GSA seat slope

Hi Jerry, sadly if ever there was a truism this is it. "Usually if it's worth having you have to pay". When you consider we pay well north of 20K in some instances for a loaded GS/A and then bulk at making it comfortable, always makes me smile. Apart from well over 50,000 miles on the Russell myself, half of the Iron Butt Rally competitors had RDL. ALL of the top 10 had them. That speaks volumes to me. I ride long but also ride comfortable. The puritans may say, 'but the Russell is ugly or some, say if it doesn't hurt you can't be enjoying it'. Well OK good luck and cheerio.

Anyway sourcing a seat to send to Russell is somewhat problematic. There are four routes that I know of, 1) send the original and garage the bike. Doable in the winter over Xmas maybe. 2) Buy a Sargent or Chinese knock off for the duration and sell on when done, 3) buy another new BMW saddle, use it whilst yours is being fettled then store ready for the trade in and move your Russell to the new bike. (fingers crossed BMW does not change the fittings etc) and finally 4) by a second hand seat in the USA on the internet and have it sent directly to Russell. None of this is rocket science and provided you don't want 'next day' delivery service freight costs are relatively cheap. I sent my original from Vienna Austria to California for €35!!.

Of all the methods I prefer the buy a cheap BMW OEM replacement for occasional use over the winter say December and January whilst awaiting return of the Russell and keep it for when the bike is moved on. One thing is for sure, once you've ridden a Russell you won't want anything else. I've tried many others over time, they do not hold a candle to Russell. And yes I do have some acreage of an ass but hey ho, it loves a Russell ;-).

Hope this help, my new Russell arrives in 2-3 weeks and I'm off on a 10K trip immediately its delivered :)

Good luck Kev. I'll let you know how I get on with my Russell which arrives in 2-3 weeks especially with its anti slide 'Gripper' vinyl and riders ass pocket ;-)

So I now have my rallye seat back from Saddlecraft Tyneside. He has done what I asked and made the seat horizontal. My god its high, 940mm. havnt ridden it yet , raining. Attached are the before and after pics. I just cant get the pics the right way up, sorry.

Attachments

• 20210625_101439.jpg
    20210625_101439.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 20210929_155850.jpg
    20210929_155850.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 269
Sorted

Attachments

• C14AE115-7E8B-4917-8BCC-EE43D3D5F40B.jpeg
    C14AE115-7E8B-4917-8BCC-EE43D3D5F40B.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 258
  • 4208F039-C87D-41E6-95C1-B501E84D32AC.jpeg
    4208F039-C87D-41E6-95C1-B501E84D32AC.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 264
Waiting to test out the new seat and guess what. Durham Council salted the roads last night. So thats only June, july and August salt free this year !

The photos are on my laptop. They look fine but when uploaded they get rotated. So I go back to my laptop and rotate them so they are wrong , hoping that will correct it. No matter what orientation they are on my laptop the upload puts them wrong on the post. Wonder if its how I held the phone when taking the pics.

Be interesting to see what you think of the seat comfort. Les did my Rallye and he’s done most bikes I’ve had over the last 10 years. Seats these days are made for how they look on the bike, rather than how comfortable they are!!

Yeh I must admit the reworked seat dosnt look as good, its fat and chunky but Its got to be more comfortable. Maybe higher bar risers and screen are next !
Les is extremely busy , does a great job but you have to wait a long time !

My Rallye seat as standard was much better than my standard gsa and as good as my kahedo comfort seats but the slope was a pain, after being altered by Saddlecraft it is even better than the kahedo seats, yes it is tall but worth it

I have some Rox Risers available you could try if you want? I’m outskirts of Newcastle.

Thanks r1, thats kind. Should get a test ride soon. I have 40mm straight risers at the moment. Clutch cable however is on the limit on full lock. Hopefully I wont need to go any higher

Thanks r1, thats kind. Should get a test ride soon. I have 40mm straight risers at the moment. Clutch cable however is on the limit on full lock. Hopefully I wont need to go any higher

with riser you can get a little more cable room by just lifting bars a little, bars more back make cable more tight, hope this makes logic

I have now had my test ride with the sky high modified rallye seat. Oh its lovely. For the first time in 50 years of riding my seat area and legs feel so comfortable. No sliding or rolling forward and I can sit as far back as I want, only limited by the position of the bars.
I have attached some pics.
How can anyone make a GSA with high seat look so small. Look at that tiny back wheel. A doctor once said to me - do you suffer with back pain, I said no, he said well you will do as you have the longest back I have ever seen. That was 30 years ago, and yes he was right.

