Boots for the Adventurer

tanneman

Incomplete Arse
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Notice the capital A :D

The short list of what I would like to purchase based on how they fit and feel. Protection is important but must be comfortable as well. Touring and walking in the boots for 9-12 hours a day is very different than the 5 minutes fiddling with it in the shop. Longevity is important too. My trusty Gaerne boots lasted me approximately 5 years. The soles have been worn down (yes I know, Gaerne sells soles for the boots separately) and the tarmac has scraped away at the edges :D They were the optimum for comfort but sadly lacked any decent protection so thankfully that wasn't needed.

If the collective would be so kind as to provide their input into their experience with the various models and how they compare in regards to comfort, longevity, and quality. Off course I can read endless reviews on line and watch Rocky Mountain YouTube videos till the end of days but it doesn't tell me if the leather perishes, leaks or the seams pulls apart. I'm off tomorrow to go and try these mentioned boots on and see if they fit under my trouser legs. I know some can be bulky due to the shin protection and buckles.

The list has been narrowed down to;

Rev'it Expedition H2O - the most expensive but claims to be the best in comfort and protection.

Sidi Adventure 2 Gore-Tex - Everybody raves about these but in the past I have been at odds to get a Sidi to fit my feet. Misgivings are the lack of a upper buckle, the Sidi squeak but on the other hand there is a infill in the sole to prevent your pegs chewing at the sole. I do like the look of it, in brown please.

TCX Drifter - Tried these and the 44 is a spot on fit. Not sure the protection is up to scratch but it will make a very good and comfortable boot from the off I think. Sole looks a bit thin where the pegs would chew but it has underfoot support.

TCX Terrain 3 WP - not sure about these but I suspect the same fit as the Drifter. Was thinking about the Baja but would like a block tread sole.

Forma Adventure - Ride Magazine best adventure boot. It is cheap too but the shops near me don't stock the boots. Looks like it might be on its way out to be replaced by another.

Alpinestars Corozal Adventure Drystar - a mouthful but the replacement for the Toucan. Don't know what to think of it but it looks tough and given that I have found myself from time to time in a Tech10 and previously in a race boot from the same manufacturer I rate the brand and their boots.

The experience I have is with the Sidi Adventure 2. I was using Daytona Boots before I went on the GlobeBusters TransAmericas trip in 2018. There were at least five people on the trip using the Sidi Adventure 2’s, including team leader Julia Sanders. A couple of us had issues with them leaking but four months of not being cleaned except with a hose and then three days of torrential rain would make anything leak a bit. I got a pair after being advised that I needed more lower leg protection than the Daytona’s had. A proper clean when I got back and they were waterproof again. I have wide feet but take a size 7 shoe. Sidi’s can be a bit narrow but mine are actually a size 9 and fit very nicely. There is enough adjustability in the buckle straps to take up any slack and the protection is only bettered by mega expensive full on motocross boots. And they aren’t waterproof. Comfort wise I have worn these for some very long days riding and while walking around a show for five hours. The icing on this particular cake is that I bought mine in early 2018, did the five month 23,000 mile trip with GlobeBusters, and I am still using the same pair now. Very highly recommended.

Forma are never truly waterproof, if riding for hours in rain and surface water

Awaits the I have been in a heavy downpour etc etc etc which really means light rain to Starbucks and back

Forma are never truly waterproof, if riding for hours in rain and surface water

Awaits the I have been in a heavy downpour etc etc etc which really means light rain to Starbucks and back

Mine have been truly waterproof on a 400 mile day in torrential rain all the way back from the Mosel. Mind you, mine are the shorter Latino "streetish" boots rather than the Adventures. But I've put plenty of real world miles on them and no wet feet so far. And comfy as a pair of slippers too.

Mine have been truly waterproof on a 400 mile day in torrential rain all the way back from the Mosel. Mind you, mine are the shorter Latino "streetish" boots rather than the Adventures. But I've put plenty of real world miles on them and no wet feet so far. And comfy as a pair of slippers too.

This :agree

… I also have the Forma Adv lows and for the money I did think they might leak . 2 trips to not so sunny Scotland have proven otherwise :thumb

Alpinestars Corozal Adventure Drystar - I have the Belize (3/4 height version of the Corozal). 3 years old now, been delighted. Very sturdy. Sole excellent, great ankle support, super shin protection, stayed dry and comfortable throughout. Would not hesitate to buy again.

...having said that I reach for my Altberg Hoggs more frequently (but a different use case I appreciate)...

I have a vested interest in saving what's left of the bottom half of me so have always, regardless of type of bike, worn good quality MX boots. Protection and nothing else was the main consideration.

Then, when the Sidi Adv's first came out I bought a pair, primarily for a trip down south to a hot place. As my confidence in them grew I started to use them for all my riding. That pair that I bought in 2011 have now been used for trips to Tesco, green laning, the commute to work and have been ridden to and in three continents. They have been 100% waterproof, are comfortable enough IMO to walk around in and, again IMO, offer a decent level of protection.

With all that use and at 10 years old I passed them on to my son in law who is using them every day. I replaced them with another second hand pair I bought off here.

I honestly think they are the best boots I have ever owned.

