1967 Norton 650SS

Billd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've enjoyed riding my 1960 Triumph 650 more than any bike I've had in recent years. Probably because I like working on bikes as well as riding them. Their not frantic out on the road, no need to pass or go 100 mph to have fun. To that end I bought another okd bike much like the one I grew up with, 1967 Norton 650SS with a few Paul Dunstall bits the rarest being dual disc front brakes that I'm told are on par with TLS brake of the same era!

Attachments

• n14 (2).jpg
    n14 (2).jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 563
  • n11 (2).jpg
    n11 (2).jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 556
  • n12 (2).jpg
    n12 (2).jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 552
  • n17.jpg
    n17.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 566
Cor, that's very sweet, health to enjoy Sir

That is a lovely bike and , as you imply, will handle and stick to the road on a par with just about any modern bike. Better than most, given its relatively modest power output!

Here's one I saw at the Manx in 2018. Lot's of well thought out mods ...

P1080664.jpg

I've enjoyed riding my 1960 Triumph 650 more than any bike I've had in recent years. Probably because I like working on bikes as well as riding them. Their not frantic out on the road, no need to pass or go 100 mph to have fun. To that end I bought another okd bike much like the one I grew up with, 1967 Norton 650SS with a few Paul Dunstall bits the rarest being dual disc front brakes that I'm told are on par with TLS brake of the same era!

The Triumph is nice, but as Tim says the Norton is beautiful!:bow:bow

That really is lovely :)

Excuse my ignorance and this is a silly question but those calipers, are they really part of the lower fork leg, I can't see from the pictures how they are attached?

Andres

That really is lovely :)

Excuse my ignorance and this is a silly question but those calipers, are they really part of the lower fork leg, I can't see from the pictures how they are attached?

Andres

They are intracule to the lower fork legs and were sold by Dunstall briefly in the late 60's. Their performance is questionably better than the TLS brake of the same era. I just like the uniqueness of them

A close up of the front calliper

Attachments

• 1967-norton-650ss-60a60a14f2fdc.jpg
    1967-norton-650ss-60a60a14f2fdc.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 498
Lovely looking bike that appears to exude class. Makes me feel 16 again just to see it, and I’m a lifelong Vincent man!
Thanks for showing it.

That's a lovely bike you've got there. About 10 or 12 years ago I acquired a 1968 650 mercury that was in boxes, my plan was to convert it into something resembling a 650ss as I didn't like the pale blue colour scheme of the Mercury. I even considered a Unity Equip cafe racer conversion for it. However certain domestic events caused me to abandon the project and sell it on. Seeing your bike has now made me regret even more moving the bike on.

I hope you get many miles and years of enjoyment from your bike. :beerjug:

Thanks Fatal and thank all of you for your comments and interest in the old bike. I really like it and am looking forward to riding it.................and working on it!!

I was considering putting these on ebay, are they of interest to you?

Attachments

• norton books.jpg
    norton books.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 463
Norton 650 was the first clutch bike I ever rode.

Was in first year at Lancaster University 1978, in the bike club with my grey £5 Honda C50, when I was offered a ride around the 1.5 mile perimeter road on Lawrence’s Norton 650.

What could ever go wrong ?

As soon as I let the clutch out I slid to the back of the seat, hanging on to handlebars with stretched arms as it went off like a rocket (it’s all relative when you have only ever ridden a C50). I managed to slowly get back into a seated position so I could at least control the throttle.

Next there’s a roundabout to deal with and the brakes don’t seem to do anything. Who needs gears - it was so fast enough in first. Another roundabout, getting comfortable so did a few controlled twists of the throttle and relieved I’m back to where I started. Here’s your bike Lawrence, thanks.

It was very kind of him to let me use his bike, perhaps I should have started riding a clutch bike on Roger’s Honda CB125.

An update photo! the tank that was on it was a Rickman replica that I suspect was made in India. It developed a leak, while getting it weld repaired it blew up, thank god the welder was not injured. The tank had been washed out and was being purged with a non combustible gas. The reason it blew up was the tank had multiple tank coatings, I suspect this is what the India manufactures do to prevent leaks as a result of dodgy welding. Replaced the tank with a Holt Works short circuit tank, top quality unit!!

Still loving the bike, have got about 1600 miles on it now.

Attachments

• ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 200
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 198
Sorry to hear about the old tank….. but the new one looks better IMHO ( I do like the short circuit style tanks on tritons etc)

Bike looks great. Hope you continue to enjoy it for many years to come

Back
Top Bottom