Attachments

• 20211001_145409.jpg
    20211001_145409.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 20211001_150705.jpg
    20211001_150705.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG-20211001-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20211001-WA0005.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 440
I have now had my test ride with the sky high modified rallye seat. Oh its lovely. For the first time in 50 years of riding my seat area and legs feel so comfortable. No sliding or rolling forward and I can sit as far back as I want, only limited by the position of the bars.
How can anyone make a GSA with high seat look so small. Look at that tiny back wheel. A doctor once said to me - do you suffer with back pain, I said no, he said well you will do as you have the longest back I have ever seen. That was 30 years ago, and yes he was right.

Sure that bike isn't a 3/4 scale model

Now i see the problem, wow yes you are tall, next modification, more heavyweight spring for rear shock, if you sit far back, it will just make ride better, less lighter on front wheel.

Yes the pic made me laugh, and thats with a High Rallye seat that has been raised a lot . Probably 930mm now. I am 6 foot 5 but my height seems to be in my back. Looks like I have the wrong legs in the pic .

Hi Jerry, sadly if ever there was a truism this is it. "Usually if it's worth having you have to pay". When you consider we pay well north of 20K in some instances for a loaded GS/A and then bulk at making it comfortable, always makes me smile. Apart from well over 50,000 miles on the Russell myself, half of the Iron Butt Rally competitors had RDL. ALL of the top 10 had them. That speaks volumes to me. I ride long but also ride comfortable. The puritans may say, 'but the Russell is ugly or some, say if it doesn't hurt you can't be enjoying it'. Well OK good luck and cheerio.

Anyway sourcing a seat to send to Russell is somewhat problematic. There are four routes that I know of, 1) send the original and garage the bike. Doable in the winter over Xmas maybe. 2) Buy a Sargent or Chinese knock off for the duration and sell on when done, 3) buy another new BMW saddle, use it whilst yours is being fettled then store ready for the trade in and move your Russell to the new bike. (fingers crossed BMW does not change the fittings etc) and finally 4) by a second hand seat in the USA on the internet and have it sent directly to Russell. None of this is rocket science and provided you don't want 'next day' delivery service freight costs are relatively cheap. I sent my original from Vienna Austria to California for €35!!.

Of all the methods I prefer the buy a cheap BMW OEM replacement for occasional use over the winter say December and January whilst awaiting return of the Russell and keep it for when the bike is moved on. One thing is for sure, once you've ridden a Russell you won't want anything else. I've tried many others over time, they do not hold a candle to Russell. And yes I do have some acreage of an ass but hey ho, it loves a Russell ;-).

Hope this help, my new Russell arrives in 2-3 weeks and I'm off on a 10K trip immediately its delivered :)

Thanks BigT - useful ideas. Very good point that I’d not want to sell on with a seat like that on & would need saddle on bike when sold. I really shouldn’t just look at these posts late at night 😉

Thanks BigT - useful ideas. Very good point that I’d not want to sell on with a seat like that on & would need saddle on bike when sold. I really shouldn’t just look at these posts late at night ��

Hi Jerry, Kev et al,

My Russell arrived yesterday, yehaaaa. To put it mildly the seat has NOT disappointed. Welcome home Russell :).

I'm off to (change of plan) Corsica, Sardinia then Spain tomorrow. Yesterday was a test ride for the new seat and to figure out which configuration (Hi/Lo/Front/Rear) worked best, ready for our trip. I've also rotated my bars up and forward which, given how small the movement is, has made a marked difference for the good.

Anyway back to the seat. For me low at the front and high at the back works best. I'm sat in the 'pocket' in perfect comfort and no tendency to slide forward helped by the 'Gripper' vinyl on the seat. With the Sargent seat the reverse was true. I'll keep the Sargent to sell on when the bike gets traded for a 1300 GSA ;-). The Russell has also raised me maybe a 1/2 inch. Leg angle feels better on my lowered (30mm) pegs and I raised my Puig Touring screen maybe an 1 inch to counter the height gain. This is probably too much but will refine as we ride. I've got 6 hrs of 80 Mph freeway tomorrow followed by another 5 the next day to Livorno and the overnight ferry to Sardinia.

Will update later on Russell impressions a la GSA but there is no doubt the sofa I loved so much on my GTL has returned, I am a happy boy :) Stay safe guys. Regards, Tony.

Attachments

• b004be68-15ea-454d-b22c-eb6884ad257c.jpg
    b004be68-15ea-454d-b22c-eb6884ad257c.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 290

Back
Top Bottom