm substantially bigger at 6' and 100ish kg. It's the arthritic joints that lack strength when the thing starts to tilt that concern me. Also, as I said, I fancy a move away from a big adventure bike. I have a soft spot for sports/tourers and the RS fits the bill, if it fits me. I've got a test ride booked for Thursday and will make a decision then.

Well, I test rode it and was concerned that my left hip was "cramping" from the riding position. It took 2 days for the discomfort to stop. I won't be buying an RS. It's a pity, because there was a lot to like about it; engine, gearbox, tft screen.

Time for a rethink. I still fancy a sports/tourer. Perhaps a Ninja 1000SX :nenau Time to sort another test ride. There aren't too many options. Adventure bikes dominate the market, naked bikes have poor pillion perches and aren't so good for touring. Hey, ho.

I saw an article somewhere about Suzuki bringing a sports tourer based on the GSX S1000?

Use cycle-ergo.com to compare riding positions if you have not already done so.

The Yamaha Tracer 900 GT is not really an adventure bike......

This comment is 1150-specific rather than 1200 or 1250, but bear with me...

I recently rode Steptoe's loan bike, an R1150R. I was really surprised at just what a great all round package it was. It felt lighter than a GS, steered quicker, was lower, wasn't 'wristy' like an RS... it was just an all round really great bike to ride.

I commented that a lot of people putting sticky road tyres on their GSs might in fact be far better off with an R.

I would think that the ergonomics of a 1200 or 1250 R would be similarly comfortable - well worth a look, in my opinion.

While the riding position of the 1250R might be fine, it's not really a tourer, is it? I need something all day comfortable and capable of carrying the lovely Mrs Saint and I, plus luggage. I don't want another adventure bike or a full tourer like the RT. The choice is limited!

Many folk seem to like the Z1000SX.
And while it may be a bit long in the tooth the VStrom 1050 is also one to consider.

And while it may be a bit long in the tooth the VStrom 1050 is also one to consider.

Another "adventure" bike, which is exactly the style I'm trying to avoid. Good workhorse but a bit boring and not for me.

I'm waiting for the rain to stop and will try the Z1000SX

A brief ride on the Z1000SX told me all I needed to know. Pegs too high! Pain in my hips. Peach of an engine, especially having not ridden an inline 4 for some years, but no good for me. The search continues.

SuperDuke GT booked for Monday. Fowlers will let me have it for 3 hours, so should be a fun day. Fingers crossed. I tried one briefly when I bought my 790 Duke and it was too heavy. I will be testing it with different expectations this time.

I have wrist and knee issues so have messed around a bit trying to save money but have ultimately settled in Wunderlich foot peg lowered pegs and their handlebar conversion. Bike is now all day comfortable.
It does still bust my chops that you have to add these in to most bikes to tune for yourself. How many people would buy a car if you couldn’t move the seat to fit it?

Back
Top Bottom