Play in rear pulley soc

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This week got a new tyre installed on rear wheel of 2010 Ultra Classic and went through the procedure of reinstalling wheel.
Bit of a struggle on my own but, all seemed well. Belt deflection adjusted using gauge looked good and all tightened up 100ft/lbs.

Isolator rubber cleaned and pulley inserted. There was a bit of a gap and thought this would disappear when all torqued up. Did not look again.

Left the side bags off, put the beanie helmet on and went for a 100 mile ride to bed tyre in and see if all is well.

With panniers, rails and rubber mounted mufflers, there has always been rubbing noises. Especially with open lid. What I could hear clearly this time was rubbing accentuated as speed rose.
Drive belt is aligned with the two axle cams before tightening.

The videos I made are too large so, what I did see is about 3mm play to and fro on the pulley (wheel not moving) and still the gap between pulley and

Maybe the sound is normal and me being too worried.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Side to side …. Or forwards / backwards…

Mine has no movement …..

Side to side …. Or forwards / backwards…

Mine has no movement …..

Forward- backward movement. About 3mm before wheel moves with pulley. No sideways movement.
There is a small 1mm gap between pulley and wheel. I need to check again the rubber isolator why the gap. I don’t think there was any notch or something that the pulley engages on the wheel, just the gussets between the rubbers.

I thought pulley bearing failure maybe or the rubber Cush unseated somehow..

Took out the spindle and no marks on it to say broken bearing.
Wheel spins without notchiness so must be alignment even though spindle cams to measure belt tension the same either side. Spacer in correct position.

Back at it tomorrow.
Off to Scotland after the ABR festival so, May forego the festival to sort this out if need be. Still got two full days.

Patria o Muerte

Back
Top Bottom