Andres

The MX is too stiff Andres. You can barely feel a brake pedal or gear change, but wear it with a knee brace you think you can ride into anything and it won't hurt you.

The MX is too stiff Andres. You can barely feel a brake pedal or gear change, but wear it with a knee brace you think you can ride into anything and it won't hurt you.

Oh absolutely, although you do get used to them and I even used to ride sports bikes with them (must've looked a right twat though :D). I was just making the point that for me, protection is everything............and yet, over time I came to trust the Sidis from that point of view and have used them as my everyday boot since. The only time I wear my MX boots now is for proper gnarley off roading.

Andres

Andres

I've got the Sidi 2's, great boot and all day comfortable. Much higher waterproof level due to the changed bellows over the first model. They squeak. Cant remember the last time I wore them though since moving to the Tech 7's though so will be selling them on.
Got W2's - all day comfort. Don't squeak but not as waterproof ultimately. Toe box is big so great if you have wide feet - I don't.
Got A*'s Tech 7 Enduro's - very comfortable but not waterproof unless you buy the waterproof version BUT I use these where having a big hole in the top means you're getting wet anyway. Use waterproof socks with a compression sock.
Tech10's - as above but much less grippy.
Biggest thing to any of them is FIT!
None of them will be right unless they fit your feet.

After helping someone with a spiral fracture on a trail in Wales (he was wearing Sidi Adventures) I now mostly wear what many of the Dakar boys and girls use - Sidi Crossfires.

Something you might not think about is boot weight. Have a look at the different weights in this group as lighter = less fatigue but possibly a trade-off with protection.

Just to clarify, this is not for trail riding. Any off road shenanigans requires proper enduro/MX boots. Having had a broken ankle from rugby it is not a healing process I want to repeat. It has to cross over from touring as the better protection for road riding is what I'm after. One day it will happen again (crashing) but this time I want to be ready for it.

After helping someone with a spiral fracture on a trail in Wales (he was wearing Sidi Adventures) I now mostly wear what many of the Dakar boys and girls use - Sidi Crossfires.

Thats the other thing - irrespective of what's been said on here, the ORS guys usually will not let you wear the Adventures due to the lack of heavier protection.
Don't get me wrong - great boot but I wouldn't want to be in them if my foot was getting twisted or caught, etc.

From the list you've put up - I wouldn't use any of them if protection was towards or at the top of my list.
When on their own time and having ridden with them on numerous occasions, the majority of the ORS guys use full MX or enduro boots. The favourite being the Tech 7 Enduro followed by the tech10.
As G&T says - trade off between protection, weight and walking comfort.

You're right, it's all a compromise between all day comfort especially if walking around and protection.

I use Sidi Adventure in Iceland because I almost live in them for a month and they're waterproof when new but am very aware how little real protection they offer compared to my Crossfires.
A downside to the Sidi Adventure boots is when they get soaking wet, 1, they become soft like a pair of slippers giving even less protection and 2, they can take several days to dry out

On the other hand I wore Crossfires every day for 3 months riding around Mongolia etc. since protection from a broken ankle far outweighs a little discomfort and would never go offroading here in Uk or for example Morocco without them.

Everyone's choice :beerjug:

Sounds familiar dilemma !! I usually wear Daytona’s for regular use, but like you, wanted a pair of boots for the more ‘adventure’ type of trip, so have just taken the plunge and got a pair of the Revit H2O’s. Had to get my head round the price first !!

I’ve not worn them on the bike yet…just been wearing them round the house to break them in. Gotta say for a big ‘heavy’ looking boot, they very comfortable even after a couple of hours. Other things I’ve noticed so far…. They squeak, and the shin protectors are very big, which means getting them under trousers is something you need to carefully consider. They do feel very ‘secure’ and that they would offer a lot of protection in the event of a fall, whilst not being quite so rigid as true MX boots.

Hope that helps ! :beerjug:

Sounds familiar dilemma !! I usually wear Daytona’s for regular use, but like you, wanted a pair of boots for the more ‘adventure’ type of trip, so have just taken the plunge and got a pair of the Revit H2O’s. Had to get my head round the price first !!

I’ve not worn them on the bike yet…just been wearing them round the house to break them in. Gotta say for a big ‘heavy’ looking boot, they very comfortable even after a couple of hours. Other things I’ve noticed so far…. They squeak, and the shin protectors are very big, which means getting them under trousers is something you need to carefully consider. They do feel very ‘secure’ and that they would offer a lot of protection in the event of a fall, whilst not being quite so rigid as true MX boots.

Hope that helps ! :beerjug:

Did you not look at the Daytona adventure boot they now do?
Had forgotten to mention it earlier as an option.

daytona_boots-leather_trans-tourman-gore-tex_black.jpg

Kevin Sanders of GlobeBusters has a story of leading the London to Beijing trip when he clipped a rock with the toe of his boot. Which twisted his foot and broke his leg with a spiral fracture. He was wearing Sidi Crossfires. With that type of injury/fracture it doesn’t matter what boots you are wearing as it all happens Inside them.
Plus getting them off is a nightmare at a whole new level. Kevin described getting his boot off as ‘character building’, and he could probably be heard screaming throughout the Chinese hospital he was in.

Back
Top Bottom