Rear Shock question

Johnnydrama

Reaction score
Hey all

I have a 2012 gsa tc. It has esa and after 40k kms all going ok. Ive been offered a non esa brand new ohlins rear for a very good price.

My question is how is the electronics work when there is a non esa rear and esa front?

The advice will dictate the purchase.

Thanks
Wes

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hey all

I have a 2012 gsa tc. It has esa and after 40k kms all going ok. Ive been offered a non esa brand new ohlins rear for a very good price.

My question is how is the electronics work when there is a non esa rear and esa front?

The advice will dictate the purchase.

Thanks
Wes

Umm, pretty sure the ECU will decide there’s a fault and close the whole esa circuit down for both shocks.

I had a failure on the front preload motor on my 2011 gsa. The whole lot stopped working. I had to replace the motor to make any of it work again.

For a fraction of the cost you could have it fully overhauled and resprung to your weight. Denzo (Luke)at t-rech done mine. Couldn't believe the difference in performance.

Not sure how easy it is to get to it, but if you could unplug the ESA from the rear shock I bet you’d find out.

FWIW, I converted my 2012 ESA to non-ESA shocks front and back last year. I asked the same question you have, and was told it wouldn’t throw any code; and there was nothing I needed to do. That turned out to be correct. The button still ‘works’ - changes the different ESA modes every time I press it. But, of course, nothing happens.

Hello gents.
Just to clear things up and confirm
Disconnected ESA will not give any dashboard warnings however it will show fault code when connected to diagnostic equipment.
ESA can be easily switched off using the motoscann app. And there will be no fault code present.
Worth remembering GS rear shock comes with PDS (Visible on the picture below brown trace )if someone likes offroad.
Ohlins red trace
Blue- stock valving and all the shocks on a similar rebound setting.

Basic Ohlins shock is nice but it is not valved and sprung correctly it will be worst than stock.

A couple of shims changed on the stock suspension and the dyno curve looks identical so the performance should be identical?.
Ohlins uses smaller ports and smaller sealing shim than stock Showa or WP shock.
Compression sealing shim on OEM shock 40mm
Ohlins 38mm
Oil volume is identical.

I ride on Ohlins my self but I didn't have ESA in the first place.
I would think twice before removing it.
Piston band can also be changed to low friction like on Ohlins products.

I guess this is a personal choice...
9468c2eb96931d1c300e40e664ed3bcd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cheers folks, some excellent advice there.

Back
Top Bottom