New member, long time lurker...

ScruffyDroid

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have recently joined the forum, but have had an interested in Airheads, since the R90S was introduced. Living in South Africa, it was a schoolboy's dream - the early to mid-1970's was an interesting, if not tricky time. No money, but the big Beemer featured heavily on this boy's dream wall. I had to make do with a Honda Monkey (I was 11 and my father turned a blind-eye to me taking it over as a field bike). When I turned 16, a Yamaha SS50, became my legal transport. Once I started work after military conscription, a KDX 200 was next, and all things KDX became a lifelong love. I bought and rebuilt a KD 220R, five years ago.

I purchased a 1990 R100RT 4 years ago in the UK, where I have lived for 21 years. It was in "oily rag" original condition, with 40 000 miles under the clock, with regular servicing, but general neglect. 3 years ago, Neil Harrison put a new clutch on for me, since after doing the spline lube myself, the clutch started slipping and not engaging once the gear train got hot. I found myself using it less and less, since the bulky touring package deterred from the abundance of country lanes and relatively slow speeds and potholes. Highway motoring isn't any fun here - motorway lane discipline is horrendous and the HGV's engage in elephant races in the first two lanes of all the motorways.

With that, I decided to start a project to make the bike useable for my intentions - remove the touring package and make it more suitable for bimbling through the countryside. I coincidentally came across a Belgian guy (and his brother) on YouTube (Thomas C & Ruben C) who converted their R's into "street scramblers". I know that this subject is hugely controversial, and the "brown seat brigade" are looked down upon by the "traditionalists".

I am about to raise the ire and convert it for my personal use case. I am sorry if that offends some people, but rest assured, if anyone wants to make use of the RT bits, they will be sympathetically removed and stored for future re-use by someone who wishes to restore an RT.

Take care and ride safe!

Thanks. I'm building energy to start the build part of the project... Paint colour for the tank is the difficult bit and deciding what to paint the engine barrels and heads with too!

Oh Lordy, that's sure to raise the ire of some in the Airheads section :D

If you subscribe, a measly £12 a year, you can sell your leftover RT parts & maybe buy some more 'suitable' bits in the relevant FS&W sections

Welcome to the site :beerjug:

Good Afternoon and welcome to this great place.:)

Back
Top Bottom