R1250RT

They dont usually automatically update the tft unless you ask do they ? On my gs i had to ask them to update it.

If you explain to them it has issues they have always updated FOC.

I'm surprised that BMW are happy (if indeed they are) with M&P sharing the Motorrad showroom with KTM, RE, Benelli, Zontes, Piaggio and probably several others. They have a very restricted range of BMW clothing and accessories compared with other emporia I have visited, which I should also think would get up BMW's corporate nose.

Riders had a much better setup imo, with BMW downstairs and Ducati upstairs, both with a good range of clothing and accessories.

As a Capital city Cardiff is not well served by motorcycle dealers in general. Back in my yoof we had Hutchins Honda and BSA House on City Rd, Bevans Triumph next to the Angel (still going but on Hadfield Rd now), I'm sure Yamaha and Suzuki must have had outlets somewhere - as I recall one of them was out on Newport Rd/Rumney Hill?, Richards Racing (bought my first bike from them, a Bridgestone 175 Hurricane Scrambler) and another outfit on Whitchurch Rd whose name escapes me.

Yes, when I hear of an update (not from BMW !) I just ask them to do it, no hassle.

Hi Dave,

It's been a while!
Congrats on your retirement, It's very underated :).

It's a big bird but slow speed handling is brilliant.

I've still got my 2003 GS so it fills in when the RT needs a day off.

You won't be dissaponted with the RT.

:beerjug:

I have recently bought a 2018 R1250RT LE, 6500 miles on the clock, got it from Lloyd Motors in Carlisle. I had a little ride out last weekend, ended up being 250+ miles, no sore bum or legs, but I got a lot of buffeting from the screen no matter where I set it, I'm 6'2" with a long back and shorter legs 31". Any recommendations on a replacement screen, ideally below £200?

Not me, I'm on the TFT less 1250. I was just pointing out the threads on RT specific forums. Plus a mate has one and was talking yesterday about it keeps losing connection and he just ends up with the arrows rather than the map. Well in fact I'm not on the TFT less 1250 as my bike has been in the dealers since the 14th May with an SOS button fault, which nobody can fix.

A little late to this party but I had endless issues with the SOS button which were not resolved on my 2019 1250RT. The situation wasn't helped by the Covid 19 situation and relatively low use through 2020. In the end Wollaston removed it lock, stock and barrel as that was the only way BMW could ensure the bloody thing didn't keep throwing up error messages. We were heading off to Spain and Portugal for two weeks and I didn't need the grief of warning lights winding my good lady up, she gets anxious enough when the fuel warning light comes on!

Other than that I'm chuffed to bits with the 1250RT - it does everything a tourer should do and then some. Loads of luggage space for two to answer the original post...

A little late to this party but I had endless issues with the SOS button which were not resolved on my 2019 1250RT. The situation wasn't helped by the Covid 19 situation and relatively low use through 2020. In the end Wollaston removed it lock, stock and barrel as that was the only way BMW could ensure the bloody thing didn't keep throwing up error messages. We were heading off to Spain and Portugal for two weeks and I didn't need the grief of warning lights winding my good lady up, she gets anxious enough when the fuel warning light comes on!

Other than that I'm chuffed to bits with the 1250RT - it does everything a tourer should do and then some. Loads of luggage space for two to answer the original post...

They supposedly fixed the SOS button with a new transponder after 6 weeks or so of head scratching. Haven't had any warnings since, that was some 2 years ago. But does it work, well i dropped my bike whilst doing a u turn and nothing came through. So when I got home I did a test call, first time the call failed, second time it rang and rang and nobody answered :) Dealer says it is working, don't think I would rely on it and I wouldn't bother with it again unless I had no choice and it was free.

Having had the RT for a few months now I’ve realised how little the dealer actually knew about the bike.

He couldn’t link the WiFi when I picked it up, told me the oil level was TFT monitored which it isn’t.
Even the mechanic didn’t know the bike had a WiFi connection.

The sales manager has left the business and been replaced by another who only knows about cars.

Doesn’t fill me with confidence.

I know this is an old post but may I ask which dealer this was please ?.

k1600 to a 2021 rt

hi all,
paid the deposit on a 2021 rt,le px against my 2019 gt 1600.
love hate relationship really 3 years enough is enough.
only done 10k on it the last 1k on a new engine ffs.
so done a deal with the rt le i love the boxer engine etc,had the older rt when the k was in againhaving work done,poss gearbox,
had it for 3 months covid etc loved it so now the time.
looking forward to riding it winter and summer .

sorry while im here,
anyone know if the k1600 screens fit the 2021 RT,s ?
they did fit the older one,s.

got the bars,now need a decent can ??
anyone know if theres one about ,thanks.

I've still got a front MachineArt mudguard extender looking for a new home, it was on my 2019 R1250RT. I don't think it fits the 2021-on model though. £30 posted.

Just thought I'd pop back on the forum having owned an '11 air cooled and a '16 water cooled 1200RT previously.
Since then I've had Honda's. A cb1300 and a cbf1000, both of which I've done tours to Spain/Portugal on, clocking around 4,000 miles each time. These have now been sold though I still have a Honda Valkyrie, Royal Enfield and a C90.
The Honda's have been faultless and totally reliable, but, of all things I missed Cruise Control when touring and the comfort was also excellent, with top notch weather protection.
Now in my 70's I'm back looking at "Tourers" again with a view of maybe two or three more Tours before calling it a day.
Now, I loved the RT's but I would never own one outside Warranty.
Things did go wrong. The last one had swing arm replaced due to corrosion.
So, here's my question...
Has reliability improved before I part with my cash, which would be close, as you know, to 20 grand for a nearly new one?
You members would obviously be biased but also you'd be the very best for honest opinions.
All Adventure bikes would be out of the question as being too tall.

I have owned 5 RTs, currently I have a 2019 1250. I also look after a fleet of 1250 RT Blood Bikes, which cover a lot of mileage. First thing to mention as you know, if things do go wrong then you have the excellent warranty.

So faults on the bikes I have owned and our fleet are:

Corrosion - fleet bikes and sorted under warranty
Exhaust flap - they are still sticking, all our bikes including mine have had new headers. This isn't sorted.
SOS Button - I had a fault on my own bike with the SOS function, bit of a pain to get fixed during lockdown, but fixed 2 years ago, all good now.

Apart from the above, nothing but routine servicing.

Back
Top Bottom