Black Art..

Bucephalus

Well known for his member.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
In 1974 I bought a nearly new R60, it had the amazing new electric start..😳

Now I thought this had to be cherished, and saved for special occasions, not to be worn out.

So, I usually kick started the bike, unless I was late for work or some other mild emergency.

I now own a R100 PD and have never been able to kick start it, and have stopped now having read that the alloy kick starter is prone to break, and steel after market items were offered back in the day due to this.

Is this generally the case or is there a secret to making fire I’m missing?

I never try to kick start them as I’m a lazy bugger,
However I’m informed that ,
Two or three steady prods in quick succession with the kick start is the best method,
Like winding it up,as opposed to a hefty fast kick
Let us know how you get on:D

I never try to kick start them as I’m a lazy bugger,
However I’m informed that ,
Two or three steady prods in quick succession with the kick start is the best method,
Like winding it up,as opposed to a hefty fast kick
Let us know how you get on:D

I’d be happy to do it just the once for self satisfaction, and to know I can, but have been using the hefty fast kick.:rolleyes:

Not getting on.

No luck whatsoever, I’m thinking my R60/5 all those years ago, had the kick start footplate set lower than the PD, so you could get your weight over it, rather than the John Cleese pump up method..:D

Also I guess I’m now battling age as much as compression; by comparison of the 600 v 1000 cc’s then and now.

I won’t try again as I’ve now been told I could damage the gearbox..:eek:

I was talking to a (quite elderly) biker this week with his R50/2.

He was impressing me with how easy it was to start by pressing the kick leaver with his hand. :bow

I’ve a friend who does this with his MG 500cc Falcone..:mad:

...had an R60/5 in the 70's too...and low and behold...i snapped thge kick start! ... fotunately the miserable (but talented) old welder where i worked welded it back together...:aidan

At least my old Venom has a valve lifter, and tickler, which is the secret I think :nenau

Battling against 1000’s of compression, short stroke Kickstarter, and Bing set-up is impossible when cold.

The Jap Mikuni style Carb, on many 70’s bikes had the lever which although was referred to as ‘The Choke’ was actually gave an extra shot of petrol, an enricher, an upgrade to many Thruxton’s which were impossible to tick-over on an Amal GP.

I’ve no Choke on mine, set the Mag and flood the bugger cold, and hey presto.🏍💥

Excuse my indulgence.

Back
Top Bottom