Potential new owner with some questions

Yogibear69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some help please, im looking at a urban or a scrambler and love the look of the knobbly tyres, What are they like to ride and live with? The dealer was talking about a 50/50 set are a good compromise?
Also anything else to look out for as looking at a couple of years old model, i have had a test ride on a newer one and love the feel and rock and roll the air cooled 1200 gives but like the more upright position of the scrambler and urban.
If anyone knows of ones up for sale please let me know
thanks
fraser

I have an Urban GS with the TKC80s which are surprisingly good on wet or dry roads and as the bike isn't realy an off road bike that's where I stay.The Michelin's which are normally fitted to the Scrambler don't seem to be so highly regarded. But its only tyres so they can changed. I will be going with Trail Attacks as soon as these tyres stop working. Good hunting.

IIRC the Urban comes on TKC80's and the Scrambler on Karoo III's

I've had TKC80's on my 06 GSA and they were fine. I even have them on my current Bonneville T100 and again no issues

The Karoo III's however are just plain fucking scary. They came on the R-Nine T Scrambler I had. The bike drops in to a corner all fine then all of a sudden it's like you are falling of the edge of the tyre. I wouldn't have them as a gift :eek:

IIRC the Urban comes on TKC80's and the Scrambler on Karoo III's

I've had TKC80's on my 06 GSA and they were fine. I even have them on my current Bonneville T100 and again no issues

The Karoo III's however are just plain fucking scary. They came on the R-Nine T Scrambler I had. The bike drops in to a corner all fine then all of a sudden it's like you are falling of the edge of the tyre. I wouldn't have them as a gift :eek:
Agree with all of that. I’m also a fan of TKC70’s. I’ve had them on two Rninet’s now and they work well on tarmac road and gravel roads. There is now a TKC70 Rock for the rear that is a little more open tread.

As everyone has stated the TKC80s came as standard on my Urban and I love them. They look great and suit the bike perfectly, I used them on my old 1150GSA for a trip to Morocco and they were great on both tarmac and the loose stuff. Need to ride a little more carefully in the wet and also know that if using them mainly for tarmac you’ll probably only get somewhere between 3-4K miles from the rear…
There are times when I am riding that I have to remind myself that I’m on knobblies…

Thanks all for the replies, its a great help. The bike im looking at seems to have three quarter new tyres so its not too bad to use them and maybe if i dont get on with them i can go with a more road tyre like the tkc 70s as they seem very good. it would be nice to keep them as i think they make the bike look good and i think we all want to open the garage door and want that look of love. ;-)
Think its time to get my wallet out and spend some monies.
I will post some pics up when i get it

Hi Yogibear69, I’m pretty much at the same point that you are, I’ve decided I want a UGS and now find myself searching for the right bike… price, equipment, location etc. Hope your purchase goes well 👍🏼

Hi Yogibear69, I’m pretty much at the same point that you are, I’ve decided I want a UGS and now find myself searching for the right bike… price, equipment, location etc. Hope your purchase goes well 👍🏼
Loads of different options to choose from and a great bike to farckle with and make it your own… Personally, I’d recommend changing the rear suspension unit and the rear tail piece. I went with a Wilbers shock made for my weight and the Wunderlich Enduro rear end… I absolutely love mine and think it’s a keeper… The more I ride it the more I love it… If I can work out a way to get all my camping gear on it I’d probably get rid of the GSA and only have the Urban…

Attachments

• 41734B13-A7AB-4795-B3EC-15FB940C0FA3.jpg
    41734B13-A7AB-4795-B3EC-15FB940C0FA3.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 187

Back
Top Bottom