Head bearings...

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone know how you adjust them please? Mine are virtually new, less than 1000 miles, failed MOT today on loose head bearings/play.... I didn't notice! Mind you, I didn't notice the old ones were shot, the bike just wandered a bit, so I kept correcting it. There was about 2 inches of fore/aft play at the wheel :D

All done. Not difficult. I think hand tight is about equivalent to the correct torque! My fork legs are M5, not M8 as in the manual page.... The main, centre one is M8. I undid all the lot though, looking at it. By the time I looked and then went outside I couldn't remember.... slackened everything off, tightened everything up.... seems OK. If not, I will ride round whatever problem shows up and fix it when I get back from the deep south in the evening. :thumby:

All done. Not difficult. I think hand tight is about equivalent to the correct torque! My fork legs are M5, not M8 as in the manual page.... The main, centre one is M8. I undid all the lot though, looking at it. By the time I looked and then went outside I couldn't remember.... slackened everything off, tightened everything up.... seems OK. If not, I will ride round whatever problem shows up and fix it when I get back from the deep south in the evening. :thumby:

Simon , I very much doubt the fork leg bolts are M5 , they will be M8 with a 5mm hex head , similarly the top clamping bolt will be a 8mm hex with a M14 thread . I hope you didn’t undo the lower fork bridge bolts as the idea is they stay tight and you loosen the upper fork bridge ones and by tightening the large 8mm hex at the top you draw the two parts together to give the correct play . You’ll soon know if not as you will still have play back and forward and side to side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simon , I very much doubt the fork leg bolts are M5 , they will be M8 with a 5mm hex head , similarly the top clamping bolt will be a 8mm hex with a M14 thread . I hope you didn’t undo the lower fork bridge bolts as the idea is they stay tight and you loosen the upper fork bridge ones and by tightening the large 8mm hex at the top you draw the two parts together to give the correct play . You’ll soon know if not as you will still have play back and forward and side to side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I did... Just home from a wonderful ride to the Big Smoke... left 06.30 ish, just got in an hour ago. Came home without touching a motorway or dual carriageway, mostly A and B roads, but a couple of lesser ones too. She rode brilliantly, 473 miles in the day and 3 bike features photographed, but I will still redo it tomorrow with the bottom ones done up. Thank you.

All done - I could tighten them a bit more with the bigger Allen Keys, which I couldn't find the other day. I can't notice any difference in the ride though. :D

Back
Top Bottom