Exped Inflatable Pillow

Sleeping bags is an easy one. Just buy either a Mountain Equipment or Rab one and you’ll get years of good service out of it.

Don’t start asking whether to get down or synthetic fill because it’s worse than asking which grade of Loctite to put on disc mounting bolts.

Rab do some very nice bags but all seem to be 70 / 75cm shoulder width. I have very broad shoulders and don’t think I’d fit in them. My current bag ( Snugpak Softie 12 Osprey ) is also very narrow and it’s like being in a straight jacket!:blast. The fit with the rest of the bag is fine though. You can get “in fill” panels for the Snugpak ones but not the older models! :blast
Off to look at Mountain Equipment ones now.
Criterion do a nice one though. 80cm wide. :thumb2
https://downsleepingbag.co.uk/sleeping-bags/Criterion-Traveller-750-Sleeping-Bag-MT750.html#SID=17

One thing they do share in common are the laughable ratings.

If a sleeping bag claims to be good for -15c, it is just about good enough for a slight ground frost.

But my experience is based on a T-Shirt & underpants, and not thermal leggings, merino top, down jacket & wooly hat.

There’s more fat on a butchers pencil than there is on me so I’ve got a down bag rated to -35c and was fine at -20c but I was wearing thermals and had a thick layer of straw underneath my tent and a Thermarest mattress under my sleeping bag.

I used to take a small gas lantern with me to winter bike rallies and leave the cylinder in my sleeping bag to keep it warm but still went through a period of very weak light until the tent had warmed up and the gas started to flow properly.

Have you got a gas lantern yet Udders? 😀

UCCO ,9 hour candle lantern :thumb2
Light and heat :thumb2

Ordered one just to try it! :D :thumb2

I have one and find the citronella candles designed to keep the midges away, make me sneeze!

I reverted back to the standard candles & quite like the thing now! :beerjug:

I ordered the beeswax ones cos it said they burn cleaner. :nenau
I’ll give one a go next weekend. :thumb2

Apropos nothing relevant ,,,,,, I met a fellow Nordkapper camper ,, on the return ferry to Denmark , a German chap awful nice fellow , word perfect English ,, hadn’t changed his socks once in the 4 weeks he had been away :D
Mibbies it’s a German thing :D

Apropos nothing relevant ,,,,,, I met a fellow Nordkapper camper ,, on the return ferry to Denmark , a German chap awful nice fellow , word perfect English ,, hadn’t changed his socks once in the 4 weeks he had been away :D

That’s pushing it a bit. I’ve gone a week without washing or changing merino thermals on numerous occasions but they don’t stink and I could possibly make them last for 2 weeks but socks for 4 weeks is pretty grim.

Wow! :eek: That’s a bit grim! :barf

One thing they do share in common are the laughable ratings.

If a sleeping bag claims to be good for -15c, it is just about good enough for a slight ground frost.

But my experience is based on a T-Shirt & underpants, and not thermal leggings, merino top, down jacket & wooly hat.

Totally !
I think the temperature rating is when you are wearing thermal clothes, a thick hat, thermal socks etc etc
Basically as far as I can tell , it’s the temperature at which you will just about stay alive, but not be able to sleep 🥲

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom