Bike failed me again

Bloody hell.!!

( what is a DME and what does it do.? )

DME = digital motor electronics. Possibly the term they use for the ECU.

If it is this you’re rather unlucky.

Just home from very nice super wet ride, chance to see friend ex BMW tech and he say he has seen this problem 2 times and it was ignition switch the part you put key in had defekt and this gave same symptoms you have, please ask BMW to check that first before spend lot cash.

Not to spoil the party.
But inserting a used ECU might cause a problem.

In the car world some premium brands make their ECU in such a manner that the new ECU may be programmed to the VIN of a vehicle once. As the VIN is entered, after a short periode of time the ECU blocks it self from changing the VIN number. The objective is theft protection.
The ECU in the LC boxer is a car type, and from a premium brand.

I'm not saying for sure this will be an issue if trying to fit a used unit. But if the problem should arise, I wouldn't be surprised..

It's very unlikely that a Motorrad dealership would fit a second hand ECU and then code it into the bike.

Having said that, if that's a route you want to explore, it might be worth talking to Calum Baker at Central Customs, Martin.

https://www.centralcustoms.co.uk
This had crossed my mind Mike, but I didn’t know the guy’s name or company until last Wednesday. JC have the bike and I’m not sure I would want to put a used unit in a 2nd hand bike so I think I just have to take the pain.

If you take the pain at least you should have a 2 year warranty with them carrying out the work

and tell them if it does not work you expect to be fully reimbursed !

(Or get bloody good trade in price against a newer bike! )

If you take the pain at least you should have a 2 year warranty with them carrying out the work

and tell them if it does not work you expect to be fully reimbursed !

(Or get bloody good trade in price against a newer bike! )
We are of one mind there!

Marvellous, Great minds etc

I would also be asking for a reimbursement for the last event and original parts refitted
I’m not sure about that. I did manage to ride about 550 miles between the events so whilst it’s likely that the two events are connected, it’ll be difficult to prove.

Back
Top Bottom