My Route nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my problem was that the route looked fine on the bike as i set off, for whatever reason something changed as i was riding.
i did notice on the first day, i set off with the straight lines showing, as i was just going round the corner to my mates house i left it, thinking i wuld sort it there. By the time i got round the corner i looked down and it had snapped to the roads??
so i left it.

this has never been an issue before because like most people i just put my destination in and went directly.
this is the first time i wanted to ride a particular route, i decided not to blast all the way to North Scotland on motorways, i took the chance to take nicer forests routes etc.

I have fixed my basecamp problem, i reinstalled the maps to the PC and it seems to be lots quicker!
unless i did something else by accident while i was messing in the settings.

I did change the routing options in preferences, which now calculated routes better, i had highways and another one ticked that must have meant A roads (not sure the name, im at work at the moment on my work computer)

The main advantage i find when planning routes in MRA is the fact you can plan in google maps within the app, then once done change the trip to HERE maps before sending to the GPS.
i have to be honest, its not impossible to work with the HERE map such as the basecamp display it just means i have to open google on my 2nd monitor to find POI such as castles/monuments/fuel/campsites etc
Basecamp works great once you learn the shortcuts to move things

Excellent.

You now have BaseCamp working on your PC. You also understand the reasons why you had the problems and!(more importantly) how to cure them, should they appear again. Get out to try using all you have learnt, learning how your Nav VI functions. Your idea of trying something local is a good one.

The way i read it, if you use a shaping point when you build the route, it is only a shaping point. The route doesn't 'have to go there'. If you then load it from lap top to device with recalculate in the settings, the very first calculate the route (like ... load it into the nav) will instantly ignore those shaping points, because they're not 'must go to' points. If your recalculate is off, it will load the exact route.

Recalculate off, on the device just means that if you deviate from the planned route the device will leave it up to you whether you ignore the planned route or make your own way back to it whereas recalculate on, on the device means if you deviate from the planned route the device will recalculate from your current position for your destination according to the route activity, mode and avoidances set in the device and will ignore any of the way points via points you carefully planned in.

Recalculate on or off has nothing to do with the recalculation the device alway does when importing a new gpx file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recalculate off, on the device just means that if you deviate from the planned route the device will leave it up to you whether you ignore the planned route or make your own way back to it whereas recalculate on, on the device means if you deviate from the planned route the device will recalculate from your current position for your destination according to the route activity, mode and avoidances set in the device and will ignore any of the way points via points you carefully planned in.

Recalculate on or off has nothing to do with the recalculation the device alway does when importing a new gpx file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep correct. I have loaded routes from MRA, then at a later date, switched recalculate off when I was going to use the file to Nav from. Makes no difference to how it loads.

There you go everyone, MRA can and does work. Just as BaseCamp can and does work, too Why some have difficulty with MRA and / or BaseCamp and / or their GPS devices, is another matter entirely.

MRA works just fine for me with a Garmin XT. Create routes on my Mac, then on my phone I save them as .gpx to Garmin Drive which then sends them wirelessly to the XT. No problems at all.

Barnoe has had his specific problem solved and is happy.

Start a separate thread on the trials, tribulations, theories, misconceptions and “My mate says…” of recalculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom