Safety Camera Data - ON A TOM TOM - BMW Tom Tom navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am currently the proud? owner of a Nav VI but also have the TFT on my bike.
I have an adaptor to mount my phone in the BMW bracket so could migrate to the BMW Tom Tom navigation.
I noticed on the Tom Tom site they mention speed cameras but I haven't found out how to add these to the app.

Anyone know how to do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently the proud? owner of a Nav VI but also have the TFT on my bike.
I have an adaptor to mount my phone in the BMW bracket so could migrate to the BMW Tom Tom navigation.
I noticed on the Tom Tom site they mention speed cameras but I haven't found out how to add these to the app.

Anyone know how to do this?

On the garmin, you hook it up, log in and it gives you a list of available freemium updates ;)

When i had my TT I purchased a separate update for speed cams, via a speedcam website, if i recall it was just a matter of dropping the file into a folder on the TT. It did the rest itself

On the garmin, you hook it up, log in and it gives you a list of available freemium updates ;)

When i had my TT I purchased a separate update for speed cams, via a speedcam website, if i recall it was just a matter of dropping the file into a folder on the TT. It did the rest itself

I am cool with the Garmin, this is the BMW Tom Tom version and therefore nothing sticks out as to how you get the Cameras updated.

Although the TomTom website indicates that camera info is supplied to the BMW system ( https://www.tomtom.com/customers/bmw-motorrad/ ) I haven't found anything in the BMW blurb which suggests that that is indeed the case.

After the latest app update, some of us are noting that the traffic information is no longer displayed on the map (2021 RT) either.

If you mean the BMW Connected app which uses TomTom mapping services then their is no speed camera capability in the app. BMW just use TomTom mapping/navigation data, like being licensed to use Google Maps data in other apps.

EDIT - Having just visited the link you posted it does indeed say there is speed camera data, but there is definitely no way to toggle this on in the app and nor is there an option in the Beta version of the app which I'm running. TomTom might be providing it to BMW but they are not exposing that to the end user sadly.

If you mean the BMW Connected app which uses TomTom mapping services then their is no speed camera capability in the app. BMW just use TomTom mapping/navigation data, like being licensed to use Google Maps data in other apps.

EDIT - Having just visited the link you posted it does indeed say there is speed camera data, but there is definitely no way to toggle this on in the app and nor is there an option in the Beta version of the app which I'm running. TomTom might be providing it to BMW but they are not exposing that to the end user sadly.

Another great move by BMW then!

There's a guy commenting on Jim the Highland rider's Youtube thread (re RT connection problems) who says that the BMW app is better than his Zumo XT :nenau

Takes all sorts I guess.....

Another great move by BMW then!

I suspect it might have something to do with displaying speed camera alerts on the dashboard. I know the RT can display the whole map and my GSA can only display turn by turn, but given it uses the app to know the speed limit theres likely nothing stopping them technically showing a warning. But I wonder if it's got something to do with laws preventing motor manufacturers offering that information on the dash in case it contravenes some EU law or even a safety standard.

My almost brand new Ford Fiesta has traffic sign recognition and Ford's latest satnav and will happily tell me the speed limit but won't display anything speed camera related. I imagine it's probably more likely to be a law/rule/something that means they CAN'T show the data on the TFT as opposed to they just WON'T do it.

There's a guy commenting on Jim the Highland rider's Youtube thread (re RT connection problems) who says that the BMW app is better than his Zumo XT :nenau

Takes all sorts I guess.....

Hmmm not sure I'd agree with that! I've never ridden the RT with the new dash but I don't find the BMW app particularly "slick" and well designed for advanced routing purposes. General A to B stuff it's fine but anything thats more detailed for me it falls down. But each to their own haha

Does the SCDB work? They list BMW Motorrad.

scdb

There is also a free sample to see if it will load b4 buying: tomtom

I don't see how you could integrate any camera database with the maps in the BMW connected ride app? Unless you're an ace Android or iOS coder and can hack into the OS and file system somehow....

I don't see how you could integrate any camera database with the maps in the BMW connected ride app? Unless you're an ace Android or iOS coder and can hack into the OS and file system somehow....

Even if you could, getting the TFT to actually display a warning is a whole new kettle of fish. I don't ever see BMW making the TFT (even the 10.5 RT one) display camera info.

Even if you could, getting the TFT to actually display a warning is a whole new kettle of fish. I don't ever see BMW making the TFT (even the 10.5 RT one) display camera info.

They are only POI's with a proximity alert.

Can you add Starbucks POI's? :D

Unless they have actively blocked them somehow, there should be a way.

They are only POI's with a proximity alert.

Can you add Starbucks POI's? :D

Unless they have actively blocked them somehow, there should be a way.

I'm sure technically its possible, but not with the current app functionality. They'd need to allow the database to be loaded or provide it as a service and also allow the dash to alert you. I will bet money they'll never do it, as to why I wouldn't like to say. It's illegal in France to have your GPS displaying speed camera locations so I wouldn't be surprised if it's disallowed in other countries too.

My brand new Fiesta has all the bells and whistles, but has no way to show me speed camera locations and I've asked a few friends with other modern cars and their integrated sat nav's don't have the feature either so maybe it's just a "thing" within the vehicle manufacturer world.

I'm sure technically its possible, but not with the current app functionality.

I was forgetting it was an "app"
Can you not import any type of POI's to it? like campsites etc.

Have a look at the POI Pocket (app). Don't bother. Pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom