R1250RT

Good bike choice for touring Doc, lighter, more nimble than a 1600 bagger. Will blast across the continent. Are you trading the Bagger and the GSA in for an RT? Think the RT will be my choice for next year, just waiting for all this Covid crap to leave us, so we can travel more confidently. I think I will be using Williams in Manchester to purchase

Good bike choice for touring Doc, lighter, more nimble than a 1600 bagger. Will blast across the continent. Are you trading the Bagger and the GSA in for an RT? Think the RT will be my choice for next year, just waiting for all this Covid crap to leave us, so we can travel more confidently. I think I will be using Williams in Manchester to purchase

Yes i am pal so i will just have the Harley for now. It was Jaynes choice to pick the RT over a few others. And with the Covid we were not using the GS and K for which we intended. And i doubt if she will ever get on the Harley again after injuring her back whilst out on it.

Now there is a story. Went in on the 14th of May with a SOS warning on the dash. Software update required. Software update completed same day, no fix. Contact BMW UK, no idea, Contact BMW Germany, not us, its owned by Traffic Master. Then no update from BMW Germany or Traffic Master for the last 5 weeks. Three calls to BMW customer service, sorry can't help, its technical!!. Last call to BMW customer services yesterday morning, basically told them they were BMW not much customer service. Then I phoned the dealer this afternoon, he said there has been a flurry of activity since yesterday morning from Germany and my bike is fixed - software fault!!! So nearly 6 weeks to fix a software fault. I will be speaking to BMW not much customer service when I've picked the bike up, to give them my views on 6 weeks to sort for a software fault :)

Thanks for the advices

Not a good outcome

Is SOS really necessary?

You could have rebuilt the engine 10x over in those 6 weeks

A bit late to this particular party but I've had a 2019 1250RT for the best part of a year. I liked almost everything about the bike. Great performance, handling (caveat to follow), braking, weather protection, two up comfort and pillion room, luggage capacity with top box fitted... But I just cant get on with that auto suspension.. Road setting too soft, dynamic too hard... I hated it. But that's with my 100kg on board. I'm about to go back to a GSA..

I'm also soon to advertise a full set of BM inner bags for all 3 boxes, a BM tank bag and front fender extender if of any interest...

Thanks for the advices

Not a good outcome

Is SOS really necessary?

You could have rebuilt the engine 10x over in those 6 weeks

Lets be honest, Nearly all the gizmos that come with bikes these days are not needed.

A bit late to this particular party but I've had a 2019 1250RT for the best part of a year. I liked almost everything about the bike. Great performance, handling (caveat to follow), braking, weather protection, two up comfort and pillion room, luggage capacity with top box fitted... But I just cant get on with that auto suspension.. Road setting too soft, dynamic too hard... I hated it. But that's with my 100kg on board. I'm about to go back to a GSA..

I'm also soon to advertise a full set of BM inner bags for all 3 boxes, a BM tank bag and front fender extender if of any interest...

Maybe the inner bags pal.

I've got an 2019 R1250RT -SE - bought from Williams Manchester last month. It's a great bike though had to have a new downpipes / cat / flappy valve last week due to the flappy valve sticking & throwing up fault codes.
Good job it's under warranty. How crazy to build the flappy valve into the downpipes & cat - it would have been well over £1k for the part if I'd had to pay.

Good bike but ...

The TFT/Connectivity is a major flaw it what is otherwise a brilliant bike, including the storage capacity. It beggars belief that BMW can release a product that has clearly not passed any reasonable quality assurance and after more than three years the Connected App is still chronically unreliable. The RT implementation is so bad (much worse than the GS) that on every trip you can not travel more than 10miles without either an App freeze or a wifi/bluetooth drop out. The only option is to stop, turn off the bike and reconnect, only for it to happen again soon after. In effect the navigation is more or less useless for any serious use. I am having to use a Garmin Zumo XT on what is a £20K+ sports tourer.

I certainly hope the rumoured September software release fixes the problem but I am not confident as we are now 3yrs+ in to BMW's connectivity experiment and we the customer are the guinea pigs.

I'm running with the 3.1.3 update status and still having a few issues.
Passed through Bristol yesterday and lost wifi connection twice and again later on in the day.

Strangely the music connection doesn't always transmit the music yet I can see the track progressing on the TFT screen.
If I initiate a phone call and then end the call the volume kicks in, I've done this several times and it's repeated the result.

First 2 months of the TFT usage and only minor issues mainly operator error but recently it's become a bit hit and miss.

I've reported the issues to connectedride@bmw.com so hopefully they'll come up with a more robust app.

Love the bike though.

There are certainly still issues - yesterday I went for a run to Crickhowell and back. I had the maps running but wasn't using them for navigation - helmet not even connected. After a lovely run over the Brecknocks I stopped in Crickhowell for petrol - about 15 minutes as there was a queue. Started up and all was fine - maps up and running so I started my return journey, retracing my route. After about 25 miles the maps just stopped and the TFT showed it was searching for the wifi connection. Bluetooth still on and direction arrow on screen. I pulled into a layby, took the phone out of the cubby and - as far as the phone was concerned it was still connected to the bike wifi - wtf? I was starting to overheat in the hot sun so I just stuck it back in the cubby and carried on. The maps never re-appeared on that ride. Had I been using it for nav I'm 99% sure the voice directions would have ceased after I stopped for petrol, as they invariably do after stopping and starting again.

6.5k on my 2019, new headers fitted today courtesy of the exhaust flap sticking and engine warning light on. Even greased the flap a month ago with some high temp grease as preventative maintenance, obviously a waste of time. SOS button warning is still coming on intermittently after the dealer having the bike for nearly 6 weeks to fix. They have raised a case with BMW - zzzzzzzz

Just need to ride it now. Not read any instructions yet do wanted to know if I need to have the Datatool fob with me when using the bike ? Never had it before.

Attachments

• 20210729_104708.jpg
    20210729_104708.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 608
  • 20210730_025356.jpg
    20210730_025356.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 587
I’d have thought so - interesting it comes with an aftermarket system???

Strange

Or is the bike pre owned?

I’d have thought so - interesting it comes with an aftermarket system???

Strange

Or is the bike pre owned?

Brand new pal. Something else I didn't ask for along with the sos. Unless it comes with the model I bought.

Brand new pal. Something else I didn't ask for along with the sos. Unless it comes with the model I bought.

Thought it was… must be something the dealer has done…

If it has no buttons it will need to be carried with you as it’s an immobiliser fob I assume

Thought it was… must be something the dealer has done…

If it has no buttons it will need to be carried with you as it’s an immobiliser fob I assume

No buttons pal. Maybe I should read the instructions. :D

Try and start the bike without it!!!

That will show you

Back
Top Bottom