Volt meter recomendations…

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
To give me comfort that the charging system is doing what it’s supposed to be doing I had considered fitting a volt meter - Saw this on eBay, any other recommendations.

Sat in traffic today I noticed the charge light did not go quite out (slight, dim flicker) when rev'd - Put the meter on it when I got home and it showed charging at c15.4 volts.

Swapped the regulator and it was back to c14.3, put the old one back on and it was back to c14.3 when rev'd

Are these meters a good reflection of how it’s charging and battery condition when off?

TIA

Attachments

• 0052C2FF-6952-4958-A136-5B7C0BC10D36.jpg
    0052C2FF-6952-4958-A136-5B7C0BC10D36.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 209
Voltmeters will tell you the voltage, which is helpful, but an ammeter tells you the current in or out of the battery, which might be more useful.

But more hassle to fit. Voltmeter is cheap & simple to install.

With the charging system on Guzzis, and Airhead BMWs, a voltmeter is useful to let you know when the rotor has given up and the battery has stopped charging as you ride.

On my Convert I used a BMW voltmeter in a G/S pod. Worked well, but not a great idea now as the pods fetch daft money. On my G/S i have a similar arrangement in what was the rev counter pod. I switched to this after using a voltage sensing LED which worked OK, but was forever switching colours as the regulator switched in and out, and was somewhat distracting at night.

I switched to this after using a voltage sensing LED which worked OK, but was forever switching colours as the regulator switched in and out, and was somewhat distracting at night.

I've got one of those fitted in the instrument console to my old Cali.
Lights up Red, orange, green. Only time the colours dance around is at idle speed, whcih i don't mind, in fact i find it comforting knowing it's working.as it should. :D

I’ve only just noticed it so think it’s new - but the charge light does not seem to go completely out, there’s a very dim slight flicker.

It’s out after first starting and also if I put the headlight on but with no headlight on and after it’s been run a while the charge light goes from bright to what appears to be off as you’d expect but it’s not quite off!

Just tested with the meter again after a ride home and it’s charging when rev'd at c14.7 - I’m sure the best I saw before was c14.3v

Thanks for the feedback

There are loads of websites with alternator info, but it’s difficult to find a definitive guide.

14.5V seems a common upper limit, but there are lots of examples of up to 15V so I would not panic about 14.7.

It’s quick & easy to check the brushes, ensure they are clean, oil free, not broken up or excessively worn and in good contact with the slip rings.

Assuming you have a multimeter, check the resistance of the rotor coil. Probably best to do this via the brushes, and check resistance to ground whilst you’re at it.

I suspect you’ll find no issues. Fingers crossed.

Atb
Simon

The old mechanical regulators seem to charge at a higher rate than the newer solid state ones IME.

Back
Top Bottom